Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new here. Anyway, I just picked up a like new condition Norinco SKS, seems to be a early serial numbered gun from what i can see. All parts are matching. Just wondering if Norinco is a respectible company and if any one know's of any problems to look for . Thanks :usa1:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,954 Posts
Welcome to G&G! Lots of happy SKS owners here.
Norinco guns are functionally as good as any, it's their fit&finish that often isn't up to Western standards. They generally shoot very well. The Chinese also heat treat the entire barrel - it's very hard to wear out a Norinco barrel!
They did some changes over the years, the early "Sino-Soviet" carbines being the best, as they were built under direct Russian supervision and used many Russian parts.
Then, when the Russians left, the Chinese began simplifying production. Their earlier military guns were good, but then they beagn building them for the commercial market - at which time they began using more stamped parts. Stock wood was rather soft in the later guns too.
I recently sold my Norinco SKS, only because I had gotten a Sino-Soviet, and two Chinese SKS rifles were one too many for me. It shot well.
I'm sure the SKS will serve you well. They are still a good value for the money! :)

Check out this website:
WWW.SIMONOV.NET

Everything you need to know about this fine rifle.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The Norincos are a good SKS. Getting harder to find and becoming more of a collectors piece than anything. The really early ones are great because of the close ties they have to the Russians and the quality. THe hardware on them are generally good, but a lot of the stocks that I have seen are beat up. All in all, a good rifle becuase it belongs in the best family there is, the sks family:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
You still need to get a Yugo 59/66. Maybe it's just me, but there's something about that grenade launcher, and big blade bayonet. Good luck with the Norinco.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey im new to this site
but ive had my Norinco SKS for about 2 years
and ive havnt had one problem with it yet.
the only thing i can say is dont put any of those after market detachable magazines on it, but i did put a fixed 20 round magazine on mine and it worked fine withe a little fitting

but all in all its a great weapon and you should have alot of fun with it

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have one and like it better than my Yugo models. It is lighter and more accurate plus doesn't have the grenade launcher which I dislike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sks

Ill let you all know how it shoots. I have to wait a month untill i take a trip to my second house in upstate NY. Thanks for the replies guys. :usa1:

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Norinco is right up behind the Russian,really good for the money,but becoming rare as the only ones coming into the country now are the Yugos.:drive:

·
Registered
18 Posts
speaking of yugos's I have 2. They are excellent guns and very accurate. There is one thing that I am curious about when it comes to cleaning the barrel. It seems that I can never get the dirt to stop showing up on the patches. Am I scrubing the metal away or what?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
cleaning

speaking of yugos's I have 2. They are excellent guns and very accurate. There is one thing that I am curious about when it comes to cleaning the barrel. It seems that I can never get the dirt to stop showing up on the patches. Am I scrubing the metal away or what?
You are using a muzzle protection insert aren't you. Your not using a segmented rod muzzle Rasp are you?:34:
You might be able to find RB-17 in your area. If not, it can be ordered
Home Page
It cost more but in my opine, it's worth it.
Then I follow up with application of Corrosion X
CorrosionX Gun Care Uses
Art, good luck with your shootin iron. It should be a good one. Gave each of my two sons(adults now) a chinese.
I have two. One Chinese and a Yugo Unissued

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Need some help?

Hi guys. I haven't been able to shoot the new SKS yet, I can't wait. I have a qustion, today I took off the bolt cover and and took out the bolt and, (WOW) cosmoline every where so I cleaned that out, but could this mean there is still cosmoline in the gas tube. If so how would I go about getting it out. Im not sure how to get to the gas tube yet.I really need to get a book on how to field strip an SKS. Thanks.:usa1:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Hi guys. I haven't been able to shoot the new SKS yet, I can't wait. I have a qustion, today I took off the bolt cover and and took out the bolt and, (WOW) cosmoline every where so I cleaned that out, but could this mean there is still cosmoline in the gas tube. If so how would I go about getting it out. Im not sure how to get to the gas tube yet.I really need to get a book on how to field strip an SKS. Thanks.:usa1:
Yes, you need to fully disassemble your rifle and give it a good cleaning. There are many ways to remove cosmoline, including boiling the part or heating them in the oven and letting it drip off, then wiping it away. But, with my Mosin Nagant 91/30, I just followed the instructions from Educational Zone #23 - Cosmoline Removal - Page 1 where he actually cleans an SKS and it turned out great. I didn't use any brushes past a paintbrush, though, since I had nice cartouches on my stock. The mineral spirits took off the cosmoline on the stock, but left the beautiful finish on it.
:drive:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the site, and your quick response, I was surprised at the amount of cosmoline in and on this gun. Im going to give it a full cleaning tomorrow.:)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Thanks for the site, and your quick response, I was surprised at the amount of cosmoline in and on this gun. Im going to give it a full cleaning tomorrow.:)
No problem. That's why I love this site, so many guys with so much knowledge that usually answer your question in no time at all. I also love the Box O' Truth, it's an amazingly fun site to scour for unofficial penetration testing. As for SKS's I'll probably own one in the future, but it will likely be a 59/66 from Big 5.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
ART,
the Chi-Com SKS is , IMO, one of the best weapons ever built and i am still kicking myself for trading mine. Mine was a threaded-barrel model and was a consistent MOA shooter with almost any brand of ammo. When removing the gas piston, be sure to hold your hand over the tube before fully rotating the takedown lever as it will spit the piston and spring into your neighbors' yard if you don't. Don't ask me how I know that! :D :D :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man I finally cleaned the whole gun, it took awhile but Im sure it was worth it in the long run. I also had a little trouble getting the trigger housing back in. Thanks for the help guys. P.S. I used the mineral spirts and it worked like a charm. :)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Man I finally cleaned the whole gun, it took awhile but Im sure it was worth it in the long run. I also had a little trouble getting the trigger housing back in. Thanks for the help guys. P.S. I used the mineral spirts and it worked like a charm. :)
Glad to hear it came out well! Yeah, that mineral spirits is great; good solvent for the cosmoline, yet not nearly as harsh on your nose or hands.

While the guy on The Box O' Truth just cleaned with his hands, I always use gloves, since it's still an organic solvent and potentially carcinogenic and will seep into your skin.

Also, while it doesn't have nearly as much fumes, it still does have them; it takes a few hours for the scent to leave my nose and throat after cleaning something for an hour. That's even with a fan blowing air at me, mind you, it was in an enclosed 2-car garage. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, next time I definitly going to wear gloves, it don't feel great when it hits a cut on your hand.:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts