Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend there is a gun show in my area (Topeka, for those in Kansas), My fiance' has become extremely interested in shooting and learning more about firearms. She wants her own handgun, I've suggested a revolver simply due to the fact there are less parts for her to have to deal with and won't have to worry about racking a slide as she has shoulder issues. She is also a bit recoil sensitive, any suggestions what she should look for? I've suggested a .357 for the fact that they tend to be heavier and she can shoot .38 special ammo through it. She is not a small woman she's approx 5'10 and is well built. Looking for some ideas, am not 100% against autos. Not able to spend a whole lot either, maybe $250-300, we're looking for a used not abused one. any help will be greatly appreciated. I figured getting some input from other female shooters would be more beneficial than picking her gun out myself :) .

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
A revolver is simplest. If it's just for shooting and such, they're fine. My gf wants a pistol and isn't overly fond of revolvers, but she has a hard time with most slides on semi-autos, so she'll probably end up with a revolver to carry. Most full size 9mm pistols are relatively easy to charge because of the ratio of recoil spring strength to available area to grab. If it's just for range shooting, they will work well also. If there's any chance she'll be carrying the pistol concealed, you'll want something more along the lines of a Sig P238 in auto because of the ease of charging, or a revolver of some sort.

I'm not a woman like you want, but I've been mulling over this same thing with my gf for a couple years now.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I also am not a woman but I have been through this several times with my wife, best advice I can offer is this: get her to hold as many different models as possible to find out what feels best to her(shooting them would be even better but not always feasible) and then step back and let her decide what is best for her. Advice can be given if asked for but otherwise let her pick out what she wants. It has served me well with the two that wife has picked out. Formal training that you take with her can also be very beneficial.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
It Ain't About Strength

Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

I'm not a Woman either...

Most women, our youth, and men of small stature can rack a slide. See to it that she is exposed to as many models as possible, and if possible hook her up with a skilled instructor that has the ability to teach technique as opposed to muscle if she prefers a semi auto.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
Female-type members had their chance and didn't take it. So.....

Revolver, or semi-auto?

Just because a revolver is functionally "simpler" than a semi-auto, doesn't make it any more of a ladies gun than any other firearm. To assume that a lady must "love guns" before being able to cope with a mechanical safety, is silly. Personal preference is one thing, and gender bias is another. You don't have to love guns in order to carry one, but if you carry without being proficient with your chosen firearm, you're a fool....male or female.

The age-old "trade-off" in handguns is especially applicable to the ladies..... short barrel, light weight, only 5 or 6 rounds equals much more perceived recoil.... longer barrel, more weight equals less recoil, REGARDLESS OF GENDER. That being said, get some training FIRST.... a good instructor will have a variety of guns for you to try out.

Once proficient with the fundamentals, then anyone can learn to shoot any caliber, as well as learn to shoot either a revolver, or a semi-auto.

Caliber comes AFTER proficiency in the fundamentals. Start with a .22 caliber something. Once a new shooter begins to flinch from shooting a large caliber right away, it's tough to "unlearn" it.

Shop for a firearm just like you shop for shoes.......

Shoes...... when you buy 'em, you try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em..... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to break in the shoes, and your feet.

Guns..... try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em......... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to practice with it, and enhance your ability to use it.....

Buying a handgun simply because someone else has one is just foolish. If there were a "best" handgun, we'd all own it, and the huge selection of handguns to choose from wouldn't exist.

Hey ........

GO SHOPPING

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Cornered Cat - Rack the Slide

Most women, our youth, and men of small stature can rack a slide. .

As seabee scotty can attest to, I am a man of small stature, and I dont know of a firearm that I cant operate or wont shoot. But in my opinion if there is no immediate hurry in getting her a firearm of any kind just try to get her to fire as many as you can . Since it sounds as if she is new to shooting I would start small cal. and work up. Find out what she is most comfortable with. And what she doesnt like. There are so many aspects to firearms that make it a good gun for a person, and not. Like weight. length, size of grips, power........ But even most important is what has already been stated "Technique and training" is of utmost import.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Also not a woman, but my wife is.

My wife loves her full size 38 revolver. She also loves any 1911 in full size and officers styling with stock flat panel grips. She is a big fan of the Star model BM also.

She doesn't like many of the handguns that I own simply because her hands are soft, and they blister and get raw with many handguns. She loves the way they feel, but can not tell how she really likes them until she starts putting rounds down range.

A nice 9mm semi auto can be had in the price range you specified.

Brett

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
If she plans to shoot a great deal, you might want to get her a good semi-auto. If not, get her a good ex-cop gun she can learn centerfire on when she graduates from .22s (don't overlook .38 Special Only guns) to see if she likes shooting centerfire without breaking the bank account.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
I'll add this also....The used gun cases in many stores, and tables at many gun shows are full of trade in guns chosen for a lady by a husband, boy friend, dad, or brother. There is probably an equal number of them that were pushed at a lady by some condescending macho clerk behind the gun counter who was just trying to steer the little lady to a firearm that wasn't "too complicated" for her.

Those 1st guns that turn out to be totally wrong represent a substantial dollar loss when you go to trading them in for what she really needed or wanted.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
This weekend there is a gun show in my area (Topeka, for those in Kansas), My fiance' has become extremely interested in shooting and learning more about firearms. She wants her own handgun, I've suggested a revolver simply due to the fact there are less parts for her to have to deal with and won't have to worry about racking a slide as she has shoulder issues. She is also a bit recoil sensitive, any suggestions what she should look for? I've suggested a .357 for the fact that they tend to be heavier and she can shoot .38 special ammo through it. She is not a small woman she's approx 5'10 and is well built. Looking for some ideas, am not 100% against autos. Not able to spend a whole lot either, maybe $250-300, we're looking for a used not abused one. any help will be greatly appreciated. I figured getting some input from other female shooters would be more beneficial than picking her gun out myself :) .
As it appears she is not new to shooting; Let her choose type and caliber.

Men seem to think women cannot handle a semi-auto for some ridiculous reason or another or they're not capable of learning the intricacies of a handgun with more than 2 or 3 moving parts.

Having bad shoulders should not be an issue with a semi-auto if she is taught how to rack the slide correctly.

As for her being recoil sensitive...a .357 revolver, imo, is not the best selection...a medium framed .380 or 9mm would be more realistic...even a 1911 would be a good choice. A semi-auto is heavier and will absorb some of the recoil better than a revolver...and may be a better choice. From my experience in firearms training; women love the 1911...maybe it's the bigger boom (being facetious, ladies...but whatever it is, they love it). I had one lady fall in love with my AutoMag III!

If you have a local shooting range that rents guns...take her there and let her try out a few.

Avoid the Walther PPK/S, it has sharp edges around the grip area and back-strap making it quite uncomfortable to shoot.

Bottom line...Her gun, Her choice.

BTW, since you are looking at a gun show...don't pay much mind to what the seller tells you...many are accomplished bull-chit artists and will push their junk stuff first.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the responses, good points all. What I was really trying to find out is what some of the ladies on here carry and shoot. My fiance' has become pretty fair with my 10/22, I plan to take her out and let her fire my SKS this weekend but what she wants is her own handgun. Curious as to what is popular with the women here be it wheelgun or semi-auto.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I appreciate all the responses, good points all. What I was really trying to find out is what some of the ladies on here carry and shoot. My fiance' has become pretty fair with my 10/22, I plan to take her out and let her fire my SKS this weekend but what she wants is her own handgun. Curious as to what is popular with the women here be it wheelgun or semi-auto.
We know but since the ladies have apparently all gone shopping we men decided to at least make this thread responsive.

Perhaps you will get some female responses once their money is spent or their credit cards are maxed out.

COME ON, LADIES, A MAN IS ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS...WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH Y'ALL? GEESH!

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I was just waiting to see what kind of answers were gonna come from the xy chromosome set. :D
So far, so good.
They're man-answers...So of course so far, so good...!

Na-na-na-na-nana...LOL

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
COME ON, LADIES, A MAN IS ASKING FOR DIRECTIONS...WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH Y'ALL? GEESH!
Such a rare occurrence, it's hard to recognize it! :D
As was said upthread^, let the lady pick.
Personally, I've shot all platforms in lots of calibers... I prefer a .45 out of steel semi-autos because the bullets are slower moving and bigger...less perceived recoil.
That doesn't mean anyone *else* will feel the same...that's just my experience. I don't like snappy calibers out of little/lightweight frames.
Like Jay says...time for her to go shopping. If you hang with her, just make sure that answers to any questions SHE asked the salespeople are directed back at HER and not the nearest man standing next to her. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Ruger LCR in an iwb holster or her flashbang holster. She is considering a Bodyguard 380 with iwb holster and other carry options.

·
Registered
14,134 Posts
I pretty much only buy Rugers. I wish they were in that price range. A compact .380 will kick the dog crap out of her. 9mm is probably one of your better bets because you can get a heavy enough one that it won't kick much. I have an SR9c and love it. Also have an Ruger SP-101 .327 revolver. I looked at Kahrs and didn't like how it felt holding them. I'd say let her pick them up and see what feels right in her hand. I'll be at the gun show sometime Saturday looking around.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Like Jay says...time for her to go shopping. If you hang with her, just make sure that answers to any questions SHE asked the salespeople are directed back at HER and not the nearest man standing next to her. :rolleyes:
I've had that happen to me a few times when standing near my wife while she shopped. I make it VERY clear to the idiot doing it that neither my wife, nor I, appreciate it...then we leave.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I've had that happen to me a few times when standing near my wife while she shopped. I make it VERY clear to the idiot doing it that neither my wife, nor I, appreciate it...then we leave.
Yep. During one gun show I visited alone, I was at a table and asked a question... the vendor turned to the nearest man standing still (a stranger about five feet away) and directed the answer at him. The man looked at the vendor, looked at me, shrugged and walked off. I said to the vendor, "I don't know who it was you were talking to, but I know it wasn't my money." And I walked away the opposite direction.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for the answers. Thought I'd give the the final verdict. We went to the gun show this past saturday, and looked at a great many handguns. Both revolvers and semi-autos, she narrowed it down to 3 within the first hour we were there. The first she liked was an older surplus Taurus .38 special, was an excellent gun, light single action pull and the DA pull was light as well, I'd say about a 2lb 6oz SA, and maybe a 6 lbs DA. Everything was tight on it where it was supposed to be, and the only wear on the finish was from where it and been drawn and reholstered....A LOT. Anyway, her next like was a Walther PK380, weight was about perfect for her the grip fit like it was meant for her, and it's a light recoiling round, we went to one more table and looked at a ruger P95. She liked it but felt it was a bit big as in heavy for her. She kept asking what I thought and I told my thoughts were secondary as this wasn't for me this was gonna be her baby she needs to find what feels right. She wanted something that wasn't TOO light and something that fit her hand well. She decided the PK380 was what she wanted and that's what we came home with. She loves it we went right out and fired 100 rounds thru it, had a little bit of an issue with malfunctioning when she shot it, due I think largly to her needing to work on her grip she let me fire a few mags thru it and I didn't experience a single malfunction. Nice little pistol over all. Thanks again for all the help. BTW I let her shoot my SKS one shot was enough for her, she'll stick to her .380. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts