Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Wonderment :)
35,596 Posts
ka5siw: Sir; I know nothing. I too have an “Old Hickory” that I’m exploring its history

Augustus Frederick Shapleigh was born in 1810 and was employed in a retail hardware store at the tender age of 14.
Edward Campbell (“EC”) Simmons, born -in 1839, was employed in a wholesale hardware store at the age of 17. The story of the achievements of these two hardware clerks reads like a romance.
Young Shapleigh, as Junior Partner of Rogers Bros. & Company, wholesale hardware dealers in Philadelphia, brought to St. Louis, in 1843, a sufficient stock to open a branch of that company under the name of Rogers, Shapleigh & Company. In 1847, the firm became Shapleigh, Day & Company, continuing until 1863, when Mr. Day retired and the firm became A. F. Shapleigh & Company.
In 1846, Mr. Simmons' parents moved to St. Louis, he being a lad of seven. At 17, he was employed by Child Pratt & Company, wholesale hardware. In 1859, he went to work for Wilson, Levering & Waters. He became a partner in that firm six years later, after the death and retirement of other members of the firm, he reorganized in 1869 as E. C. Simmons & Company.
In 1864, the Shapleigh firm adopted DIAMOND EDGE as the brand for a line of superior tools and cutlery, which immediately became popular with the trade they served.
In 1870, the Simmons firm chose KEEN KUTTER as their brand for a line of high grade tools and cutlery.
There being no laws whereby these brands could be trademarked, both firms were compelled to await the action of Congress before application for registration could be filed. The slogan, "Diamond Edge is a Quality Pledge", is said to have first been used in 1909. Diamond Edge tools were the first line of edge tools (knives, razors, axes, cutlery, etc.) in the United States to be covered by a jobbers trademark.
Shapleigh's first catalog, a small paper-backed price book containing no illustrations, was issued in 1853.

·
35,596 Posts
interesting: I’ve done something 😜

ka5siw: Sir; this is mine. I’ve played with sharpening 🤓. It is now kinda dangerously sharp 😜

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,925 Posts
Was this company bought by Ontario knife?
Old Hickory is one of the brand names that Ontario Knife Co. markets some of their products under from what I can find online.
Such as this link.

·
35,596 Posts
ChaZam: Sir; seems very similar to mine. If memory serves. I found this in an old warehouse junk. Maybe 20-30yrs ago. Blade had notches and chips. I’ve used it as a scraping tool. Deciding last week (found in the bottom of my file drawer) to see if I could accomplish an edge.
I flattened the edge. All chips gone Proceeding to file, buff, strop. The best edge I’ve ever accomplished.
Very exciting for someone whom has messed up lots of edges 😜.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,211 Posts
I just checked. Seems Old Hickory knives are still being manufactured in Upstate New York.

My experience with them (a friend of mine has a couple, and can't sharpen knives worth a hoot; when I stayed with her while waiting for a ship, one of the first things I always did was sharpen all the kitchen knives so I could cook with them) is it takes awhile to get an edge on an Old Hickory, but once you attain that it will hold the edge for a good long time.

·
Premium Member
10,252 Posts
I have at least a few of these knives myself. One has never been used since I bought it many years ago and wrapped in cardboard. The blades are high carbon steel so if you ever store them they must have oil or grease on blades to stop rust. My parents that are long gone had these Old Hickory butcher knives as we called them as a kid. The OP has an older one for sure and it looks like a Boning Knife to me. Look at the length and the curve of the blade. I dont think a fillet knife as blade is too thick

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
That's all I use is Old Hickory knives in the kitchen other than the knife I made and the one a great uncle made from a crosscut saw blade. They were good enough for all my grandparents and my parents, so they are good enough for me.

·
35,596 Posts
The issue I’m now having 🤓. I’ve kept it in my tool box file drawer 🥸
always so very dull.
Now; really; scary sharp 😜

I haven’t any place to keep it
I don’t have any safe place to keep 😂

😝

·
The outer edge of civilization
15,738 Posts
always so very dull.

😝
I'll keep it safe for you! 😉

·
Premium Member
26,925 Posts
always so very dull.

😝
Craig, get a magnetic strip like this if you don't have a knife block with a space for it. These are available in various lengths, some also have hooks, and the vary from just a few bucks to rather high dollar versions. They are perfect for mounting on a wall, or the end of a cabinet, or inside a pantry door where they are accessible but not by the little kids, etc...

·
35,596 Posts
ncnascarlady: Ma’am; NO 🧐. You cannot accidentally carve up “Benji“ 😜
when said blade 😂 slips off the counter.

Rarely. Will I ever exaggerate. ( well may-be sometimes). This this is beyond anything I’ve personally seen 😜

ChaZam: Sir; I do have something like those magnet strips.
Yes. I’ve thought; just maybe I could hang it

I can only imagine a real butcher wielding this thing
If all Old Hickory have this same composition metals
Its hard to imagine needing more “cutters”

·
The outer edge of civilization
15,738 Posts
But but but...

I promise I won't carve Benjen up with it!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
ncnascarlady: Ma’am; NO 🧐. You cannot accidentally carve up “Benji“ 😜
when said blade 😂 slips off the counter.

Rarely. Will I ever exaggerate. ( well may-be sometimes). This this is beyond anything I’ve personally seen 😜

ChaZam: Sir; I do have something like those magnet strips.
Yes. I’ve thought; just maybe I could hang it

I can only imagine a real butcher wielding this thing
If all Old Hickory have this same composition metals
Its hard to imagine needing more “cutters”
I have one that I have used professionally and still use for most of my home chores. The wood handles are mostly frowned upon in the commercial sector these days.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I have a couple of newer "old hickory" knives and I love them. They are sharp and have stayed sharp since I bought them at least 3 years ago. I need to run all my knives through my worx ken onion sharpener. Now I have something else I need to do this snowmaggedon weekend....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts