close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ok WHAT PART OF SECRET CONFUSES PEOPLE?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I feel like Columbo...excuse me sir I dont mean to keep asking the same questions (pause and idg into trench coat pocket for a pen and paper)...but if your afraid that therrorist may want to get a hold of nuclear material to make a "dirty bomb" then why are you putting a F$%^& MAP OF WERE IT IS, How and were it will be traveling!!!!! Then near the end mention HOW MUCH IS CURRENTLY STORED AT EACH SITE?????????? I mean maybe you should I dont know maybe like my wife says "keep it under your hat". At this point under the laws govenring stupidy Columbo should be legaly requird to shoot the person who released this stuff. But hay maybe I just dont understand the world...

The artical has a MAP SHOWING THE ROUTS...I'll paste the link.

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/localstoryA21419A.htm

Jun 10, 11:32 PM

Nuclear waste may pass through Brevard

Possible shipments on I-95, railway worry some residents

By Jim Waymer
    FLORIDA TODAY

MELBOURNE -- Valerie Chapman sleeps fine through the noise. But the thought of nuclear waste roaring past her home on Legendary Lane might bring a few restless nights.

"What if it leaks on the way?" Chapman asked. Federal officials say it won't. They say moving nuclear waste by train and truck from Florida to Yucca Mountain, Nev., will be safe.

Within eight years, high-level radioactive waste could begin passing through Brevard County via Interstate 95 and the Florida East Coast Railway. It could pass within a mile of 190,000 Brevard County residents who live that close to the interstate or, in Chapman's case, the railroad.

The routes are among several potential pathways the Department of Energy has identified for radioactive waste from two nuclear power plants south of Brevard. Florida Power and Light Co. operates nuclear plants in St. Lucie County and near Miami.

The proposed routes appear in the back appendixes of a Department of Energy study that examines the nationwide environmental impact of storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain.

A nonprofit group in Washington, D.C., will make available today a Web site -- http://mapscience.org --where people can find out how close they live to the proposed routes.

"We want there to be a full consideration of the public's views on this," said Ken Cook, president of the Environmental Working Group, which created the site.

On June 5, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee voted to approve Yucca Mountain as a nuclear waste storage site, overriding a veto of Nevada Gov. Kenny Guinn. The issue next moves to the Senate floor. A vote is expected in July.

"We want the Senate to vote this down now and send it back to DOE (Department of Energy) and say, 'You need to level with the American people and tell them where these routes are,' " Cook said.

The general public should have no reason to worry about spills, said Rachel Scott, spokeswoman for FPL.

"In the nuclear industry, there has never been a death from a nuclear power plant in this country. There has never even been a death or injury from radiation release," Scott said. "There has not been any type of radioactive release with any of those shipments."

The waste would be transported in concrete and steel casks that can sustain heavy impacts, Scott said.

FPL's two-unit, 1,678-megawatt St. Lucie plant near Fort Pierce and Stuart is 50 miles from Brevard. There are 800 metric tons of uranium stored on the site. There is room for another 373 tons, Scott said.

At the 1,386-megawatt Turkey Point plant -- 25 miles south of Miami -- there are 804 metric tons of uranium and room for another 399 tons.

A third nuclear plant is in Crystal River, southwest of Ocala.

The government wants to bury 77,000 tons of nuclear waste in Yucca Mountain from nuclear power plants and bomb factories. That waste is stored at 131 locations.

Currently, most of the spent fuel is kept at nuclear plants in steel-lined cooling pools, designed to hold only a few years of output from reactors.

There already are about 100 shipments of low-level radioactive waste each year along Florida's rails and highways, said Bill Passetti, bureau chief for Florida Health Department's Bureau of Radiation Control. Those shipments include the gloves, clothing and other materials used at nuclear plants, Passetti said.

"They've never had any serious radiation releases from any of these types of shipments," Passetti said.

Nonetheless, he said his department will undergo additional training from the Department of Energy on how to respond to radiation spills.

"We would respond to it like we would any other radiation incident or accident," Passetti said.

He said he has no worries about the waste.

"It's always a debate: What's the best way to go?" Passetti said. "From what I'm aware of, the casks are very safe and the transportation record is very safe, as far as moving spent fuel."

But Martha Hengehold's Sweetwood Estates home in Melbourne is close to one of the proposed rail routes, so she worries about potential train wrecks.

"It doesn't sound too good to me, with the way the trains are crashing," Hengehold said. "They should allow the public to vote on whether they want nuclear waste going up and down the train tracks."

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Anyone up for a road trip?Can I borrow someones truck with an extended bed.

Ok try to get thesacasm there...

3. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

Can you say - "Asking for it"!

4. Let's play 'bait and switch"....announce where it'll be...wait for them to show up and blow the living hello outta them....fer sure.

5. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

careful with the statement lieberman wants to be the thought police

6. This is just what they need.
    I quite a job in a hospital security dept. when the powers that be put up the new web sight. with of all things a map of the whole darn hospital made from the blue prints of the place with some lines erased. this was just about a week after oklahoma city and the FBI releasing its report about the largest malitia training center in the US was in central PA. less than an hour drive from here. They said who would bomb us noone has ever even heard of us. I asked, (as I turned in my two week notice) how many folks around here do you think ever heard of oklahoma city?
    We as acountry have let our guard down and have given up to much of our privacy already that stuff like this doesn't even ring bells much less set off alarms.

7. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Dale,I think your plan has merit,wish we had the fortitude to impliment it!:nod: :nod: :nod: :assult: