close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oh boy here it comes

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Ok the lapd thing has got a lawsuit filed....they want "7 figures" according to the news....well we all expected that...actualy seems a little slow in comeing.
    At work everyone who had so much as a sun tan was ranting about racial motives and white cop/people vs non whites.... 9 hours of this from everyone includeing the UPS and Airbore express guys.... This is going to get out of hand in a hurry...

Welp now (Ill post the story) it seems that everyone with a vedio camra is comeing out with the vedio tape of everything.....

I bet by next week anyone one who is "white" will all be peged as Neo-Nazi KKK members who send LAPD free Nite Sticks.....No matter how we act..talk..or causes we support.

Necessary Force?
    Okla. City Cops Caught on Tape
    Beating Suspect; Say Man Resisted
    The Associated Press

O K L A H O M A C I T Y, Okla., July 10 — Oklahoma City police officials are investigating the actions by two officers who were seen on a videotape striking an unarmed man with their hands, knees and tactical batons during an arrest.

Print This Page
    Email This Page
    See Most Sent

• Researchers Find Your Oldest Relative
    • Is Customer Service a Thing of the Past?
    • Meet the Ultimate Hulkamaniac

Officers Greg Driskill and E.J. Dyer could be seen on the tape trying to subdue Donald Reed Pete, 50, who appeared to not cooperate with verbal orders given by police. The videotape was disseminated to local media outlets, which broadcast the tape either partially or entirely.
    Police were called to the scene just west of downtown Oklahoma City on Monday by Brian Bates, a self-proclaimed "video vigilante," who has been taping illegal sexual activity and reporting it to police.

At the beginning of the video, Driskill is seen putting a handcuff on one of Pete's wrists, then swinging him around when the man appears to resist Driskill's order. After eventually getting down on the ground, the officer rolls Pete over and the man says something to Driskill.

The officer yells at Pete to get down on the ground, then sprays pepper spray into the man's face and puts his knee on Pete's neck. Pete tells the officer he is on the ground, but appears to refuse to put his other arm behind his back.

Bates on Tuesday said he saw Pete pick up a woman near downtown and followed the pair to a church parking lot.

"I saw them start to take off their clothes and engage in a lewd act," Bates said. "Then I called 911."

Driskill approached Pete's vehicle alone and on foot, police said.

"At some point, Driskill ordered Pete out of the van, and he observed him to take what appeared to be marijuana and begin eating it," police Capt. Jessica Cummins said. "He realized that Pete was destroying evidence and made an attempt to prevent him from eating all of it."

‘Losing It’

The pilot of a police helicopter hovering above the scene reported that Driskill was "losing it" and requested backup, Cummins said.

Dyer arrived and helped Driskill subdue Pete, Cummins said. Dyer also used pepper spray and his baton.

The officers repeatedly struck Pete on the arms, legs and back, stopping after handcuffing the man.

Bates, who makes money from his "video vigilante" Web site and from regular appearances on a television talk show, said he believes the officers used more force than was necessary.

"He never once made a fist. … From the get-go, the man was just very slow to respond to orders," said Bates, who was seen on the tape approaching Driskill and handing him his baton, which had fallen to the ground.

Cummins said Driskill and Dyer appear to have followed the police use of force continuum, which limits police to using non-lethal force against an unarmed suspect unless lives are endangered.

"He [Pete] was actively resisting, but not aggressively resisting," Cummins said. "He kept trying to push himself up from the ground."

Officers filed complaints of destroying evidence, resisting arrest, and assault and battery of an officer against Pete, but he has not been formally charged.

No formal complaints have been filed against police, Cummins said.

The officers' actions will be reviewed internally as part of a routine use of force investigation, Cummins said.

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

2. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

God I am so tired of hearing these things called racism. These cops are certainly stressed out and this guy obviosly did something to these cops to make them loose control like they did. While this man is resisting they have every right to use whatever force they feel necessary to get him under control. I hear that the guy refused to get in the car. Is this what set them off causing them to hit and slam him? if he would not get in the car lay him down and cuff him hog tied style and toss him in. They were other ways this could have been handled.

7 figs; I am not surprised, but this is way too much. Yes he had his civil rights violated, but not that much, he has no long lasting effects as a result of the attack. 200G's tops should be good enough.

3. I am sorry, but I go to sleep reading for days.

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well they only show the scene of him being hit..what about the other minutes where he was found....good point mentioned in this article...

I better not hear one peep outta my FedEx guy about this case!

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Chris you said exactly what needs to be seen what happens prior I remember being jacked up on adreniline and nailing a guy in the arm with my 29" cocabola baton. He swung at me I busted the arm in defense, plus this guy had already had a full can of pepper spray put in his face by my partner and then took off running. Turns out he was way up on Meth. My case turned out good but if someone had video'd me that would not have been seen. never argue these unless you are there

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Wonder if the media people will try to incite another riot/looting spree like they did in LA. The whole Rodney King thing was so bogus. First they carefully edited out the video footage of King attacking the cops. Then they forgot to mention the exact circumstances of the arrest, including what happened to the other two perps involved. They strongly implied the "beating" was racially motivated. Then after the trial, they omitted actually saying what the officers were found "not guilty" of and implied that it was a charge of excessive force, rather than the actual charge of ATTEMPTED MURDER. To top it off, they then strongly implied that the jury was motivated by racism. Of course, once the riots started, police chief Gates EVACUATED all police from the affected area.

7. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Hey I saw this on tv. the guy must have been hopped up on something bc he didn't even flinch when they hit him.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2002
  8. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I agree that two of the cops seem to have used excessive force in in the incident on the videotape. I think they should have just shot the perp while he was attacking the officer, rather than trying to subdue him, and saved everyone from this discontent.

9. klaus i am with you on this one woulda cost less that way.....

10. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

two words "Johnney Cocren" and 7+ figures...gureentee it will happen in both case and yep the race card (heck the whole deck) will be tossed down.

11. Didn't even flinch--The LEO didn't hit him that hard. My opinion the guy was cuffed. And now the person who video taped this is under arrest.--what's up with that?? If the guy had warrants to hide--why would he put himself in that position?? Man it is cool for LEO's to act like a family, but not on camera. My personal opinion cops are out to get video guy.

12. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Now supposedly, the punk kid grabbed ahold of the cop's huevos while he was being lifted. That was why he was slammed on the hood.

13. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Heard on Fox that the same cop and a few other officers rousted another guy about 300+lbs and busted him up pretty good -- he is also sueing the department. Sounds like there is definitely more to whats going on there but I also heard this foolish kid would not stand and they needed to get him on his feet so they picked him up and tossed him over the car to get him where he could be searched.