Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
I posted in the ar thread about an ar platform in 204 ruger. Pred said to look into a M1A they would be more aless the same price 1000.00 or so., I havent seen one less than 1300.00 even used 1500.00 Maybe he was talking about these where do I find a Poly Tech or Norinco M14S or M1A?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Maybe he was talking about these where do I find a Poly Tech or Norinco M14S
Yep, shop for a Norinco or Poly Tech. Anywhere around $800.00 is a good deal for an unaltered Chinese M14.

i dont know about u guys but i know i wouldnt buy anything from china besides for the stuff sold at walmart.
Nothing but Chinese M14s and Chinese AKMs for me :scool:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wow-finally something that is cheaper to buy in Canada than the USA ;)
I am awaiting delivery of my brand new (not used) Norinco 350 from Frontier Taxidermy (Saskatchewan, Canada) for $479, shipping included. (comes with 2 mags, cleaning kit, and sling.) :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yep, you're lucky on that one. The chicoms have not been imported for 10+ years. Here they run from under $700 to $800+ new in the box - which do show up occasionaly.

jack - IF you buy anything chicom at all then why make the exception??? Besides, by buying the ammo from Walmart you are directly benifiting the chicoms since it is current import! If on the other hand you buy an AK, SKS or M14/S then it is a "used gun" regardless of it's actual condition since import stopped long ago and there is NO profit to the chicoms. Seems like you got your priorities ass backwards!!!
Sarge

·
Registered
301 Posts
I posted this seperately, but I just got my new (2007) 350S, and I saw this stamped on the left side of the reciever : "M14 S 308 Norinco...made in China CJA SFLD WI" On the box it was shipped in was a label that said "Model 350S .308 cal". Wunhunglo graciously replied to my post, and said that due to the markings, it may be that the rifle had been pressure tested for commercial .308, so that it should be ok for either ammo...maybe Norinco has adapted their new M14 rifles for using both??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sarge is talking out of his butt. Be very careful with the Norincos if you buy one. They are pretty much a piece of junk. But if you have to get one continuously check the head spacing and condition of your spent cartridges. Replace the stock, sights and bolt first of all. And dont even try to shoot hot loads. Be carefull, and little by little, replace with USGI parts. Keep it as clean as possible, do not get it too hot too often. Good luck..BC

·
Registered
351 Posts
My understanding is if you install a USGI bolt , you need to install a USGI or US commercial barrel ?

The receivers are suppose to be good ? With the possible exception of the rear sight serrations ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sorry Rex, the Norinco is famous for being a junky rifle.
But hey if you cant tell then they are superb rifles. Use with caution.
billcavazos, you are lacking valid information.

ChiCom M14s have forged receivers that are closer to USGI spec than all others except the rare SEI receiver.
ChiCom op rods are forged 1-piece units, just like TRW. The trigger groups are as good as USGI and respond well
to National Match mods, the chrome lined, standard profile barrels are as good as USGI with metric threads for the
gas lock and castle nut. The rear sights are good and the front sights are rough looking. ChiCom stocks are usually
Chu wood. Chu wood is light and durable - an excellent choice for moist climates, but they can be blocky in shape.
ChiCom M14s are not superb rifles out of the box, but they are usually as good or better than most and far from junky.

Chinese M14 owners should plan on a USGI bolt conversion from WarBird or SEI, this can be done with your original barrel.

Here is a USGI TRW bolt fitted to one of my heel stamped Norinco receivers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good to hear you like them Rex. Just dont keep them in the Norinco original configuration if you plan on using in competition, or getting alot of use out of it. BC

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sarge is correct guys. I own both a Springfield and a Chicom (that I replaced the stock on that I got from Fred's) and I love both of them. Both great guns! And both are headspace checked using NATO gages that I got from CMP a few years ago. I think they still have them. Always a good idea to check every so often - every 200 to 300 rounds. IMHO, nothing beats an M14 type rifle! OK, well, maybe . . . . . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Fed Ord Inc. M14SA. ive put anywhere from 500-1000rnds through it and havnt had any problems. After i traded a rifle for it i paid $750 out the door (was selling for $1300). Its very accurate! The only problem is with the scope mount. it sits too far to the right on the reciever and it tilts up in the front, not very noticable with your eye but very noticable when a level is put on it, as soon as i get a better mount system on it and re-zero the scope i have no doubt that il be able to pick off a lemon at 100 yards.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a Fed Ord Inc. M14SA. ive put anywhere from 500-1000rnds through it and havnt had any problems. After i traded a rifle for it i paid $750 out the door (was selling for $1300). Its very accurate! The only problem is with the scope mount. it sits too far to the right on the reciever and it tilts up in the front, not very noticable with your eye but very noticable when a level is put on it, as soon as i get a better mount system on it and re-zero the scope i have no doubt that il be able to pick off a lemon at 100 yards.
Try the mount from Basset Machine in Dripping Springs , Texas

A GOOD AR & scope will pick odd quarters ( 25 cents ) at 100 yards .

Have never gotten my SA M1A to do that . :-(

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
691 Posts
billc -
You don't say, but I would guess you are a guarenteed 100% sprungfeld M1A fan. Like most of those dufusses you think the chicoms are junk. One of the items you guys almost always use as a reason for not buying them is no factory warranty like you get from sprungfeld. What good is a warrenty on a rifle that doesn't need factory rework to correkt their screwups???
In the 9 yrs I've been on the internet I have seen reports of major malfunctions on every single one of the US made receiver M1A type rifles. I have not yet seen a single such report on the chicoms - even tho the very early all metric ones were not very good rifles!
IF the US made rifles are so very wunderful, why all these reports of them coming apart while being shot???
IF the chicoms are such junk, why are there not many, many reports of them coming apart while being shot???
Oh well --, you buy a US for $1500+/- and I'll buy a chicom for $750+/- and spend the other $750 on ammo.
Actually don't have to do that because I have 2 chicom M14 select fire and one M14/S that I've had for years - all 3 are all original chicom with no repairs todate.
Oh, buy the way - I know of 2 chicom M14 select fire rifles that have over 30K thru them - not mine - and are still all original chicom. Also know of 3 chicom M14/S semis' with over 10K thru each of them and they are also stull all original chicom.
YEP, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!
Sarge

21 - 40 of 51 Posts