Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out weather or not this would be a good buy. It does look like it could use some work to it. The stock wiggles a little bit and it has a detach 30 round magazine on it. No Bayo but the lug is there. Definatly made in China. All the numbers match except for the Magazine of course. There is a little pitting on the barrel and the gas tube cover. Any advice would be a great help. :feedback:

·
Registered
70 Posts
The chinese are usually great shooters. Look for any trace of cosmoline that would be a plus because it would have been unissused. Look down the bore, if it is very dark and has little rifleing in it it would be a bad plinking gun its accuracy will phase. They are good collectors gun and are getting harder to find. But $125 sounds just right I would go ahead and buy it, 99% of them are good shooters. Make sure you dissemble the rifle before firing and reassamble making sure everything is tight.

P.S. cycle the bolt a few times to make sure there is no binding. Matching Ser. num is good two.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I bought it. I couldn't help it. I have to do a little work to it but I think it should work out good it was not packed in cosmo. it should be safe to shoot though. I am still working on the teardown I hope to have it up and shooting before the weekend. I still have only one worry. The stock. It's loose there is space in between the deal on the barrel that holds it. It isn't a huge gap (it's in there) But not tightly. I am assuming that it's due to repeated beatings. Otherwise it all looks good no binding in the bolt action. Could use a good lube job but I will keep ya'll posted on how it goes. I hope to have it all done and modified before long. Oh does anyone know where to get a stock with adjustable butt? Something similar to whats on a AR?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try sportsmansguide.com and midwayusa. They both have a lot of stocks. The gap shouldn't be two much of a problem as long as the barrel assembly isn't falling out.

Check the firing pin also, make sure it moves very loosely.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup the firing pin and all are good. I did find one issue the Gas Tube has some bad rust on it and it has rust thru the metal and so it has a couple pin holes in it. I am sure that I will have to replace it. I called the gun shop and they said to bring it back in tomorrow that they would make it right! They are awesome with the service they offer. Of course I have spent alot and I mean alot of money there so I am sure they don't want to lose my business over a 20 dollar part. I think that I should also change the gas piston too.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Nice buy! You can't go wrong with a Norinco, especially for that price. Enjoy it, mine has never let me down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good thing you had dissembled or would have never found that. Also check the bolt and spring that the piston tube connects to, pop that out and make sure there is no rust on that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes I sure do surplusrifle.com has the entire rifle in its dissembled form. Also you could try youtube. The rifle will be easy to put together but may have trouble with that dam trigger assembly. Thought I should point that out to save you the aggrevation.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I already have taken it apart. That think you have to push in to release the trigge group was a not easy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh yea when I got my yugo i was up till 1 in the mourning trying to get it together. Got it the next day. After you shoot it post what the groupings were at 100yds should be inside 1 to 2 inchs.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well as soon as I replace the Gas Tube I will. I don't know how fast they will be able to get that for me. Maybe I will get lucky and they will have one there. It should work fine even the way that it is but I don't want to leave anything to chance. I still am trying to decide what kinda furniture I want to get. Everyone is saying to go with Tapco . I just don't like the handguard sight mount. I would rather the receiver mount but alot of people are saying that does not stayed zero'd in.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Yes I sure do surplusrifle.com has the entire rifle in its dissembled form. Also you could try youtube. The rifle will be easy to put together but may have trouble with that dam trigger assembly. Thought I should point that out to save you the aggrevation.
Checked surplusrifle.com,excellent site!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man I love my gun shop. They fixed it up for free. So now I am ready to change the furniture on it. WooHoo.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Here is what I did to my Norinco:

First...I did nothing. I loved it the way it was, and felt that I shouldn't change a good thing.

Then, it happened...I had my SKS leaning up against the side of my truck (unloaded), and it fell, some how... The bottom of the stock hit a rock and the stock split.

I had two choices, buy a new wooden stock, or try something new. I tried something new.

I went with the Tapco T6 stock. It's a nice addition, but changes the look of the rifle completely. I have a red dot on the gas rail mount as well, but haven't had time to sight it in or see how it holds zero after removing the gas rail for cleaning.

Some things to keep in mind about changing things on the SKS, you need to change a lot of things if you are going to change one thing. By modifying the rifle in any way, the gun now falls under the law of assembling a firearm from imported parts.

Changing the stock means that you have to change the Gas rod, piston, and magazine and replace them with US made parts. If you don't mind making these changes as well, then I'd say go for it. I love how my SKS looks, and it functions as good as ever, but it's not the same as my SKS used to be.

I'm thinking that I'll have to buy a Russian SKS now so that I can have one in it's original form :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I already have a 30 round detachable magazine US Made, If i add the Stock the receiver cover, the hand guard then I will have 4 usa made parts.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Congradulations. I just called my gun shop and they have a chinese SKS in "like-new" condition for $199. She's mine!
So to an SKS owner from a future one, good buy!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool Deal A-10. They sell ones like that here for about 250. I think it's a little high but I also heard they are not importing anymore of them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts