Old cap lock rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jonathan Gormley, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I had to look it up. The Saf-T Unloader may be the one I was thinking of. It has adapters for a variety of different nipples. It appears to be discontinued.

I was not able to locate a different option that isn't just a rubber tip to force air through the hole.
    https://www.chuckhawks.com/saf-t_unloader.htm

ChaZam likes this.
  2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

that engraving is of a bird sitting on the end of the guy's barrel.
    it's a good luck symbol, and a reminder.

jimkim and ChaZam like this.

3. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Thanks. Looks like they have been discontinued. I did order the little C02 bicycle/ball inflator. I am sure I can make an adapter but it also will take many of the regular air tool accessories I have. We have a half dozen C02 guns around here including one of those 6 round burst ones that use a lot of C02 and order them in lots of 50. Looks like an ez and cheap way to clean off the keyboards and electronics also.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/153682845555

Would be nice to have a nice air blower when on those week long hunting trips in the boonies for both black powder and gun season. EZ way to clean off the dusty scopes, water and other debris that gets on a gun or spotting scopes, lazers etc. I do use the rubber tip on the air compressor for cleaning most guns, just too easy to get high pressure down into those nooks and crannies. No gun can be too clean. Thanks for the tip.

Dutch likes this.
  4. Jonathan Gormley

Jonathan Gormley G&G Newbie

Midlands
    So today the lady I brought the gun from gave me a few more items one very unusual knife any thoughts

Attached Files:

Ranger4, Dutch and ChaZam like this.
  5. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looks like an early knife and fork set like the ones used now-a-days for backpacking/bug out.

ChaZam likes this.
  6. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I don't know for sure, but my guess is the fork and knife set is 20'th century Indian. Looks like wood and brass. It's a neat piece.

Huey Rider and Jaison like this.
  7. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just bought my BIL a similar set for his birthday. Sort of a conversation piece. Definitely made in India- at least his was. Even had cosmoline in it.

Dutch likes this.
  8. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Neat! They make interesting art for the mantel or wherever.

Jaison likes this.
  9. Jonathan Gormley

Jonathan Gormley G&G Newbie

Midlands
    Interesting I will look into it more just wish I had known this woman a few more years earlier has her late husband had 2or 3 sets of duelling pistols which she believes as now gone

10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Whenever I go into an antique shop and they have a muzzleloader hanging up for sale, I always take it down, pull the ramrod, and drop it down the barrel. About half the time, instead of hitting the base and bouncing with a ping, it does not go all the way down and lands with a thud, meaning there is a charge in the barrel. I then explain to the shop owner that he/she has a gun with a live load in it and they need to take it to the local gun shop and have the gunsmith deal with it before she puts it back out for sale again.

I've made an awful lot of antique dealers turn white as they realize they have had a gun with a live charge in it out where anyone could have fired it. Haven't had any faint yet, but it's been close a couple of times. Gun folks KNOW to check a firearm to confirm it's not loaded. Antique dealers should, but mostly don't.

Huey Rider and Ranger4 like this.
  11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    You might try the canned air computer techs use for cleaning keyboards and dust bunnies out of tower computers. It won't blow a bullet and a charge out of the barrel, but it works just fine for blowing dust off lenses and will reach a lot of grooves and spots you can't get to with Q-tips.

Ranger4 likes this.