close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Odd ammo at the range

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Dog, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I found a couple empty cases at the range I haven't seen before. They are a cloudy white plastic with a silver (nickel? or maybe aluminum) rimmed casehead, with the stampings "USAC 38 SPL". Some type of .38 Special training load? They are shorter than brass cases, and the plastic is fairly thick, with a noticeable step about a third way down from the mouth. Are these things commercially available? :confused:

2. OldSchool

OldSchool G&G Newbie

Ya know, I think I remember reading about those somewhere recently. They are designed for one time use (non reloadable) and are supposed to be like half the cost. I think they are available in just a few handgun cartridges and only ones with straight walled cases.

OldSchool

3. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
    Actually, I remember reading about these in the early 80's. It was actually a bit of the opposite of single use. They were designed to be reloaded with a tiny little hand device. The plastic cases didn't need to be resized. You de-primed and reprimed, charged the cases, then used this little hand press to push a new bullet into place. I once had one of these cases I found at the range also. Just my recollection, but I think I saw all this in an old Guns Magazine.

later,
    AJ

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Thats the remants of the Speer Lawman practice ammo most shops get it a 1 shot aluminum case -- I see tham all the time for a while I thought speer was trying to tell us reloaders who scavange brass from the ranges that they wanted us to buy factory ammo.

5. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA

They might have been if they were all aluminum. The original post states clearly the bulk of the case was white PLASTIC and had a USAC headstamp, not CCI. Those are not Blazer cases.

later,
    AJ