Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an old Kentucky rifle today. It's pretty doggone rough. but what intrigued me was the stamping on the barrel--there are some letters and symbols and then Rockbridge in very crude and uneven lettering. Can anyone tell me if this is Rockbridge County, Virginia? There does appear to be a V and an A before the Rockbridge. Any info. on this gun would be sincerely appreciated!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,896 Posts
It says Rockingham on it and that is a Virginia rifle as far as I can see. I have seen a few in better condition with the same style patchbox on the stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It says Rockingham on it and that is a Virginia rifle as far as I can see. I have seen a few in better condition with the same style patchbox on the stock.
Thank you VERY MUCH rando. Any idea of the value of one in this shape, or are values not discussed on this forum? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Calling all long rifles Ky rifles is likely not the origin. Most rifles on the early Frontier originated in Pennsylvania. Your specimen is very interesting. By the time Virginia was expanding the Pennsylvania gun market was slumping. Many gunsmith moved from the Penn state to Virginia. The early Virginia rifles were not different from other Pennsylvania rifles. However with the war with England the rifles made in Virginia began to reflect a Militia styling. Sling swivels on trigger guards and thick wristed stocks. Nice find, don't repair it. :usa2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calling all long rifles Ky rifles is likely not the origin. Most rifles on the early Frontier originated in Pennsylvania. Your specimen is very interesting. By the time Virginia was expanding the Pennsylvania gun market was slumping. Many gunsmith moved from the Penn state to Virginia. The early Virginia rifles were not different from other Pennsylvania rifles. However with the war with England the rifles made in Virginia began to reflect a Militia styling. Sling swivels on trigger guards and thick wristed stocks. Nice find, don't repair it. :usa2:
Thank you so much for enlightening me about this old gun--I am thrilled to hear that it may have been made right here in Virginia. We are only about 50 or so miles from Rockingham county.

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
Thank you so much for enlightening me about this old gun--I am thrilled to hear that it may have been made right here in Virginia. We are only about 50 or so miles from Rockingham county.
I own an early Virginia rifle made by Jack Garner a master builder. He is a modern historical recreator. The early Virginia "flinters" design says a lot about the Southern Frontier of the past. :usa2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought an old Kentucky rifle today. It's pretty doggone rough. but what intrigued me was the stamping on the barrel--there are some letters and symbols and then Rockbridge in very crude and uneven lettering. Can anyone tell me if this is Rockbridge County, Virginia? There does appear to be a V and an A before the Rockbridge. Any info. on this gun would be sincerely appreciated!
Sent you a PM.

Thanks,
Garrett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts