close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Norinco NHM-91

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by senecagreen, Jun 24, 2002.

1. senecagreen

senecagreen G&G Newbie

I picked up a real nice NHM-91 at the gun show this weekend. The guy was selling it for a friend of his and wasn't sure what it was. He said it was like a MAC 90 only with a longer barrel. I asked him if I could look at it, picked it up and looked at the reciever and saw it was a Norinco NHM-91. It is a post ban gun and it is in very good condition. It came with a 40 round magazine. I took it out and shot it at the benchrest range today and it grouped real tight. I did not have to adjust the sights as the previous owner had already done a pretty good job. It has the stamped reciever. He wanted $500 and would have taken $425 he said if his friend had not said $450 or bring it back home.

I was willing to go $450 for it as this was the exact model I had decided I was going to purchase in a AK. And true to the words I have read on this board about NHM's it had a real nice trigger pull. I am going to have to get a manual now so I will know how to field strip it for cleaning.

I saw a 2 hour special on the history channel a few weeks ago about Mikhail Kalishnikov and the story behind the AK's. It pretty well sold me that this is a great design and he was something of a firearms genius. This gun makes a great companion to my M1 Carbine. Next will be a good AR-15.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Cool...send it my way and i'll clean it and shoot it for ya! lol

3. NRAJOE

Wow! He paid $450 and I can get one in Ex.cond for $299! Been reading about them all night and looking at different pics...some people have turned them into RPK clones and some took the bipod off and shot it normally...think I'll go put it on lay away tomorrow! :loveydove

4. NRAJOE

5. NRAJOE

6. NRAJOE

This is what it lookks like EXACTLY in the store except for the scope and the bipod is still on the one in the store. That is the same buttstock:

[​IMG]

7. NRAJOE

THIS IS IT EXACTLY!

[​IMG]

Could be its twin!

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

$299? Too good a deal to pass up, Joe. You gotta get that puppy! :)

9. NRAJOE

I'm sitting right here looking at it....couldn't stand to put it on layaway! Paid cash...$325 out the door....stopped by the gun store and had the bi-pod taken off (I gotta get some nice punches, got charged $15 for a 2 minute job! I think I'm in the wrong business!)

10. NRAJOE

I already got people wanting to buy my bi-pod...guess alot of people took 'em off and lost them....

11. senecagreen

senecagreen G&G Newbie

Mine had the thin grip style stock just like the one in the picture. I wound up selling it for $450 after I had bought a real nice milled Mak-91 with the 18" barrel for $400. The milled Mak-91 had a much nicer trigger pulled than the stamped NHM-91. I felt like I got an excellent deal on the Mak-91. It has the thick style rear stock with the thumbhole and also is post ban. How rare is the Mak-91?, as I have seen lots of Mak-90's but this was the first Mak-91 I had seen milled or stamped.

12. NRAJOE

WOW! Look who popped in! Must of had the notification button on! :D

Don't know about them MAK 91's but I'm sure its a beauty! The only milled I have is a Bulgarian SLR101S and thats awesome. Ain't nothing like a Chi-Com AK though huh?

Welcome back...stick around this time! ;)

13. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Tapco was selling those stocks for months a while back,the price got down to$3.50,they still may have them and just not cataloging them,they are comfy if you like thumbhole stocks.

14. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I prefer the thick T-holes to the one on the NHM and most Maadis.

The MAK-91 to the best of my knowledge is milled, rare, accurate, and valuable. Enjoy, Senecagreen!

15. NRAJOE

Your an odd one anyways.... :rolleyes: :)

16. senecagreen

senecagreen G&G Newbie

Yes, it is a real pleasure to shoot. I took it out last week with a friend from work who wanted to try his new mini 30 and I let him shoot it and he was impressed. We blew up about 30 milk jugs filled with water. We sighted his gun in on the benchrest range before we blew up the jugs. I put a few rounds through paper and I think he was suprised at the tight groups it shot. He didn't expect that from a military gun.

I prefer iron sights on this type of gun. I also have a match grade AR-15 with the heavy barrel. It is better build quality than the Mak 91 but I like the Mak 91 equally and prefer the heavier bullet it shoots.

Incidentally, I have shot both guns at 3/8" steel and both calibers will almost go completely through a plate at 50yds. Both calibers put a great big bubble on the back of the plate. I was really suprised at this, especially from the .223.

I like the new look to the board. Good to be back.

17. REB BUMMER

REB BUMMER G&G Newbie

Nhm-91

i just got one a about a week ago, with a B-Squrare mount and the bypod for the same price,.. love the gun, but hate the stock. After reading the Laws(over+over) and searching web for reasonable priced US parts, i found Soupbowl enterprises has a US made AK RPK wood kits along with the other parts needed to comply with Sec.478.39 All in one kit for $140. Anybody got one?

http://www.concentric.net/~ldrennan/index.htm

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004