OK.....What makes a Mosin a Mosin?

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Alan Duke, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Evangelist

I don't know much about Mosin's.........yet.....so don't flame me please. I thought a Mosin was a military Russian made rifle, a clip/magazine fed bolt action from about the pre 60's era. I told a friend about the German Mauser from '42 I have and said "Oh....you have a Mosin!".

I humbly ask for a def. of a Mosin.

Let the Ribbing begin on my lack of knowledge.

BTW.......I have a line on a M44 that looks super clean for $125 I think it fits the Mosin criteria.

2. A "Mosin" is a Mosin Nagant designed in 1891 by Sergei Mosin and Leon Nagant. A Mauser is a Mauser, a Mosin Nagant is a Mosin Nagant....two completely different rifles.

3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

My friend, a mauser and a mosin are two different rifles. Mosins were Russian made from rifles made in russia. Great solid rifles easy to operate and reliable. Simple design and rugged. MUCH different rifles from the intrepid mauser. Mausers are great rifles proven and reliable but are not Mosins. AND are not to be had for 90 bucks!

4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

And yes Alan a M44 is a Mosin Nagant. Sounds like you friend was a little confused about Mosins and Mausers.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Evangelist

I thought I had an idea of what they were....guess I was in the ballpark at least. I need to check on the M44, and see if I can still get it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

If the M44 is in good shape that is a good price. Most I see now are $150.00 or more unless they are pretty rough.

7. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

Right on man the M44 is next on my list but they are not nearly as easy to find as the 91/30's at least not in my neck of the woods.

8. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Evangelist

I'll try and check this weekend to see if it is still there....funds are tight right now.

Am I going to get Mosinitis from this?

If so ......is there a cure?

9. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Sure there is, but it's complex and involves a C&R license and a credit card...:D

10. You might get Mosinitis but the only cure is to buy more. :wink1:

11. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

What makes a Mosin a Mosin?

The ability to...
    kill anything with the pure muzzle blast and noise
    light the grass on fire when fired from the prone position
    pole vault when the bayonet is attached
    give AR owners feelings of inadequacy
    draw shocked looks from shooters 4 points over from the blast
    convert the modest owner into a mosin fanatic (aka mosinitis)
    magically multiply in your gun safe
    create cravings for cosmoline

Any questions?

12. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Evangelist

Thats not a cure.....thats an addiction.....LOL

13. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Evangelist

So.....with the divorce coming I should pass right?........If it is THAT addicting. Light hearted LOL.

14. Amen.... followed by an acute case of Cosmonia.. The later is an addiction that causes cravings for a new gun to clean.

Seeya
    Mark

15. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Evangelist

Mark.....I just had parts layered in cosmoline yesterday to ship out....I don't think I know what I am in for if I have to take apart a milsurp to remove it...LOL

16. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Yea, there's no cure. But if you can swing that M44, that sounds like a very good price regardless of year for the price. If it's got a good bore, it ought to be a good shooter. When you get it, just don't forget to shoot it with the bayonet extended. If it's not extended, POA and POI will probably be off.

Mosins and Mausers are very different guns. However, both sides used eachother's guns to a limited extent in both wars. The Russians did capture a great many Mausers at the end of the war, hence the Russian Capture (RC) Mausers. I have one. Whatever German had it must not have shot it. Got RC'd and the bore is just amazing. Bolt isn't matching.

But you're gonna love the Mosins. They are great and robust rifles, and a blast to shoot, LITERALLY!

17. Alan Duke

Alan Duke G&G Evangelist