Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25 years ago, Kennesaw, Georgia required all landowners to own a gun. The crime rate went down, and remained extremely low throughout the years.

Recently they (the town council) passed a law where they prohibited carrying a gun inside a town park.

The town is claiming to have "rescinded" the law to avoid legal action from the website Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

The town mayor, is claiming they have a right to protect their children. Question for this mayor...if someone wanted to commit an act of violence, kidnap or commit a rape; where would they more likely take place? Answer, the place they no guns aren't going to be.

"I think it's important that Georgia gun owners do not need to research the minutiae of local laws when they are traveling around the state," Ed Stone , lawyer for GeorgiaCarry.org, said.

Kennesaw, Georgia was one of my top choices to move once I graduated college. They have broken my heart with the politicians pushing crap like this. I guess, it proves the old saying; "Grass ain't greener on the other side".

Here is a link to the full story.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Man, and here I thought they could start spreading their "genius" out to neighboring cities, then counties, then states....

Guess that was just a pipe-dream. *sigh* :sad2:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
With the exception of all the liberals, WA is pretty good for gun laws. We're a shall-issue state (I believe the first) and 'nominally' open carry-legal; e.g. there's no law against it, the state constitution affirms Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and there are already a few local PD's that have issued training bulletins regarding its legality (Federal Way being the most prominent).

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Then my question is if the State is issuing the CCW permit, municipalities do not have the authority to limit nor forbid the lawful carry under State law... So whats the problem?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Then my question is if the State is issuing the CCW permit, municipalities do not have the authority to limit nor forbid the lawful carry under State law... So whats the problem?
Many states do allow cities and municipalities to make those laws.

In WA state, though, we have what's known as "State Preemption" for firearms laws on the books (since the late 1980's) which states that any laws more restrictive or harsher in punishment than the state laws are "preempted and repealed", making most local laws null-and-void. Unfortunately, many, many PD's still don't know about it (after 20 years!) and still try to enforce their superiority as local PD's on the populace like we're moronic sheep.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Most states have preemptive power UNLESS their states constituitions grant superior power to counties and municipalities. Common concept of law is Federal trumps state, state trumps county or local law...

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
you can carry anywhere except government buildings and bars with a ga ccp
i have one .

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I can carry darn nears anywheres with some minor restrictions (which the state is thinking of changing) I can carry in a bar or pub as long as they have a 51% or less placard displayed, I can carry into a bank etc etc. The right to carry has many responsibilites associated with it not the least of which is as I am certain others here licensed to carry will agree with me. When armed you have the power of life or death in your hands, that awesome responsibility makes you more cautious in your dealings with others, more polite in your interactions with others and more aware that life is fragile and all you want is to preserve your own.
We carry out of worry that in todays world law enforcement will never reach us in time (in fact the U.S. Supreme court held that LE is NOT see that? NOT responsible for the protection of the "Individual" citizen). So you figure the odds and come to you own conclusions. None of us here ever WANT to have to use deadly force, we prepare for it, we try to follow all the rules and laws. But still deep in our hearts we despise the very notion of HAVING to take anothers life in defense of our own or anothers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can carry anywhere except government buildings and bars with a ga ccp
i have one .
knightRider, I don't mean to offend you, but you are absolutely wrong. Turn over your GFL and read the back. It should say:
GA Code 16-11-127 said:
16-11-127.
(a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense.
(b) For the purpose of this Code section, 'public gathering' shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.
(c) This Code section shall not apply to competitors participating in organized sport shooting events. Law enforcement officers, peace officers retired from state or federal law enforcement agencies, judges, magistrates, solicitors-general, and district attorneys may carry pistols in publicly owned or operated buildings.
(d) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering.

That means that you were correct in that you cannot carry in bars or public buildings, but that you also cannot carry at restaurants that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, Braves games, political rallies, libraries, etc.

You should also know that carrying at a bus stop, while on airport property, at a train station, or while on any public transportation is considered hijacking, a felony, and is punishable by 10 years in prison. If you'd like to read up on the laws more, I'd highly recommend the resources at georgiapacking.org, especially their forums, where I read this thread: Firearm Discussion :: View topic - Kennesaw, You Are Breaking My Heart

·
Registered
12 Posts
ccw

you better know the laws of you state very well, as you can get in a lot of trouble for carrying in a restricted place, read up, it is to your advantage

1 - 12 of 12 Posts