Old gun prices/catalogs?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tkline, Sep 7, 2010.

1. tkline

tkline G&G Newbie

Hi there

I've been digging around the web looking for info and can't find it. I found this forum while googling and you guys all seem to know what you're talking about so I thought I would try asking here.

Long story short, I'm designing a game with an "old west" setting. I'm trying to find at least semi-accurate prices (ballpark figure) for what some guns might have cost back in, say, the late 1800's? Like, what did your average pistol, rilfe and/or shotgun cost back then?

Anyone have any ideas or can point me toward a site where I might be able to find out?

Thanks in advance :)

Tim

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Most guns ran less than 20 dollars back then...Look up some history sites on Colt Revolvers and Winchester Rifles, Remington Revolvers , etc...
    An old Sears Catalog has some good prices of guns back in the early 1900's before the Depression as the Gold Standard was 28-35 dollars an ounce from the 1800's till then.

3. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

You should be able to find lots of information on the revolvers that were manufactured by Colt up here in New Haven Conneticut. There were one of the most popular revolvers at the time.

Michael

4. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Welcome to G&G.

Go to a library and look up old newspapers, magazines, from that time period.