Not a Mosin but an SVT40

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Enfield trader, May 18, 2008.

1. Enfield trader

Enfield trader G&G Newbie

Well here is the 1941 Izhevsk SVT40 I've had since 1998, paid $350 for it and still haven't shot it. One of these days ! Oh yes it has the rails.

Attached Files:

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    10yrs! what are you waiting for, go shoot it!

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Just don't fire too many rounds per session. The Outdoor Channel had a show awhile back with a segment on WWII Soviet firearms, and I remember the narrator saying that one reason the SVT-40 was recalled was it had a tendancy to lock up solid after 40 rounds or so. The arsenals couldn't come up with a fix for the problem, so the Red Army recalled all the SVTs and reissued the Mosin Nagant.

4. F1609

F1609 Guest

what a beauty, I'd be very careful with her if she was mine. definetly not something i'd take out everyday.

5. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

please dont fire it! an unfired stv40 is worth quite a bit, and is only going to be worth more in the future!

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I don't know. I don't buy a gun unless I plan to fire it.

But people have certainly called me strange!:196:

7. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

well he paid 350 for it and unfired its worth about 850 ( I dont think I would fire it either ) LOL
    I have seen these go for 850 after they have been fired soooooooooo

8. I want one of these sooo bad. i have befriended the local gun shop owner and one day he caught me by surprise and took his out so i could "play" with it. and at that time i already wanted one... now i must have one :)

9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Nice rifle ET! Technically, all rifles have been fired at some point.

10. Enfield trader

I know it has been fired but just not by me

I will get it to the range sometime. I bought an AG42B at the same time forthe same price and finally shot that 2 years ago. Too many rifles and not enough time for the range!

11. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

It if IS unfired and you can prove it then maybe I would suggest not firing it. But I tend to advise fire it, take great care of it, enjoy it and it should retain value.

But, what the heck do I know. I am just a lowly mil surplus collector.

12. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I thought that when I retired, I'd have all the range time in the world. WRONG!!

13. Doubt that it is totaly unfired. This is a WWII military firearm ya know.

14. F1609

F1609 Guest

how much do you know about it when u bought it, was it covered in cosmo? clean? did you get it straight from a dealer?

15. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

That's what happens when you got a 5 year old stealing your shoes!:09:

16. It has a plum colored bolt. It is an arsenal refurb. It was rebuilt, probably renumbered, and stored away. The importer cleaned off enough cosmo to record a serial number and import mark it. I am sure it was fired plenty back in the day.

17. Fired mine recently, started locking up maybe 15-20 rounds. Using laquered ammo. Was thinking it was a dirty chamber.

18. My SVT-40 goes into 2x4 (locks up) at about 40 rounds. There is a gas system adjustment on the top near the end of the barrel. Here is what I know about it.

On unmodded rifles, the "numbers" are 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.7 and probably represent the gas port openings in millimeters ... so 1.7 will produce a much more violent action than 1.1.

You want to dial in only enough gas-energy to reliably extract/eject the cases.

Quote:
    -Is there a specific weight of projectile that cannot be exceeded, such as do not shoot heavy ball? I currently have Polish, Czech, and Russian light ball. If there is not a specific weight I might pick up some Sniper ball to try in it along with my PU sniper.

Some folks report that their SVTs "like" light over heavy ball (and vice versa) so you should probably just try both weights and decide which works the best in your rifle.

Have Fun!

I was told most work best at 1.5. I still have to go and try it to see what I can work out with it. Mil

19. nice rifle!:love:
    it's on my list.:)

20. Enfield trader

Rifle when bought was as you see it in the pics

bore is nice. Came from a small gunshop down south, don't remember the name though. Also came with the SVTV tools that are very hard to find now.