Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
the wife & I are planning a trip to Alaska this Summer. (3 weeks in August.) we have long time friends that have a place a few hrs South of Anchorage. we plan on renting a camper and doing a little cruising. any tips from the Alaskans here would be appreciated. like what the weather is likely to be, things to see & do, what to bring, clothing, guns etc.. I haven't checked the regs. yet to see if I can do any hunting or fishing but that is not really the object of this trip. our friends keep telling us to come visit and we finally found the time & means to go. I know they will probably tell us enough info but I'd like hear what my G&G friends suggest.
thanks, mike

Premium Member
the wife & I are planning a trip to Alaska this Summer. (3 weeks in August.) we have long time friends that have a place a few hrs South of Anchorage. we plan on renting a camper and doing a little cruising. any tips from the Alaskans here would be appreciated. like what the weather is likely to be, things to see & do, what to bring, clothing, guns etc.. I haven't checked the regs. yet to see if I can do any hunting or fishing but that is not really the object of this trip. our friends keep telling us to come visit and we finally found the time & means to go. I know they will probably tell us enough info but I'd like hear what my G&G friends suggest.
thanks, mike
It's good that you are planning ahead. As you already know, Alaska is a big place, so driving from point A to point B is akin to interstate travel down south. Some ideas to consider:
1. Trip on the Alaska railroad northbound and return. You can see some spectacular views BUT the train will likely be packed with tourists.
2. Drive to Denali is another (my preferred) option. Plenty of good views along the way and numerous places to set up camp. Keep in mind you cannot drive through the park. You will have to take the park bus. But be forewarned you will be committed for at least 12 hours with the bus.
3. Chena Hotsprings! One of my favorite haunts! I prefer it in the Fall and Winter, but the summer nights are cool and the springs are soothing.
4. Exit Glacier... You'll be down that way so may as well check it out. Short hike.
5. If you do drive North you also have the Matanuska Glacier accessible off the Glenn Highway.
6. If you are in Homer and like Italian food and good pizza, be sure to stop by Fat Olives...I recommend the Carnivore pizza!
7. There are numerous sled dog kennels through the road system. If you are in the Valley, a stop by Martin Busers Happy Trails Kennels is fun...he is a heck of a nice guy and you will get to see what it takes to prep for the Iditarod Race.
8. You said you like fishing, you can purchase single day or multi day licenses. If you want some great scenery and great salt water fishing, go on a Halibut charter down in Seward or Homer...you'll likely catch enough fish to satisfy you for the year and see the beauty from the water.

There is a lot to do up here...too much to list lol.

Guns should not be a problem. Just check them at the airlines and you will be able to pick them up at the counter. Non residents can carry concealed without CCW and open carry is fine. Most places don't blink an eye if you have a gun on your hip - - except for maybe the occasional *Karen" in Los Anchorage 馃槀

Clothing... Light layers because the day and nighttime temps can vary quite a bit. Light wool sock and sturdy footwear are best. Bring bathing suits if you decide to go to Chena...light jackets or fleece pullovers are helpful - especially when fishing. Keep in mind the sun is up long periods so sunglasses and maybe an eye mask for sleeping if the light gets to you.

Oh...and I encourage you to buy a milepost book. Detailed information mile by mile for every major road in the state. The book lists attractions, fuel, food, campsites, hazards etc. Also helps out when you are driving in areas without cell coverage and need to know what is around you.

Registered
Are you driving to Alaska with rented camper or renting once you get to Alaska? If driving, the Canadian boarders will not be happy about any guns on board. Also, make sure you have something along to block sunlight coming through camper widows (if not already supplied) when trying to sleep. +1 on halibut fishing in Homer as mentioned above. We limited out each day. Ate some there and vacuum sealed and froze the rest to take home. We took a month off to drive to Alaska, tour and return. Lots of driving but you will see things that you would not any other way. If driving to Artic Circle, leave camper in Fairbanks. The pipeline road is not great for campers and stay clear of large pipeline work vehicles. These drivers do not slow down for tourist and can kick large rocks toward other vehicles.

One of our best family trips and the kids had a blast. Have a great trip!

Premium Member
Are you driving to Alaska with rented camper or renting once you get to Alaska? If driving, the Canadian boarders will not be happy about any guns on board. Also, make sure you have something along to block sunlight coming through camper widows (if not already supplied) when trying to sleep. +1 on halibut fishing in Homer as mentioned above. We limited out each day. Ate some there and vacuum sealed and froze the rest to take home. We took a month off to drive to Alaska, tour and return. Lots of driving but you will see things that you would not any other way. If driving to Artic Circle, leave camper in Fairbanks. The pipeline road is not great for campers and stay clear of large pipeline work vehicles. These drivers do not slow down for tourist and can kick large rocks toward other vehicles.

One of our best family trips and the kids had a blast. Have a great trip!
VERY GOOD POINT! I assumed flying up and renting from here. I would prefer flying considering the restrictions Canada has in place with the pandemic...assuming the restrictions will still be in place. Rocky may be a good source of info. If you do drive and want to have a gun up here, PM me and I will be able to turn you on to a few FFL's who can receive and ship for you.

The Arctic Circle is a good idea but I would stay clear of Dead Horse/Prudhoe Bay. As SF says, the road is not the best to drive and rentals up here are generally not allowed on unpaved surfaces. Also, Dead Horse has a lot of COVID restrictions in place. I flew up not long again to discuss some project history with a past client and they required a temperature log and screening before I was able to go up. The screening is done at the airport and without it, you will likely not be able to get accommodations or eat in some places. Just avoid it. If you want to get into the Arctic, I would recommend taking a short flight to Barrow (now known as Utqia摹vik). This would allow you to be at the northern most point in the the US, and there is a good tour you can take to see Polar Bears...also a really nice history center with a real "traditional room" where the locals repair whaling boats and make crafts". The flight is cheap and the two main hotels are nice... I would recommend "Top of the World" hotel because they have a restaurant on the first floor and the food is good. Tours depart from this hotel as well.

Gun Toting Boeing Driver
VERY GOOD POINT! I assumed flying up and renting from here. I would prefer flying considering the restrictions Canada has in place with the pandemic...assuming the restrictions will still be in place. Rocky may be a good source of info. If you do drive and want to have a gun up here, PM me and I will be able to turn you on to a few FFL's who can receive and ship for you.

The Arctic Circle is a good idea but I would stay clear of Dead Horse/Prudhoe Bay. As SF says, the road is not the best to drive and rentals up here are generally not allowed on unpaved surfaces. Also, Dead Horse has a lot of COVID restrictions in place. I flew up not long again to discuss some project history with a past client and they required a temperature log and screening before I was able to go up. The screening is done at the airport and without it, you will likely not be able to get accommodations or eat in some places. Just avoid it. If you want to get into the Arctic, I would recommend taking a short flight to Barrow (now known as Utqia摹vik). This would allow you to be at the northern most point in the the US, and there is a good tour you can take to see Polar Bears...also a really nice history center with a real "traditional room" where the locals repair whaling boats and make crafts". The flight is cheap and the two main hotels are nice... I would recommend "Top of the World" hotel because they have a restaurant on the first floor and the food is good. Tours depart from this hotel as well.
Some of my friends were up there hunting a few years back and their regular hunting rifles were fine. In fact, they had an easier time with their hunting rifles with Canadian customs than with US customs on the way back. Agree Rocky would be a good source of information. Pistols are another story as are semis (at least ARs/AKs).

One option is to fed ex or ups a handgun to yourself in care of someone up there (I think you can keep it at a FedEx facility perhaps until pickup but don't know if they've changed this policy). It's ATF legal; you address it to you and then in care of and the receiver doesn't open the package--and then ship it back to yourself when leaving. You can ship the gun but not ammo in that it's hazmat (it's actually ORM-D so if you got creative could ground ship it as such but this might be expensive). You might well be able to take the ammo along for the pistol too (if it were .44 mag, 38/357, or 45 colt it'd be easy in that this is both pistol and rifle).

Premium Member
Some of my friends were up there hunting a few years back and their regular hunting rifles were fine. In fact, they had an easier time with their hunting rifles with Canadian customs than with US customs on the way back. Agree Rocky would be a good source of information. Pistols are another story as are semis (at least ARs/AKs).

One option is to fed ex or ups a handgun to yourself in care of someone up there (I think you can keep it at a FedEx facility perhaps until pickup but don't know if they've changed this policy). It's ATF legal; you address it to you and then in care of and the receiver doesn't open the package--and then ship it back to yourself when leaving. You can ship the gun but not ammo in that it's hazmat (it's actually ORM-D so if you got creative could ground ship it as such but this might be expensive). You might well be able to take the ammo along for the pistol too (if it were .44 mag, 38/357, or 45 colt it'd be easy in that this is both pistol and rifle).
I am also referring to the covid restrictions in place going through Canada. From what I uderstand it's a PITY. I know there are requirements to "just keep going" no sight seeing, no unnecessary stops etc. Combine that with the usual hoops of bringing a firearm through and it just sounds like a hot mess.

Good idea with FedEx! Yes, you can fly with just ammo. That would be a good option. 馃憤馃徏

Wonderment :)
blaster: Sir; Just think 馃槣yawl will be cross鈥漨oskeets鈥 bred 馃榾 hahaha. 馃悵
Southern most chomping moskeets鈥 comparison to Alaskan 鈥渕oskeets鈥 chompers
Charge your cameras batteries 馃榿.
practice using them before you get there 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies.
we are flying and renting a camper up there. we probably will hang out near Homer with our friends a while. it will be silver salmon season and they are also commercial fishermen/buyers. actually they ore one of the buyers I sell some of my stone crabs to down here. they work half the year down here and half up there. so thats where I'll probably do most of my fishing. probably any hunting too.

Premium Member
thanks for the replies.
we are flying and renting a camper up there. we probably will hang out near Homer with our friends a while. it will be silver salmon season and they are also commercial fishermen/buyers. actually they ore one of the buyers I sell some of my stone crabs to down here. they work half the year down here and half up there. so thats where I'll probably do most of my fishing. probably any hunting too.
Now that's the way to fish!! Too bad you going to be up here in the fall/winter. They could take you south on their boat to Raspberry or Afognak Island and you could whack some blacktails off the beach right from the boat.馃槑 You could still take deer in that area at the time you are coming, but they will still be up high. No deer on the mainland area where you will be though...but moose season will be opening around that time though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts