Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to develop a safe modern revolver rifle, I was directed to examine the Nagant revolver, which avoids flash at the front of the cylinder by moving the cylinder forward and putting a blonk behind the cartridge.

Well, part of the Nagant's system is the cartridge with a bullet that doesn't extend beyond the case, allowing the case to seal the gap when the cylinder moves forward. So you couldn't use this on just any cartridge, but there is the Nagant revolver.

So...

I'm thinking of getting a Nagant revolver, turning a rifle length barrel for it, and giving it a rifle stock. It would mainly be used the way most of our guns are used - recreational shooting at paper targets. Although I'm sure it would be good for varmints at short range, and perhaps a mildly decent hunting load may be possible using heavy bullets and slow burning powders.

This would also be a stepping stone towards futher projects of this nature.

Why? Somehow, I really like the idea of having a rifle that fires a shot for every pull of the trigger without an autoloading system. In PA, one can't use semi-autos for hunting, so a revolver rifle would be the fastest repeating arm we could use. And while even the best hunting load would probably be a poor choice for deer, it would actually be legal.

So what say ye to that me hearties, eh?

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Of course, you won't get a shot for every pull of the trigger unless you either shoot it single-action (awkward for a rifle), or haul hard enough on the trigger to use it double-action, which could play hob with accuracy.

The original loads were pretty wimpy, even the military ones. but the revolver itself looks like a pretty stout design; think you could safely beef the load up enough for hunting?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I think that idea rules. Do it! And we want LOTS of pics. :)

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The trick would be tokeep the pressures down but consistent. Heavy bullets with slow burning powder would be theway to do it. Just that the powder would have to burn slowly enough while being no less potent.

I don't have any experience with these yet unfortunately - are their DA triggers that bad then? I did assume that on a rifle it would be easier to keep it steady under a heavy trigger.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
They're usually pretty bad. Remember, they're operating that cute cylinder mechanism along with cocking the hammer, when operated double-action style.

But they're dirt cheap; I say get one and play with it. Maybe you can smooth up the action enough to make it reasonable.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have checked one out and I would say that the trigger pull is about equal to the PA-63 DA pull. So yea it's pretty stout. Although in a rifle config. you could deal with it. Also I am sure that you can lighten the pull some. It's definatly a super cool idea. I want to see it done and I am sure soem rounds can be made suitable for hunting medium game.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
You may also want to consider putting something of a forend together for the project. It sounds like a great weapon if it works out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
what does i says to that??

Sounds like an interesting project if its as cheap as some says,what do you have to lose? id like to see that done.
I says run it up the pole n see how it flys me hearty!!n takes lots a pics you scurvy dog!!
:)Regards

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A handguard would go without saying. Heck, if it didn't have a handguard then cylinder flash wouldn't be an issue either. I'd love to examine one in person first though.

Here's a question - there are 32ACP cylinders out there, but does the cylinder seal as well with those, or do they flash?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here's a question - there are 32ACP cylinders out there, but does the cylinder seal as well with those, or do they flash?[/quote]

Yeah they flash gasses out the side with the 32acp cylinder. have one with both cylinder they are cheap to buy but the original ammo is hard to find and exspensive. so got the 32 to plink with. just sits in the gunsafe now.heck if you mesh up the gun you wont be out much.:34:

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That tells me something very important, thanks! It means that you need a cartridge that seals as well as the cylinder locking. So that rules out most shouldered rounds, and others would need a wadcutter type loading.

More affirmation for my idea that this design would be well used for a shotgun with uniform length shells, ie 28ga, 16ga, and 10ga.

Now to convince the wife...

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Now to convince the wife...
Dude, you're a freaking centaur. Centaurs can do whatever they want! :09:

Just kidding man. I really hope you do this, it sounds cool.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That would be a cool project. Colt had one of those a long time ago but that was black powder and single action. Have you thought about a pump action? They can be real fast, even a lever action is quick and either one should get around the semi-auto problem and there wouldn't be a flash problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts