Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During his first run for elected office, Barack Obama played a greater role than his aides now acknowledge in crafting liberal stands on gun control, the death penalty and abortion â?? positions that appear at odds with the more moderate image he has projected during his presidential campaign.

More...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,495 Posts
In the movie M*A*S*H, there is a scene where a patient of Major Frank Burns was found in cardiac arrest in Post-Op. When Burns yelled for a cardiac needle (presumably to give the patient a shot of adrenalin) Private Boone, the not-overbright ward boy, brought him a regular syringe instead. Burns threw the syringe on the floor, snarled at the kid, and told him, "It's too late, Boone - you killed him!" Trapper John McIntyre saw it, and a little while later punched Burns right in the chops. Trapper John has little tolerance for incompetents and less for jackasses.

Afterwards, Duke Forrest, Hawkeye Pierce, Henry Blake and Trapper John discussed the technique of Major Frank Burns when a surgical case goes sour on him. Duke observed, "When a patient dies, it's never anything Frank did. It's always, 'God's Will,' or somebody else's fault." And, Hawkeye pointed out, he was always quick to shift the blame to someone else.

Gee. That sure sounds a lot like Barack Obama's tactics vis-a-vis embarrassing information to me. Perhaps Obama has been taking lessons in accountability from Frank Burns. Just how dumb does he think the electorate is?

In 1996 Barack Obama was a comparative nobody, a minor player in the Midwestern political game. I am sure that he did not check off the boxes on the survey that reveals he's both pro-abortion and anti-gun personally. That platitude about "enforcing the law while protecting the rights of honest gun owners" is classic Democratic Party antigun camouflage hype and shine. But the fact there are notes in his own handwriting on the survey form indicates he sure as hell saw it! If he had a problem with what his staffer put on the form as representing Obama's views, he should have either told the staffer what his views are so they could be correctly represented, or he should have not allowed the form to be returned. Rank and file staffers can't send that kind of thing off without someone high up in the campaign hierarchy okaying it. Again, probably not Obama himself, but surely someone who worked directly with Obama and knew his thinking on these subjects approved its release to the outfit that sent it.

When a document goes out over your name, you are responsible for the contents. Even if someone else filled it out, if it has your name on it, it's your responsibility.

Frankly, I'd have more respect for Obama if he had said something like, "That's what I thought ten years ago. But time and experience have changed my mind. This is what I feel today." But that's not what he did. He tried to claim it was a mistake by some poor little staffer, who did not correctly represent his views in 1996.

"It's 'God's Will,' or somebody else's fault." Sorry, Barack, but that didn't play at the 4077th MASH in Korea, and it surely won't play on the national political stage in America.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,932 Posts
Excellent words, Cyrano.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts