close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Odd case headstamp

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by CopperniX, Mar 8, 2017.

1. CopperniX

CopperniX Forum Fanatic Staff Member

OK so being on disability after getting nerve damage in my arm so I cannot drive anything with more than 4 wheels. I have more time to reload and noticed something weird on some Hornady brass. Both of these cases came from the same box.

[​IMG]

I noticed this more than once. Has anyone else noticed the inconsistency of the headstamps on Hornady brass?

2. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I'm noticing what appears to be differing firing pin strikes. Were these both fired from the same firearm?

3. chesterwin

Looking a little closer, the case on the left appears to be a well used reload while the one on the right appears to be a once fired case.

Big Dog likes this.
  4. CopperniX

Nope one was fired from my Remington 700 tactical and the right is from my AR both were new when fired.

5. chesterwin

I'll just say the case on the left has grit or something between the primer and pocket. It does not look anything near new.

6. CopperniX

except they were completely random and from both rifles just wondering how often people get light headstamps.

7. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

I bet the A/R also shoots 5.56 and has a looser head spacing where the bolt gun has a tighter lock up.

8. Rocky7

Rocky7 G&G Evangelist

Alberta
    You don't usually see primers crater like that in store-bought ammo.

DaTeacha likes this.
  9. CopperniX

You sir would be correct although currently it has the .300 blackout upper on it.

SUBMOA likes this.
  10. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Maybe it's just the lighting and shadows working here, but if you hadn't done anything other than post the pics and ask 'wazzup?' I would answer two different guns, a well used case on the left, hot loads in both based on cratering, and perhaps excess headspace on the left and maybe the right, too. The left primer is bulged like a balloon in addition to the cratering, indicating there was a lot of movement. To see the stamped lettering on the case basically obliterated is kind of scary. Do you have a set of gauges to check headspace on these guns? You could cut the case open and check the inside right above the head for incipient separation which would be indicated by a bright ring in that area.

ChaZam likes this.
  11. DaTeacha: The cases were supposedly new. Left one was a Rem 700; right an AR. Overpressure was one of my first thoughts, too, but the primers are not flattened. As pointed out in a previous post, there appears to be enough groove remaining in the left case to be holding some grit or other debris. I think a headspace problem is allowing the primer to partly back out of the left case and cause the primer defacement we see. I can't relate that to the loss of the headspace marking. Personally, I have never seen any Hornady brass with faint markings (the original question).

12. CopperniX

I will check the headspace since it was brought up both guns are the easiest for me to use since I only have feeling in one arm and both are bipoded.

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Maybe the manufacturer's stamping machinery got out of adjustment on the one case? Could be a batch of light-stamped cases out there.
    Have you checked other cases from the same box?

14. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

They both look like a combination that I wouldn't knowingly shoot again.

15. OK, you lost me on this one. Just for clarification. You say your AR has a .300 Blackout upper on it? Is this what you fired the case on the left in?

16. 63B20

63B20 G&G Evangelist

Montana

I thank he changed uppers. currently it has the .300 blackout upper

17. CopperniX

Nope and left was fired in a bolt gun.

18. Well, we still do not have an explanation for the differing headstamps. This was apparently not noted prior to the initial loading, so the concern is that it was secondary to firing. I assume that all brass from that supply was used, else you could check the unfired cases. Perhaps, the source of that brass has more cartridge cases with the same lot number. If they were purchased from a brick and mortar retailer, go to the store and see if any boxes with that lot number are on the shelf. No need to buy any. Just inspect several boxes for the abnormal imprint. If you can't do that (e.g., mail order source), then I'd check the headspace of both firearms. I would also make up a few rounds using the same die set up as before. Then, I'd take my micrometer all over those rounds to be sure they are SAMMI spec.

19. noylj

noylj G&G Enthusiast

SW USA
    The tool used to imprint the headstamp wears out after a while. You could have cases from one line with the imprint tool in good shape and one with one near the end of its life.

Ten Man likes this.
  20. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

That is interesting!

Since there are no pictures of the cases' conditions BEFORE they were fired, it is difficult to make evaluations of changes in the brass head itself, by virtue of them being fired from different rifles.