Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
being new to the game of cheap shooting ....how much can I modify my norinco sks without fear of going to jail.....how legal are the tapco T6 stocks and detachable Mags ...I want to be able to take it to a local range here in Florida and not have to look over my shoulder....thank you

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
for the most part anything you can buy you can throw on there, especially now that the clinton gun ban is gone

as long as you dont do anything internally (stock wise and mags and scopes and all that jazz is fine)

so ya just dont try and chop the barrel down or anything like that, but tapco stocks are fine, especially if you live in florida. you can and should always call the BATF or shoot them an email just to be sure, or you can contact your local sheriffs office (if they give you an ok it should be fine as well)

but why would you wanna add anything but that sweet wood stock to it? i love mine, pristine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Norinc0 SKS

thank you for the logical reassurance ...all original is fine but I have a few of these and want to update one for kicks I guess ....thanks again for the reply:usa2:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Google: 922R SKS Parts and you will find out anything you need to know. It all depends on when your weapon was imported into the US. Also read this,( http ://www.gunandgame.com/forums/sks/24939-sticky-submission-sks-legalities-what-you-can-change-what-takes.html) it should answer alot of your questions

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Doesn't Tapco sell all the compliance parts?
I have a modified Norinco and it's awesome.
You should shoot it first, if it's accurate, I wouldn't mess with it. If it's just ok, then modify away! :)

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The more I read on modifying a SKS,the more confusing it gets.After looking into it I believe the way to go is "write" to BATF and explain any mods you have in mind and get a "written reply giving permission to modify it.Some of it is goofy to say the least and the biggest problem is once you have done something like removing a grenade launcher or bayonette,it may not be C&R rated any longer but may be eligible as a modern import.The reason why you should write is to get written proof of permission to make the modification.I am no authority on this and have two SKS,s that are legal that I see no reason to change,mainly because they do good enough to varmint hunt with in the condition I bought them in legally. (still got all the bells and bayonettes) At any rate what I read on them is there may be things that are illegal but BATF is giving permission to modify.My opinion is get BATF,s "written" permission before modifying.There is a lot on the net on this very subject and all of it is contradctory and confusing. ,,,sam.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Good advice sam!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts