Oh god what have I done

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Asbestos, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

I was so excited to clean off my m44 last week I was using break cleaner and I guess i forgot what i was doing and i got some on the paint, this was the reason this m44 stood out to me and bought it, I cant get a good picture to show the "damage" but i just felt so stupid and angry i just put my m44 in a closet and pretended that i did not do something so stupid. I share my mistake in hopes that if anyone thinks is a good idea if i were to re touch up the paint? I dont know if thats just blasphemy but would it be a good idea.
    It does not look bad here but some of the soviet union chrest has been whiped out and a lot of the date has been removed I cant get a picture to show all of the damage.
    [​IMG]

2. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

I use A Good o'le Crayon...It Does A Good Job...

3. jacksknight

jacksknight G&G Newbie

until the rifle gets hot and it melts. I would use a good enamel paint to fix it. get some model car paint it dries very hard and looks close to the same.

4. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

It Hasn't melted on me Yet...

5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I actually used White Out liquid paper.

6. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a Mosin, it will handle it. Just don't get any brake cleaner on the stock, then you might be asking for trouble.

7. Asbestos

Asbestos G&G Regular

I am going to try the hobby paint i think it will look the best, idk how a crayon will work lol and liquid white out paper might be a little difficult to use.

8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Why worry about it ?? Its just there as a highlighter for taking pics and making it easier to see.

9. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

I use white out also . Be sure you have a wet wipe handy apply and wipe apply and wipe if you let it dry before you try to remove the excess it is a pain in the 6 .

10. I never use brake cleaner on my rifles and never had a problem with any paint being removed.

11. I was using Gun Scrubber on my Ruger MKIII once and melted the grips. I guess we all get a case of dumb butt once in a while.

Michael

12. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I use Laquer sticks from Brownells

[​IMG]

It hardens up and stays put.

13. I use blackboard chalk. It stays on long enough to take pics, then when you shoot, it goes away.

14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    People who restore military vehicles use the appropriate color automobile enamel paints to fill in stamped lettering on dashboards and the like. As I remember it, you dab it in as neatly as possible, wipe of any overflow at once with a clean, dry cloth, wait a minute, and then wipe the surface with a rag lightly moistened with paint thinner to pick up any trace you missed. Once the enamel sets up, it's like a rock.