Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up on another site. It was originally from the Columnia Post Dispatch--a pay site so I do not have a link. Perhaps someone can confirm....if true--congratulation Ohio!
Lawmakers may pass conceal-carry bill today; enactment would take 90 days

Qualified Ohioans should be able to carry concealed handguns by summer.

In a historic breakthrough, state legislators and Gov. Bob Taft reached a tentative agreement yesterday on the long-stalled proposal. The measure would allow disclosure of the names of people with permits to carry concealed handguns, solving the last issue blocking enactment of House Bill 12.

Opponents immediately raised the possibility of a statewide November referendum on the bill.

The House, which had wanted to keep the names of permit-holders private, yielded to Taft and the Senate and rescinded its Dec. 10 approval of the bill. The Senate is expected to do likewise today, after which the proposal would be sent back to a House-Senate conference committee and reconsidered by both chambers later in the day.

Taft said he would sign the revised bill if it contained the provision requiring county sheriffs to give the list of permit-holders to journalists who request it in writing. The bill requires sheriffs to maintain such lists.

"At this point, I’m hopeful it would pass," said Taft, who had warned he would veto the bill passed Dec. 10 by the House and Senate because it would have allowed journalists to obtain permit-holders’ names only on a case-bycase basis if they could show it would be in the public interest.

"It would be good to get this bill finally enacted."

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
THAT WOULD MAKE HIM LEGAL

any way its still not a done deal, i bet OAGV has plans to pull the rug out from under it.:mad:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Joe's spent more time in line for this one than some people have spent standing in the ticket line for Stones concert tickets!

I am glad to see another state making good gun laws, don't forget the "bans" all come up for review this year. I WANT MY FLASH SUPPRESSORS BACK !!!!!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
I want open carry for AK's in Ohio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good luck Joe I just hope they have reciprocity in the law so I can carry there of course carry in vehicles is open I don't get that means the gun is exposed everytime you get out and holster it

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
It will pass all the way and I'm willing to take bets. There are 43 states doing it with no problems the courts can prove this so no worry there. It is now just the idiots trying to get money out of it more than anything. Taft said he will pass it now as he knows he will never see another term if he doesn't. Rick B

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Plan on a long haul. Deterants will pop up at the last minute initiated by Anti's. Have perservence.
Fight all those obstacles which weaken the bill or eliminate it's existance.

In MO we had a similar bill pass in early 2003. Anti's dug up more legal obstacles than anyone could imagine. We're hoping that it'll finally be implemented in 2004. Till then the gun lobby is working closely with the state attorney general, Jay Nixon, who is publicly in favor of this bill passing. He says there's no legal basis for the delays it received.

Meantime, CCW applications have been put on hold. Before the legal maneuvering CCW classes were springing up at many sites across the state. Now, there's arguments about what should be included in the course since there wasn't a prescribed course listed in the bill which was passed.

Ox:nod:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Shaun...I'm trying to be patient with this process. Don't have the feeling that I really have a serious need to carry right now, but do want to have the option to carry, and probably will carry, when all the legal maneuvering passes.
I'm studying all the information I can get ahold of now and plan to go ahead and buy a carry handgun and holster, probably within a few weeks.

This thread has been full of really good information. Those of you who carry have been great to share some of your knowledge with those of us who are trying to get ready to do the same.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Shaun...I just checked out the site. It's now bookmarked. Great site. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I was gonna ask how Joe was gonna effectively conceal an AK! :D

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey Joe, we haul AK's and FAL's, 16's and such around in our rifle racks in Ala, it's great to see the looks you get from the libs and anti's! Even complete non-gunners recognize the profile of that AK from all the news and Time mag articles and such! Of couse you have to make sure the 40 rounder hanging in the reciever is empty - not sure about the grey area of loaded or unloaded? To me a full clip and an empty chamber is ready, not loaded. One in the hole - that's loaded.
BUT, the question of what constitutes loaded or unloaded is not an argument you will likely win with the friendly officer who pulled you over to check ya know? If it's hanging there in the rack empty then your simply transporting it.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
SAME HERE IN "GUNTUCKY"

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts