Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, can someone with experience with these weapons tell me if a Chinese-made SKS a good investment at $300? My local gunstore has one, used, in great condition with wooden furniture.
This would be my first rifle purchase, and I am sure it's not the best starter rifle in the world, but I am anxious to purchase one before the totalitarian nannies in government make them illegal.

Edit: Ok, after looking at an earlier thread dealing with a Chinese SKS purchase, pretty much the feel I got was $250 is ok, anything under $200 is a good deal. That actually makes my decision tougher, cause $300 is not the blatant rip-off my gut instinct told me it was.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats a tough one I've seen Yugo's for cheaper online but I noticed your in California and I think their illegal there not sure why but i usually see not California legal. I went to a gun show yesterday and both yugo and norinco (chinese manufacture) SKS's were 270 to 300 so it sounds about right. I would try to haggle him down a little or see if he will throw some ammo in if hes got any. I'm holding out to get my C&R then buy one online.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
$300 is a bit on the high side, but then, really good examples aren't exactly common either. If I really wanted one, and had trouble finding them, I might go for it. I'd try to haggle him down.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Yeah, $300 is pushing it. What you do is, take $300 with you. Leave $85 in your car. When you go to pay for it, count out til you hit $215, and then be like "Aww dang! I don't have enough". Act like you can't get anymore and he'll probably drop his price. If he doesn't go out to your car and get the rest. If he won't drop it, I'd say go online and buy a Yugo SKS and get it shipped to a local gunstore. You can get them for an easy $75 less after handling charges.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some good advice guys, thanks! I am not sure of the Cali legality with a online purchase of a Yugo SKS either, so I'll have to check on that.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
As far as I know, online purchasing is fine so long as it's shipped to a FFL and the gun itself is legal in California. If it's not legal, sellers won't ship it there because they could get in trouble for doing that. Check with a gunstore on the laws before you order one. The owner of the gunstore should know the laws(lets hope so anyway).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think that California has a problem with detachable mags and or the grenade launcher of the yugo models if you do decide to buy online.

Found a Norinco SKS for 219 with 25 dollar s/h if you decide to buy online
Firing Line

·
Registered
5 Posts
the norinco sks is a great gun . havnt had any problems with it , although it gets quite dirty quite fast . id say check a local gunshow ! got my sks there for $175 came with the bayonet and 5 strip clips . the wood finish is at medium qaulity id say. i prefer the synthetics . good luck on your sks ! :scool:

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Better rifles for the price

Nothing inherently wrong with the rifle in question but you need to understand parts may or may not be readily available in the future, this is not a target or hunting gun, and you may never be able to mount a scope even with custom gunsmithing.

For a first rifle I would really recommend a nearly new, slightly used sporting rifle such as a Remington bolt action in a medium caliber such as .243. You can really practice with it, it is good for hunting, and you can mount a scope. Also, parts will be available if needed forever.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had no trouble mounting a scope on mine(its a Norinco). I hunt with mine but I don't have to make any shots over 50 yards. Hunting ammunition is not readily available, Walmart sells only FMJ. It's not a target gun, but at 50 yards hitting a 4 inch circle will generally put meat on the table.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Chinese/Norinco are good SKS's,and they are available in several configurations.
My current Chinese SKS has a 16" barrel,other than that it is the same as the others.
Chinese SKS's in vg to exc. condition run from $250-$350 and parts are still available in the shotguns news and other sources.
Not all Chinese SkS's are Norinco,there are two other factories,but they are all identical and parts are compleatly interchangable.:)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,394 Posts
You should check with Classic Arms in North Carolina. If I am remembering correctly, the Yugo SKS rifles are on the verboten list in California, though models without the grenade launcher like the Chinese or Russian SKSes are acceptable.

If you are planning to buy more vintage firearms, it's worth spending the $30 to get your C&R license from the BATFE. You can order the forms online (look in the Curios & Relics Forum to learn how) and they ship them to you promptly. I suggest ordering two - one to study and one to fill out and mail back with your $30 check. The forms are not hard to fill out, provided you are an honest citizen; you just check a lot of "no" boxes.

Don't forget to send the information copy to the chief of the local law enforcement agency in your town! (Where I live, it's the County Sheriff; most places, it's the Chief of Police.)

The freedom to have wintage firearms sent directly to you without having to work through an FFL holder is a good thing. It's almost a throwback to the pre-GCA 68 days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that California has a problem with detachable mags and or the grenade launcher of the yugo models if you do decide to buy online.

Found a Norinco SKS for 219 with 25 dollar s/h if you decide to buy online
Firing Line
Thanks for the link and all the advice, folks. I am currently waiting for my SKS to arrive at my LGS!
I was aware that this weapon is not a great target rifle, I was interested as a collector in acquiring it before it's too late, and although parts availability is
something I haven't considered, but at the $250 I bought it for online, I think I'll get my money's worth before parts become unavailable.
Again, thanks for all the great advice!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just bought a Norinco Saturday. Bought it from a friend at work. It came with 400 rounds, 2 -32 round mag., pig sticker, ammo belt, sling, cleaning kit (inside stock). Gave $200.00 for it, don't know if I bought it or stole it.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Just bought a Norinco Saturday. Bought it from a friend at work. It came with 400 rounds, 2 -32 round mag., pig sticker, ammo belt, sling, cleaning kit (inside stock). Gave $200.00 for it, don't know if I bought it or stole it.
Ya done good!:kinky:

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
i pay $90 just for 400 rounds, so yeah great deal

·
Registered
737 Posts
I bought one last week Never Fired factory 26 10million serial # A series Milled receiver and trigger group with screwed on barrel. Took me all day to clean it and get all the cosmo out of everything. I payed $225 for mine. I reload my own stuff but if you don't you have several good options for hunting ammo.
Chinese

YUGO

Good hunting ammo
MidwayUSA - Prvi Partizan Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Round Nose Soft Point Box of 20

MidwayUSA - Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Soft Point Box of 20

Reloads

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this post is near 3 years old, but just wanted to let folks know about the SKS question. In 2010, $300 for a Norinco SKS is excellent and I would say buy it, I bought 2 Yugo's the past year for $300, one Russian for $400 & 2 Norinco's for $300. They are all legal here in California, as long as you don't have detachable magazines and on Yugo's make sure the grenade launcher is disabled. Everything else is good to go. Any questions on legality issues on SKS's or anyother centerfire semi-auto rifles including California legal AR's & AK's, go to Calguns.net, they have every law you'll need to know, especially for those outside of California that may want to sell a rifle here.
I bought my AR STAG, from out of State, but the person I bought it from made sure it was CA compliant before shipping, all that means, making sure the bullet button was installed and the magazine would not accept more than 10 rounds.

Get all the SKS's you can get for $300, they are all great semi-auto's if properly cared for and well worth the price in this day in age. Also look for Saiga's, you can get a brand new Saiga 7.62X39 or in .223 for less than $400 on gunbroker and many of these dealers will ship to CA because they do know the law.

The folks that won't ship here are in 2 categories, #1 Don't know the law (so enlighten them with the Calguns.net website) & :saroll:#2 The ones that just hate California, those are the ones who just won't ship regardless of the law. So spend your money elsewhere, it's their loss. Since Oct. 2008, more firearms have been sold to CA residents than anyother State...

Good luck and hope you bought the Norinco.

Hi guys, can someone with experience with these weapons tell me if a Chinese-made SKS a good investment at $300? My local gunstore has one, used, in great condition with wooden furniture.
This would be my first rifle purchase, and I am sure it's not the best starter rifle in the world, but I am anxious to purchase one before the totalitarian nannies in government make them illegal.

Edit: Ok, after looking at an earlier thread dealing with a Chinese SKS purchase, pretty much the feel I got was $250 is ok, anything under $200 is a good deal. That actually makes my decision tougher, cause $300 is not the blatant rip-off my gut instinct told me it was.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Oneofmanymatts Congrats! You will love it and there are currently tons of parts available. If you can buy US made parts if possible. Living in Cali thats prolly all you can put on yours.
PS: Welcome to G&G!

Spike and SgtWaggoner Welcome also!!!

LMAO.... I didnt realize how old this thread was!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts