Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
10,646 Posts
I have seen firsthand the devastation hurricane Ian did to the groves in Central Fl. it is bad! there are still some with the smaller trees that survived pretty good. just a few on the edges blown over. the rest still had most of their leaves and the fruit was about half blown off and lying on the ground. but there is a lot of other groves that were wiped out. there will definitely be a shortage of citrus fruit because of the storm. even the peach trees that are starting to be planted instead of citrus (because of all the citrus diseases) were hit hard too.

· The outer edge of civilization
17,030 Posts
I fired up my Google-fu and found a couple of lists of other foods that are rich in Vit. C

Thankfully I like a lot of the foods on this list. Except Brussel Sprouts. I am not going to eat little green golf balls!

· Registered
3,041 Posts
I love grapefruit, Lipitor clearly states Get you doctors approval before including it in your diet. As for vitamin C, I'm not adverse to taking vitamins and do so on a daily basis. And Glucosamine, that works wonders for my knees.
I'm with you on the grapefruits. Unfortunately my kids hate them. And we are hard pressed to get the big juicy pink one's that were so available at HEB here in Southeastern Ohio. At the grocery stores it is typically $8 for a sack of some very sad sour grapefruits.

· Registered
9,228 Posts
That's what I was kinda getting at...do I need to invest in some supplement?
IMHO - they have made me a much healthier person filling in nutrients I don't regularly get in my diet. A good multi-vitamin, and some specialty vitamins. Presser Vision for your eyes, Zinc for improved immune systems, B Complex for energy, Cinnamon for reducing surgar issues (it has virtually stopped my desire for sweets), and Quercetin that is know for anti-virus properties in combo with Zinc. Cashews and almonds are healthy food. One item I am going to check out is CoQ10, will be getting a bottle of gelcaps and try it out.
As for me, I do eat Pork 50% (mostly lean), Chicken 40%, and Beef 10%, fish occassionally. I have felt better cutting down on the amount of beef and have been doing this for over two years.

· Super Moderator
14,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMHO - they have made me a much healthier person filling in nutrients I don't regularly get in my diet. A good multi-vitamin, and some specialty vitamins. Presser Vision for your eyes, Zinc for improved immune systems, B Complex for energy, Cinnamon for reducing surgar issues (it has virtually stopped my desire for sweets), and Quercetin that is know for anti-virus properties in combo with Zinc. Cashews and almonds are healthy food. One item I am going to check out is CoQ10, will be getting a bottle of gelcaps and try it out.
As for me, I do eat Pork 50% (mostly lean), Chicken 40%, and Beef 10%, fish occassionally. I have felt better cutting down on the amount of beef and have been doing this for over two years.
Sounds like I won't need breakfast?

· Registered
9,228 Posts
Sounds like I won't need breakfast?
Eat breakfast, it's good for you. In fact I prefer to eat between 0600-0700, 1130-1230, and 1730-1830 and if I absolutely have to eat a little something before bed, it's 4 crackers and maybe a slice of cheese or butter, but not after 9:30 PM. That's what works for me and we're all different or work different shifts, and there are the family commitments to consider. I did cut out my diet sodas only because they jacked up the prices to the point they are not worth buying. A week of caffeine withdrawals and I survivend...will admit I did like my diet colas.

· Resident Curmudgeon
36,536 Posts
I had Brussel sprouts for supper last night. I like them. 😁
Have you recently been examined by a pshrink? I regard brussels sprouts as fit only for fodder, and then only to pigs you don't happen to like. Utterly vile, bitter, and nasty; suitable for inflicting on misbehaving children as punishment.

No, I don't like brussels sprouts even a little bit.

· Registered
5,546 Posts
blaster,
If you do not like beets it might be how they are cooked. I used to hate beets, then my wife introduced me to the Italian way of preparing beets and today I enjoy them. You can boil, steam, roast or bake beets; that stated my personal choice is to roast them in an oven uncovered no foil. Once cooked, the skin peels readily. Slice thinly and size accordingly, she then takes White onion and basically shaves it, very thin slices and then they are added to the beets, she then adds a bit of salt, pepper, olive oil and just a touch of red wine vinegar to stop the sweetness. Put it in a container for a bit ie, 8 hrs, when ready to serve add some walnuts, pecans, some farm cheese,(GOAT OR SHEEP, your choice) some raisins and if you like cranberries add some craizins........heck, if that doesn't do it..You hate beets!

· Registered
3,041 Posts
Beets: my kids and I were on the road a while back and I decided to go to a fairly nice restaurant for dinner rather than a drive thru place. My older daughter and I ordered dinners that came with a bit of salad as the first course. So these little salads are brought to the table and they are garnished with something red and finely diced. My daughter asked me if it was radish - which she generally likes. But it didn't look like radish to me so I popped some in my mouth and the repulsive flavor of pickled beets was released on me. I told her: "It's pickled beets and I hate them but try them and see what you think." She tried a bite and said to me: "Daddy, beets are nasty. Can I take them off?" Yes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts