close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Oiling the gas piston and tube?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Although I have never put a light coating of oil on the gas piston and inside the tube of my SKS, thinking it would increase fouling, I was wondering what other thoughts on it are?

Yes? No?

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i say don't besides fouling faster, the oil will effectivly seal the piston to the cylinder wall, there by increasing gas pressure, and the amount of force against the piston.

3. Clean your weapon after every use and the oil won't be a problem. Less friction and less wear. I use Break Free lubricant on mine.

4. Dale-

Just like the M1 Garand, do not oil the gas piston. I believe that they are suppose to be dry as a bone.

5. I don't agree but to each his own. Dale take their advice.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

According to the manuals I have read, the gas piston is supposed to be dry. Just wipe off the carbon after each session is all that's needed.

7. Thanks all.

My personal option is not to oil.

One thing I noticed after firing the gun this weekend was the unusually great amount of fouling even after a minimal number of firings.

I contribute it to the El Cheapo ammo I was firing. Plus I had a good handful of unknowns (shiny copper casings) that I 'unloaded' after I sighted the scope in.

I can only imagine the amount of fouling that might have been if I had oil the piston and rod.

Perhaps one day when I go back to the range I might take the SKS and fire X number of rounds through it with a dry system and then the same amount with an oiled system and see the difference.

Once again guys...thanks.

8. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

alan c. , gunsmith extraordinaire!:target: :nod: :rolleyes:

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

The old Chinese ammo used to REALLY foul up the gas tube/piston!! Used to shoot cases of that steel-core stuff on the weekends. If only I could do it over again (sigh).........

:nod:

10. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

When I got my first SKS (a Norinco) I used to grease the gas piston. It never had a problem, but was very messy to clean. Still, it kept it lubed better than oil, as the oil would blow out the vents quickly. Then I read about keeping it dry. My Yugo has always been kept dry in the gas tube/piston, and cleanup is much easier - not nearly as much gunk. I get a little carbon buildup on the front of the piston, but a swipe with fine steel wool takes it right off.

11. NRA. Whatever--I use a light lubricant on piston to reduce wear on the gas tube wall. I have never had a problem with it. NRA actually I do work on my own firearms and it's probabably better than most gunsmiths. I know run your vehicle without oil and see how long it lasts. You AR guys--oil or no oil on rings?

12. Gotham city--no dude wrong state.

13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Don't be so chitty alan! :D

14. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    alan c. - The general rule for me has been: do not oil the gas piston (Garand, FN-49, FN-FAL, M14/M1A, SKS, or AK). Now the mouse gun is different, the rings get oil.

I have seen flames shooting out of the holes on an AK, one day at the range, and told the guy he was not doing himself any favors, and could have problems because the gas piston was designed to run dry. He said his gunsmith told him the same thing, because it could increase the pressure enough to blow the gas system apart.

On the AR-15 the rings are further from the hottest gasses, and besides they are in the bolt behind the bullet. It never made sense to me to put the super hot gasses back there anyhow (DON'T BLAME ME FOR THAT!)

I like the gas system on the FN-49, (almost the same as the FN-FAL; both designed by Saive at FN), and it definitely goes the route, DRY.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2002
  15. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The AR18 and Bushpup solve the problem very neatly. As for the SKS, the "Dry Look" is in. Lots easier to keep clean.

16. Thanks Gyrene--I guess it's not to late to teach an old dog a new trick. Dry it is.

17. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Book says no lubrication at all,piston chromed,replacement american piston stainless steel,too bad tube not protected,but oh well,that's why we clean and the fit is pretty sloppy anyway.:nod: :nod: :confused: