close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

O K LETS START TALKING 99'sHERE

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bgl0b6, Mar 16, 2002.

1. bgl0b6

bgl0b6 G&G Newbie

Back on the G&K forum I mostly stayed in the backround and listened and learned.I went by the name Merl.I know a good many of you by your name and the knowlege you have of the 99.We can make this work here but we have to do it,it isn't going to just happen.I dont have any questions today so I'll just tell you about my Savages.My interests in Savage 99's began about 20 years ago,a friend of mine[gunsmith]was buying every 250 EG he could get his hands on ,he was selling them to as he put it ''THE SWEDES UP IN MINNISOTA''.He claimed the loved them,would buy all he could get.I looked for a long time trying to find a clean one,finially bought a post war EG in 300 Savage.The first year I hunted with it I was sold on the 99.I have other guns but when I go looking I'm usually in search of 99's.I currently own 1 300 shooter,2 -300 EG's 90%+++and 1-250 EG,95% with a Stith mount and scope,1-250 R 98%.All are 1948-1955 guns,just bought another Stith from Lightfoot Mike,and Iam currently looking for a reasonable Alaskan scope.You guys must have all the early Savages that are any good because every one I see is beat to death.O K Somebody elses turn........

2. Moon

Moon G&G Newbie

Finding 99's worth a flip.

They are out there. You just have to hunt for them. 99's sure seem to be the "hot" gun right now.
    I've found several out on the web. A couple in local places like pawn shops. One way to try is hit a few garage sales. Ask if they have any guns they want to sell. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Plus you never know what might turn up.
    The gun shows around here are a joke. They usually have the really bad cruddy stuff and want mint prices.
    So just keep on looking they are there.
    One thing I have learned from the guys on the forum is: If you find one you like, don't let it pass over a lousy $50 or $75.
    Clean 99's are tough enough to find so when you find one grab it.
    Sure try to get as cheap as possible but if you let it go you'll regret it. Besides re-sell is always an option.

3. RST

RST G&G Newbie

Texas
    I can see why these things can be habit forming - bought my first one a couple of weeks ago. It was found in the used rack of a gun shop - a 99E in 308. Guess I'll have to locate one of those famous 250's!

4. Chris D

Chris D G&G Newbie

Texas
    Moon, it's funny you mention garage sales as a possible location for hunting savage 99s. Just today I stopped at a garage sale. they didnt have any guns... but I noticed they had some old herters catalogs, gun digests and other hunting / shooting related odds & ends for sale so I asked if they had any guns they were thinking about selling. After I visited with her for a while the lady running the sale said she did have a rifle she wanted to sell - but that she didn't feel comfortable selling it at her garage sale. After we visited for a while she agreed to show it to me. It was a savage cased set. A really nice one. She even had a couple of full boxes of savage ammo to go with it. It's mine now. You're right - it always pays to pay attention. and it never hurts to ask.

5. Rick....

Rick.... G&G Newbie

Some dogs get all the bones!

ChrisD,

I could have done without that story! You are one lucky dog. Wouldn't be for sale would it? You know they take up a lot of valuable storage space.

Rick....

6. Moon

Moon G&G Newbie

See I told you!!!!!!

The garage sale angle is top secret. I once bagged a 6.5x55mm Norwegian Krag at one. And some infidel lucks into a CASED SET! I shoulda kept me mouth shut.
    No really congrats on your find.

7. jbmi

jbmi G&G Newbie

I'm new here, came to this place after hearing about it on 24hourcampfire.
    I'm a 99 fan also. I have a 1946 99 in 300 Savage the barrel is stamped Utica NY, and another 99 made in the late 1950's in 358. I use them both for deer hunting.
    Being left handed the lever action is an easy rifle to shoot, but the lever safety's are a pain in the butt.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2002
  8. tbolt

tbolt G&G Newbie

Savage 99 Help

I've always like the looks of the Savage 99 but have never had a chance to buy one. I have found one in a local pawn shop but don't have a clue if it's worth the price ($400). It's a Savage 99E, Series A, #D459691 in .243. Blueing is 80%, no rust or pitting. appears in excellent shape except for one large dent in stock. Gun Trades's Guide says it would be worth $275 in excellent condition. This seems low. Any ideas?

9. bgl0b6

bgl0b6 G&G Newbie

I think that ones priced high myself.the later guns would have to be mint to bring that kind of money.If you watch the auction sights you could get a pretty clean pre-1960 gun for that price.the guns with the serial # under one-million are more collectible,thought to be better quality.There out there,watch the gun shows,youll find one

10. John V.

John V. G&G Newbie

I have a 99 .300 it was given to me by my Dad ,he bought it used from a freind around 1959. The serial # is 404049 and Im just wondering if there was a way to find out when it was made. It is in great condition and is unbelivably accurate I would never sell it as Im a hunter and this is my rifle of choice but I would like to know the value.If anyone has any info please let me know. Thank`s.

11. bgl0b6

bgl0b6 G&G Newbie

HI,YOUR SAVAGE WAS MADE ABOUT 1940,AS TO VALUE,IT DEPENDS ON A LOT OF VERIABLES,CONDITION,ORIGINALITY,ACCESSARYS.TRY THE SAVAGE FORUM AT ...24 hour campfire.com

12. John V.

John V. G&G Newbie

Thank`s for the info , as for the condition it`s clean as a whistle. The barrel has a few little spots on it but it does`nt need to be reblued it`s a long way from that. The bore is very clean no pits or scratches. and it fires great I still use it for deer hunting.As for accessories it has a 4x scope thats all everything else is original .