Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local store has a Norinco SKS that has the bayonet lug but no bayonet. The Bayonet lug has no bluing missing so I doubt if it ever had a bayonet attached. The upper piece of the stock is woodgrain looking Plastic while the rest of the stock is wood. the SKS is brand new in the box, never been fired and has the chrome lined barrel. All S/N match and I can get a bayonet kit for a few bucks. Is $240.00 out the door a decent price. Comes with the ammo belt.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
thats a good price for a norinco, the only thing that worrys me is that you said a plastic stock.... if you only talking about the part that covers the gas cylender then its no biggie. you can get a wood one from a gunshow for $2-$9. if you mean the whole front of the stock i think that its an aftermarket stock and then i think the price is a bit high.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just the top part that covers the gas tube. How do the norincos compare to the Yugo rearsenaled. I really like the lightweight of the Norinco but are the Yugo's better quality. I had a Russian about 10 years back but sold it about 8 years back:yell::aargh4::pat:

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I think the norinco is way better than the yugo, for the light weight, chromed barrel, and shorter barrel than the yugo. howevery many people will tell you they thinkvery highly of the yugo. this is just MY opinion but i realy like the norincos!

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
^I would kick myself too is I had done that...

Norinco I think it more durable because of the chrome-lined barrel. As far as rearsenalling, Norincos were never issued to the Chinese military. They were made for export on the world(mainly US) market. They certainly are lighter and they're shorter as well. But, a Yugo can be made smaller to the same size as the Norinco with no permanent mods. Anyway, as for the Norinco. That's a good price and the plastic is no biggie to me. I say buy it. Also, you can buy spike bayonets from Cheaper Than Dirt for $4 so if you want one, its dirt cheap lol

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have both the YUG0 M59/66 unissued & Chinese /26\ 1965 NIB. Both are great rifles in the own right. Both my rifles are equally accurate,and thats with my reloads. The chrome lined bore in the Chinese is nice it does help cleaning the bore go a little faster but it's no biggie.
Just remember none of your American sporting rifles has a chrome bore either,another thing that give most shooters of the YUGO problems is the gas valve they either don't have it in the correct position or it has been eroded for shooting corrosive ammo used in these rifles,even though it may look perfect if it has seen much use it probably going to cause problems with failure to eject when the selector button is in the semi-auto mode,thats no big deal either CNC Worriers makes a new SS valve for $12 that includes shipping that will fix that problem about 99% of the time.
Classic Arms has some really nice unissued one for around $200. Samco has some what they state as NIB for around $269. The YUG0 is a few pounds heavier,it has all milled parts no matter the year of production its a solid rifle. The Chinese is lighter and handles faster, you will see a bit more muzzle rise when you fire it.
Also on the Chinese depending on the date of MFG usually 1965 and below the receiver and trigger group are milled the barrel is also screwed on. From 1966 and above the receiver and trigger group may be stamped and the barrel pinned in place,none of these are a bad thing it just how the Chinese went about producing these rifle and tried different ways to speed up production. If you can find a good example of the YUGO and Chinese in excellent condition buy them both,there both great rifles.

Good place to learn the differences between the SKS rifles
Yooper John

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I have both the YUG0 M59/66 unissued & Chinese /26 1965 NIB. Both are great rifles in the own right. Both my rifles are equally accurate,and thats with my reloads. The chrome lined bore in the Chinese is nice it does help cleaning the bore go a little faster but it's no biggie.
Just remember none of your American sporting rifles has a chrome bore either,another thing that give most shooters of the YUGO problems is the gas valve they either don't have it in the correct position or it has been eroded for shooting corrosive ammo used in these rifles,even though it may look perfect if it has seen much use it probably going to cause problems with failure to eject when the selector button is in the semi-auto mode,thats no big deal either CNC Worriers makes a new SS valve for $12 that includes shipping that will fix that problem about 99% of the time.
Classic Arms has some really nice unissued one for around $200. Samco has some what they state as NIB for around $269. The YUG0 is a few pounds heavier,it has all milled parts no matter the year of production its a solid rifle. The Chinese is lighter and handles faster, you will see a bit more muzzle rise when you fire it.
Also on the Chinese depending on the date of MFG usually 1965 and below the receiver and trigger group are milled the barrel is also screwed on. From 1966 and above the receiver and trigger group may be stamped and the barrel pinned in place,none of these are a bad thing it just how the Chinese went about producing these rifle and tried different ways to speed up production. If you can find a good example of the YUGO and Chinese in excellent condition buy them both,there both great rifles.

Good place to learn the differences between the SKS rifles
Yooper John
Couldnt have said it better myself!!
+1

·
Registered
79 Posts
worse comes to worse you can find a wood stock, e-bay for example. here in oregon "fair" yugo skss were going for $209 and i paid $250 for my norinco at the gun broker, and he was plain out of stock on the skss, when he usually had a buttload to chose from.

·
Registered
737 Posts
As far as rearsenaling, Norinco's were never issued to the Chinese military. They were made for export on the world(mainly US) market.
Norinco's is not a brand of Chinese SKS just made for import to the US. Norinco is China's weapons Mfg. among other things, they makes all the military weapon in China for internal as well as export. There are a few examples of the Chinese SKS that were specifically made just to sell in the USA,but just because it has Norinco on the side of the receiver doesn't mean it was never issued or at some point couldn't be issued to the troop. It's just a name like Rem,Winchester or Sav.

Introduction

Just curious does your stock look like this one if so you have a Chinese Jungles stock it is original equipment,exact composition is not known.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Norinco's is not a brand of Chinese SKS just made for import to the US. Norinco is China's weapons Mfg. among other things, they makes all the military weapon in China for internal as well as export. There are a few examples of the Chinese SKS that were specifically made just to sell in the USA,but just because it has Norinco on the side of the receiver doesn't mean it was never issued or at some point couldn't be issued to the troop. It's just a name like Rem,Winchester or Sav.

Introduction
Oh, my bad! I thought Norinco was strictly a commercial corp and didn't do anything military related. Thanks for the correction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts