Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps no other issue causes politicians to shift to the right as they enter the national arena more so than guns. And perhaps no other issue so explicitly causes politicians attempting such a leap to shoot themselves in the foot.

More...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
A.H. They [the candidates/politicians] cannot do an "about face" as they are "two-faced" they "speak with forked tongue", drivil pandering to one set of would-be supporters, thay say what that group wants to hear out of one side of their mouths and out the other side of their [the politicians/candidates] mouths they say what they believe the other group wants to hear. I wouldn't trust the whole durn bunch as far as I could fling 'em.
We're between a rock and a hard place friend. I really believe that the ultra- liberal news media has already elected our next "executive officer" to fill the oval office.
Like the sentence used in typing class "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country" we should do just that before it is too late---

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't think an about face is what they would do, to get elected they have to appear to at least tollerate gun owners, If and when one of their operatives blows a gasket and goes on some shooting spree they will use this as an excuse to legislate more laws, figuring they would draw a knee jurk reaction from the public wanting some thing done!!I just hope next time a legitamate gun owner stops the next massacre which will get very little press!!!

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
All it will take is another Columbine or Vigina tech incident to get the gun ban rolling again. Now when you think about it, a good solution in my mind is to raise the purchasing age of a handgun to 25. Most people are out of college by then so a college kid couldn't legally buy a handgun. That way, any time a college or high school shooting happens we can safely say that they acquired the firearm illegally.

To appease everyone who may be against this, a family member may purchase a handgun for anyone under 25 but at least 21 and give them it as a gift. However, then the blame could be shifted to the family providing the gun.

One thing that really gets me about gun control, is that no one realizes that if you ban guns there will still be plenty of guns in our country. The only difference is that the government would just create a black market and more crime for those illegally acquiring firearms. On the other hand, gun advocates dismiss everything else about a politician if there is any question about the 2nd.

I think we need to remind our nation that when we declare war on certain things it never pans out well. Let us review; the war on drugs -FAIL - the war on education - FAIL - the war on terror - FAIL - the war on health care - FAIL - the war on alcohol (prohibition era) - FAIL.

It obviously never works and ultimately just creates more crime.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
With all the recent shootings, it won't only be the politicians making the stink about it anymore anyhow. I'm sure plenty will have something to say about it.

I mean I'm a gun owner and I'm fed up with all the senseless killing. Not just with the V.Tech or the Omaha,NE. mall shootings , but you have the 5 dead women in the Tinley Park,IL. Lane Bryant store, some people were reportedly shot while simply walking down a street in Chicago I saw last night and I just read there was 5 dead in an L.A. stand off, 1 being another police officer and another one is in surgery. The other 4 dead in that are the gun man and supposedly 3 members of his family.

I mean when it all takes place everyone has to be concerned. I know I'm not only concerned as a gun owner and the implications such stupidity can have on our rights. But I have to be concerned for my own safety. In IL. there is no CCW or right to carry. Then there's the I have to be concerned simply out of the I'm a human being with compassion, ethics, morals and a heart that says, my God, what is going on anymore.

I still want a President that will stand by the Constitution and that is in favor of not stripping our rights, but, there will undoubtedly be repercussions from all of the recent gun violence just in the past year, and there will probably be even more before the election. So I'm sure it is no where near over.

Just my 2 cents.

And to add to the growing list of firearm related incidents I started above, and that the antis and pro-banners could potentially as their proof that a ban is needed and or more gun laws and whatever else someone dreams up, I just read yet another shooting, this time in Missouri at a public meeting. Where the Mayor, yet another police officer and others were shot by a gun man, who was eventually shot and killed. Just heard on the news that there is 6 dead. And >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Then there's a story pistolcity posted a link about titled (Anyone see this????) where some guy that was denied a liquor license wrote a letter stating he was going to shoot up the super bowl, drove there supposedly with an AR15 and 200 rounds of ammo, then couldn't follow through with it, THANK GOD. Fortunately no one died in this incident, but they'll still use it or try to along with all the many others that have taken place since the V.Tech shootings. And these are the ones I've listed here and only the ones I've heard of, so there is more then likely, many more. And the list of firearm related deaths/incidents just keep piling up. As I said, just starting with the V.Tech incident to now, there have been so many, that it's inevitable that something is going to happen. Either a ban, possibly a permanent one this time, more gun laws, or both.

G-Meister

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If just one person had a firearm at Virgina Tech,how many lives could of been saved ? all of them? maybe not ? but I believe the casualty rate would of been much lower.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
If just one person had a firearm at Virgina Tech,how many lives could of been saved ? all of them? maybe not ? but I believe the casualty rate would of been much lower.
I know that and totally agree with you 110% mym1A, but no one did, saying it isn't going to change any of it and you know as well as I do, they'd always find faults with it if someone did and had. Not to mention, the first time a CCW had a mishap or has one, they'll be all over that like flies to crap. And you have to figure, the more CCW holders out there, the higher the odds are of accidental incidents involving them will be. But, I still totally agree with you.

G-Meister

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
That is a moot point as firearms are banned from every college campus that I know of.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
CNN is covering another shooting right now...A man shot his school teacher wife in her class room in front of children, then I believe he went home and shot himself.

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
its moot because no one is willing
to challenge the college administarion and state laws!!!!!!

I am sorry but I am going to have to disagree completely with this due to the stress and life styles college students have. Giant universities make millions and millions of dollars every year off of tuition and fees. They can easily hire their own private security, that can be armed, that can also have the ability to respond immediately to situations like this.

They can easily afford it, they should be responsible for the student's protection after all they are getting 10s of thousands or more each year from that student.

·
Banned
4,449 Posts
I wonder if campus security carrys any firearms?????probably not

Given our current events in our country, I would hope that they do put some sort of armed security on campus to stop such things from every happening to anyone. Of course nothing is fool proof, but I think having a decent armed patrol there only for the safety of the students (only to defend them against shooters or a bomber or whatever and nothing else) would be ideal.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Given our current events in our country, I would hope that they do put some sort of armed security on campus to stop such things from every happening to anyone. Of course nothing is fool proof, but I think having a decent armed patrol there only for the safety of the students (only to defend them against shooters or a bomber or whatever and nothing else) would be ideal.
many college campus won't allow it

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Utah state law allows qualified people, even students to have firearms of campus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts