Not to bad for a fat old man with underlying condition.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by alleyyooper, Jul 7, 2020.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    Doctors appointment yesterday. The doctor got into a arguement with the group she was working with a year ago and moved to another two 14 miles away. All 2 lane road lots of hills and traffic also.
    So the county has a pair of truck out painting the fog and center lines in th eday time. Traffice is backed up ahead as far as I could see from hill tops and behind me also.

So with the traffice crap and the heat I was not at my happiest when I arrived and called to let them know I was there although 5 minutes late. I was sure they would say go home and reschedule but they said to go ahead and come in. They took my temp first thing I passed that test with a 97.7 readding.
    Weight was better than I figured, last time there in Febuary I was 250 pounds I was 231 yesterday, hey I will take a 20 pound drop any day.
    Blood pressure was 130 over 71 a bit higher than my normal, I figure due to the stinking traffic jam. Believe me I called the county road commission and gave them and ear full about that crap. That road should have been made into a four lane one like it is in the next county. Still a job that could be done at night.

So they took blood to check my A1C which I am hopeing will be under 8 this time. Also left them a urine sample, wasn't told what they were going to do with that.

Guess they determined I would live at least another 6 months since they wanted me to come in 6 months from now.
    Nope not going to do any appointments that far ahead will wait till about the 5 month mark to make an appointment. Still in the search for a new doctor so I do not have to drive that GAWD AWFUL road again.
    Ya i told them that to. I was not the one who moved to just above the septic system of Michigan.

Al

ammodotcom, Mowgli T., ChaZam and 7 others like this.
  2. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I'm an insulin dependent diabetic and have been for about 35 years. I never had an A1C below eight until this last time. I started using the Dexcom continuous glucose monitor system and it is the best thing I've ever done. It checks my blood every five minutes and lets me know if it's going up or down and warns me if it is going too far in either direction.

It's a little sensor that I wear on my abdomen and it communicates through my smart phone. My last Dr. appointment my A1C was 72...... first time ever! If you have insurance that will help you with the cost, I highly recommend the Dexcom system.

PAPA G and neophyte like this.

3. alleyyooper

Michigan
    I was commenting about those montiers to the nurse who calls me weekly to track my sugar readings with me.

The smart phone is the problem. I do not want to have that phone tied to me all the time. Here at home I rarely carry my cell phone when out side.
    Of course I am type II also.

Al

4. Have you looked into the Freestyle Libre? A friend switched to it and it's made a massive difference in his life.

5. Cattman

Cattman G&G Evangelist

guys and gals, work to get your blood sugar under control. i used to every thursday morning teach diabetics about it. i always told them you can ignore it but it wont ignore you. oh, i wish i only had a short distance to see my drs. its 135 miles one way every friday and now it will be to denver 3 times. with stayovers which cost a lot. however the 135 miles is very traffic friendly. we just have to watch out for crazy cattle truck drivers, also deer and antelope that jump out in front of you. that is the price i pay for my very nice rural freedom i have. when my boy who was raised only here went to college he had to learn to pee in the dorm toilet. not in the grass out side which he had been doing for 19 years. thats freedom.

6. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I have type II & am on metformin. The VA stopped sending me test strips & I asked why. They said they'd determined that it was no longer necessary to test. My last AIC at last check up was 6.5.

neophyte, PAPA G and ncnascarlady like this.
  7. I'm type ll technically but operationally I'm not. My A1C has been between 5.2 -5.6 without meds for the last few years. Doesn't mean I don't test every morning though because of the pancreatic enzymes I'm on.

neophyte and PAPA G like this.
  8. alleyyooper

Michigan
    I am on Metform in Victosia morning 1.8 units, 66 units of levmir insulin in the morning and 70 units in the evening.

Got my A1C results today and I was at 8.

i test my blood before all three meals every day.

Al

neophyte, PAPA G and ncnascarlady like this.
  9. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

When I was testing, I tested before breakfast, 2 hours after breakfast & bedtime. I could usually predict what my readings would be, based on what I ate. Guess that's why they figured testing was a waste.:)

I know my checkup this year may be high. :oops:

10. Cattman

Cattman G&G Evangelist

alleyooper and mitchr i want you both to know a little info that will surprise you. in the study of metformin they the researchers found out that Those who use metformin were getting new brain cells faster than anyone else. in other wards metformin can raise your IQ and make you smarter. finally a medication that has a very good side affect. have you two noticed anything like that in your alertness in every day activities? its most likely their if you look for it.

neophyte, rando, PAPA G and 1 other person like this.
  11. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

According to my wife, no!:p

I've seen headlines lately about doctors preferring another "system". Haven't bothered opening it to find out what it say's as I leave that up to my doctor, not some over paid writer/celebrity. I say, "follow the $$". I kinda figured it was 'cause the other "system" was more expensive, thus the doctors getting a bigger cut. Now, from what you say, maybe they are afraid of us getting smarter & just want to keep us dumb, fat & happy. :rolleyes:

neophyte, rando, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  12. alleyyooper

Michigan
    I do not know if I have increased brain power or not.
    I have always worked on keeping. ahealthy mind and memory. People have said to me in the past when working when I told them we had that problem 5 years ago and this how we fixed it then.

I also take what the VA provides since I am a service connected disabled vet.

Al

13. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Glad your visit went reasonably well, especially the 20 pound weight loss. I don't get out and travel much anymore, but when I do I am always appalled at the condition of roads and streets in general, as well as the current ongoing road and utility projects that seemingly never end. Got some here locally where the original contractor went bankrupt and then it all set there idle for many months with 4 lanes of traffic squeezed into two lanes with all the associated barrels, cones, barricades.
    Congrats on the health improvements though sir...

neophyte likes this.
  14. alleyyooper

Michigan
    Michigan roads for the most part suck big time too.
    Problem is they were siphoning the road tax funds for other stuff. Now that it is going to cost into the billions to fix them, they can't figure a way to tax us more.

They have tried about every which way of taxing us. Latest as of this week they are doing a study of making the roads toll roads.

That won't fly if we the people get to vote on it. We want them to get the funds back that they siphoned off. Take out of their pay I say.

Al

neophyte and Huey Rider like this.
  15. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Our previous governor tried that. Not only make new highways toll roads, but old ones. We learned that the state had siphoned $$ off highway funds for other projects. He ain't governor, no more. I think, cause bush gave him a federal job to loaf on.:rolleyes:

neophyte likes this.
  16. alleyyooper

Michigan
    Ya many in this state woke up too and sent the crooks packing. Just need to clean the house some more come November.

Al

neophyte and Huey Rider like this.
  17. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Save the traffic, this could have been an account of my last visit to my Doc. Been with him for years. He is not too far away. I could no longer stand Metformin. Changed over to Januvia. The co-pay doubled on the new med. Grousing about cost until the summary came for Part D. Insurance pays out $461.28. According to net, patents have expired but no generic to date. Talk about a license to steal! Dare we check their political contributions?

Added: Having two conditions that put one at risk for the virus we stay home and wear a mask. Some more Hoax.

18. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

not to mention that you live in one of the most gorgeous areas of the whole country! Be happy that you are living in isolation!

neophyte likes this.
  19. Cattman

Cattman G&G Evangelist

talk about a license to steal, i took my last chemo med at bed time last night. may have to take one now and then the dr said but not for quite a while. that pill cost 1000 dollars a pill. their were 44 of them if my memory is right. things like that should not be. my dr. said it is used all over the country and very effective with lots of cancers. thats why it cost so much, so they that own it can get rich fast. my dr. says it makes him up set also but can do nothing about it.

neophyte likes this.