close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Officer's Model/Commander Hybrid

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mike the JAG, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

I've heard that the Officer's Model size pistols are not reliable. Is it possible to put the Commander slide and barrel on the OM frame?

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have seen this done in one of the gun magazines, last month I think. It was a very neat conversion, and very straight forward.

:target:

3. Mike, This is a somewhat popular conversion, but not one that needs to be done because the Officers model can't be made reliable. Properly tuned, the Officers model is every bit as reliable as it's larger brethren in my opinion.

4. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

Thanks for the information.

5. 2xTap

2xTap G&G Newbie

Mike,

The conversion you stated was done by Colt for a time. It was called the CCO (Concealed Carry Officers). It combined a stainless Commander slide and barrel to a aluminum Officers frame which was black anodized. They are no longer in production.

Recently Colt went in just the opposite direction by adding the Defender Plus to it's line. Which combines a stainless Defender slide and barrel (which is 1/2" shorter than an Officers) to a aluminum Commander frame with a slightly shortened dust cover.

I once owned a stainless MKIV S80 Officers and it was nothing but 100% reliable. It is now the property of a close friend who had me work it over a bit for him last month. King's bushing and 1-piece giude/plug, Chip McCormick trigger, Wilson upswept grip safety, and a full internal polish job. It's still 100% reliable, just a bit more accurate.

2xTap

6. LOBO

LOBO G&G Newbie

My friend has one of those first Officers ACP when they came out in late 1980s. Its more accurate that any full size 1911 (gi spec).
    And yes about 99% reliable. Some ammo needed alittle polishing to get it to work 100%.