close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

NOBODY INTERESTED IN Hi-Powers????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jeffro, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Alright guys (and gals), what's the scoop here? Nobody interested in Hi-Powers anymore? They are great pieces, but nobody is posting about them or asking questions about them. How is one (me specifically) going to learn and get new ideas if there is no interaction? I love the Hi-Powers (although 9mm) is NOT my favorite caliber (nor is .40 for that matter), but get some discussion going on Hi-Powers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LET'S GET IT ON (the discussion)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jeffro (Jeff)
    :nod: :nod: :nod:

2. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Jeffro, I love my HP and depending on how the taxes go, may be in the market for another. My favorite HP site is fnhipower.com it is great. The 9mm is not my favorite, I love the .45 ACP but I do like the HP. BTW, how did your son make out with his "problem" from several months ago???
    Mike

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    DUDE! absolutely love the hi power. have one in 9mm and 40. best made handgun out of the box without question. what do you want to know about, let us know we'll figure it out.

4. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

Hi,
    I have a Browning (Belgium) Hi-Power in 9mm the Practical Model. The gun is a great gun BUT!!!!. I shoot alot of lead bullets and the barrel was LEADING and the bullets where KEYHOLING and I was getting some BLOWBY. I slipcasted the barrel and the measurement was 0.3585". The SAMMI says the standard for 9mm bullets is 0.355". Many of the Reloading manuals say that a 9mm barrel should be 0.354"-0.356". I sent the gun back to Browning and to make a long story short. Their tolerance on their barrels is 0.355"-0.359" and the Service manager said that that barrel was not designed to shoot lead bullets (VERY POUR EXCUSE). Then they sent my gun back with out the magazine. After a dozen phone calls and finally talking to someone who had some pull, they sent me a new magazine. I bought an aftermarket barrel from Federal Arms for $75.00 and the accuracy is awsome. I dropped my load 0.5 grains with the new barrel. Browning wanted $250.00 for one of theirs. I have watched some history shows on John Browning and I think he is great. He has done alot of desings with firearms. The 1911 is still really popular, hell I have one and I going to buy another here shortly. Its a shame that these companies can't hold tight tolerance with the equipment that we have today. I'll probably never buy a Browning again because of the experience that I had with their SORRY HOW CAN'T I HELP YOU service center. Other wise the gun has not malfunctioned.

WillyZ

5. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Mike,
    Funny that you should ask now, as he just went to court yesterday on the tickets. The judge threw out the "out of state registration" and the "improper licence plates" (as that charge was based on the "out of state registration"), but did hold on the "driving on the crosswalk" charge. He got 2 points for that one, but has no other points on his record, so if he watches himself he should have no problem....... and if he DOESN'T watch himself then he DESERVES a problem!
    Thank you for asking, and good to "see" you here on the site.
    Best to ya', and stay in touch.
    Jeffro (Jeff)

6. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

LeftyO and Willy Z,
    Thanks for the responses. Willy Z, sounds like you had a bad run of luck with your Hi-Power. One would think that as competitive as the handgun market is these days that they would bend over backwards to please a customer. After all, just how much do you think it would cost THEM to replace your barrel and make you a happy camper? I would guess not too much. And the poor service has NO excuse. It takes about as much time to give good service as bad service!!
    What kind of accessories or aftermarket "services" have you guys had done (or considered) for the Hi-Powers to improve on them. I don't mean "whistles and bows", but items or services that really improve the piece.
    Thanks for any information. Happy Trails and safe shootin'.
    Jeffro (Jeff)

7. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

You mentioned Federal Arms barrels... I talked with a rep from Cor-Bon about a year ago about these. They recieved some for testing and were really suprised by the quality and accuracy these barrels gave for the money. Don Williams is working on a Taurus PT-92 for me and I replaced the shot- out factory barrel that came with it,(I bought it used),with a Federal Arms barrel. Sorry to get off-topic but I just wanted to comment on these barrels... I'll post my results on the Taurus performance when I get the PT-92 back from Don.

Jesse

8. Hi guys-- I dont own a hi power but have shot several. I agree they are a fine pistol. Just a thought I shoot lead also because it's cheaper, but I will pass a jacketed through once in a while to clear out the leading. Has anyone tried to get lead out of a barrel after a day's shooting. It ain't fun. Run a few jacketed through before you call it a day and cleaning your pistol will be much more enjoyable. Just my opinion.

9. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

Jeffro,
    I have installed a reduced hammer spring from Wolf that I bought through MidWay USA fro around $6.00. A Hogue finger groove wrap around grip from MidWay USA for $14.00. I also did a little playing with the springs that are used for the magazine trigger disconnect (trigger and slide). I massaged the sear a little. The reduced hammer spring helped the trigger pull a lot. The spring pack comes with 3 different springs 30lb, 28lb and a 26lb. I used the 26lb. I don't know what my trigger pull is, but it is a ton better than factory. When I sent my Hi-Power in they replace my sear (which I massaged). So I had to massage the new one. I have had my Hi-power broken down (where every piece is out) about a couple of dozen times. I like my Hi-Power now that it has the aftermarket barrel. Before I bought the Federal Arms barrel, I called Federal Arms and Olympic Arms to see what there tolerances were. I talked to the person who made the barrels for Federal (some guy from New Jersey) and he said he makes the barrels by hand and his tolerance is 0.355"-0.356".

WillyZ

10. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

WillieZ,
    thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the reduced springs. It sounds like a real good starting point. Have you had any loss of reliable ignition using the reduced power spring(s)? That is always a concern of mine. Thanks again for the info.

I will have to investigate info on Federal Arms Barrels........ sounds like a good outfit to remember. THANKS to all of you for your input.
    Jeffro (Jeff)

11. Willy, It's really a shame that Browning didn't treat you better, because as Jeff said, it cost's just as much to treat you well. I am wondering if Browning, which seems to be weening itself from the handgun market has just quit caring about that segment. If Brownings specs are as large as .359, I believe that's unacceptable. The largest bullets I'm aware of for the 9x19 are spec'd at .356. The HP barrels have somewhat shallow rifling, (I just checked one with a minor diameter of .348, which means a major diameter of .356 only gives you a .004 land in the bore) if your major diameter jumps to .359, you not getting much engagement in the rifling. Given the really high cost of Browning factory barrels, I sure can't blame your dis-satisfaction.

12. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    done trigger jobs on both the 9,& the forty. plus the 9 got a c&s combat trigger, plus its gonna get the full treatment here pretty quick, once i get off my butt and finish my other project.

13. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

LeftyO,
    What items do you include in the "full treatment?" Just curious. Best, Jeffro (Jeff)

14. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Jeffro, did your son find a lawyer?? (sorry to get off topic, but "viewers" of the old site would understand). I'm glad things went ok for him.
    WillyZ, I have driven past thru/by Painted Post many times going "home". I'm originally from Buffalo and now live in MD and rte. 17 has become well known. Do you have a link or phone number for Federal Arms???

15. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

MikeC,
    Nice of you to remember..... I appreciate your interest. Interestingly, he just went to court day before yesterday (Monday), and yes he finally did get a lawyer. Results were mixed. He got the two mon-moving violations dropped, but still got the two points on the moving violation. Fortunately, he had no previous points, so it is not a great problem (although I did try to keep the points off his record). The two points are no problem if he drives CAREFULLY (a 21 year old boy driving carefully????), and if he doesn't drive carefully, then I guess he deserves what he gets!!!
    Hope all is going well for you. Thanks again for asking.
    Best to ya', Jeffro (Jeff) :)

16. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

MikeC,
    Their web site sucks. Its just a logo with their phone number. Here is their website. http://www.gzanders.com/manu/fa.html The phone number is 1-800-486-5971. Another place you should contact is Olympic Arms. Their website is http://www.olyarms.com/ . I called both places and asked what there tolerances are. I don't remember what Olympic's tolerances were but I think the tolerances for the Federal Arms barrels were 0.355"-0.356".

WillyZ

17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    jeffro, looking at a new barsto barrel, maybe magnaporting(this one is just for fun), different hammer, stippling frontstrap and backstrap, and a little work on the ambi safety levers. and also see about having the trigger reset shortened a little. bevel the mag well. ill do a good chunk of the work myself, but i think don williams might be seeing this gun sometime down the road to take care of a couple of the items im not comfortable doing myself(yet). hey don how about a G&G discount?hehehe:target:

18. Jeffro

Jeffro G&G Newbie

Lefty O,
    Sounds like it will be a super-neat piece upon completion. When done, how about posting pics?
    Happy Trails and safe shootin',
    Jeffro (Jeff)

19. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA

Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to just use .38 (.357) bullets in the reloads? I know i've read some articles with similar complaints and they had fine results.

later,
    AJ

20. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

Hipowr,
    I could do that, but doing that is like using ducktape and bubble gum to hold the bumper of your car on. Basically Browning can make the barrels cheaper with this WIDE tolerance. They get longer tool life on the rifling machines. The jacket bullets do not have the problems that the lead bullets have, but it does effect the accuracy. This whole situation reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy with Chris Farley where he is in the a guys office trying to sell him brake pads. "Lets say your driving down the road and all of a sudden theres a car tire EEEERRRRRRRRR WHOW that was close. Now lets say you have the other guys brake pads. Your driving down the road the kids are yelling "Daddy Daddy when can we stop, I have to go to the bathroom". All of a sudden theres the car tire, you hit the brakes and you scream "I CAN"T STOP". You hit the tire you burst into flames and crash. Here comes the meat wagon WEO WEO WEO WEO. The guy gets out the car and says "OH MY GOD" and the new guy puking in the corner and Tommy says "All this just to save a couple of pennies. Now all the quotes are not exactly as in the movie. My memory is a little shot (excuse the pun). You get the point.

WillyZ