Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oklahoma's major newspaper, The Oklahoman, calls a bill that would extend Right to Carry (for some) onto college campuses a knee jerk reaction to mass killings like those at Virginia Tech and Northern Illinois University. But like most media outlets, it's The Oklahoman that's offering a knee-jerk reaction: one that simply says, "Guns are bad."

Following The Oklahoman's logic that "in the case of a shooting, law enforcement would have a tough time figuring out the bad guys from the good guys," the paper should oppose ALL forms of Right to Carry. That means the paper should be opposed to the more than 60,000 Oklahoma residents who are RTC holders. And it means they think the Oklahomans who defended themselves and others should have been required to leave their guns at home.

The argument The Oklahoman makes against extending Right to Carry is the same argument gun control advocates make against Right to Carry laws in general. But we know, from ten years of experience in Oklahoma (and longer in other states), that Right to Carry holders and law enforcement are not at odds with one another. They support each other.

The bill in Oklahoma wouldn't change the requirements on who can get a Right to Carry license. In fact, the bill doesn't even go as far as legislation introduced in other states. In the Oklahoma bill, only those with 72 hours of law enforcement training or active duty and honorably discharged military veterans would be allowed to carry on campus. Yet even this modest step forward is too much for the editorial board of the paper.

You can't help but wonder why the paper has more faith that a madman won't target an Oklahoma campus than faith that a trained gun owner might be able to make a difference.

More...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
not a knee-jerk reaction

The Oklahoman is a liberal left wing newspaper in my opinion, with a knee-jerk owner.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The Oklahoman is a liberal left wing newspaper in my opinion, with a knee-jerk owner.
Agreed... why is it that we cannot get news out of the medias that is not skewered by political bias? I am simply getting to the point that I do not trust, nor do I believe a damn thing out of the media anymore...

Where is Walter Cronkite when we need him the most?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts