NY lottery drawing is 9-1-1 on 9/11

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stewart, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Stewart

Stewart Guest

I couldn't make this things up if I tried, could you imagine the one time you hit 5,000 people pick the same number.

NY lottery drawing is 9-1-1 on 9/11

Officials say they expect high number of winners

ASSOCIATED PRESS

ALBANY, N.Y., Sept. 12 — On the anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a date often repeated as 9/11, the numbers that popped up for the New York Lottery were 9-1-1. “The numbers were picked in the standard random fashion using all the same protocols,†said Lottery spokeswoman Carolyn Hapeman. “It’s just the way the numbers came up.â€

LOTTERY OFFICIALS said Thursday that 5,631 people selected the winning sequence. It wasn’t immediately clear how much they won. The 9-1-1 combination was picked so often, it reached the lottery’s set limit for combinations and sold out, Hapeman said. On any given day, seven to 10 sets of numbers are “closed out,†she said.

Christopher M. Rump, an assistant professor of industrial engineering who studies probability at the University of Buffalo, said there was a one in 1,000 chance of the numbers â€9-1-1†coming up on in the lottery. “I’m a bit surprised, but I wouldn’t characterize it as bizarre.†Rump says. “It’s randomness. Every number has the same chance of coming up. People tend to read into these things. I’m sure that whatever numbers come up tonight will have some special meaning to someone, somewhere.â€

A similar coincidence occurred Nov. 12 when the numbers 5-8-7 came up in the New Jersey Lottery the day American Airlines Flight 587 crashed on the New York coast.
    Hapeman said Wednesday was the first time in more than a year that the 9-1-1 combination had come up in the New York Lottery. For the evening drawing, the lottery uses numbered balls circulating in a machine. When three levers are pressed, three balls pop up into tubes randomly.

© 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. I dunno

Howdy,

I'm not really a numerologist, but I think there is something to numbers once in a while.

A few years back, when I lived in the Milwaukee area, the pick three numbers, drawn on Halloween were 6 - 6 - 6!

Now the 9 - 1 - 1, and 5 - 8 - 7 lottery numbers. Add to that the bit (I barely remember it correctly) with the OJ Simpson Murder trial. If you added up a bunch of numbers, I think it was the date of the murders, it came to OJ's Jersey Number when he played for the Bills.

3. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

Heard that this morning on the radio. Was kind of speechless. Have to lean towards the "rigged" side myslef, but would like to believe that it was something along the Devine lines....

4. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

wicked man just plain wicked!!!!

5. Rock

Rock Guest

Sounds like a NWO joke! There is no way that was a random pick NO WAY!

6. Benny

Benny Guest

I don't really remember my probability class too much but it's weird how those things work out!

Benny

7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Strange... :jaw: