Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI folks:

Newbie here. I am looking at a Rossi .38 special, black metal finish with walnut or rosewood grips. In unfired condition. Owner says it may be from the early 30s or 40s. Serial Number located on the bottom of the grips (the strip of metal separating the two grips) is clearly marked "234519".

Any idea if this is a vintage revolver? If so, what kind of value might be attached? thanks.

Dr. Z

· Registered
17,233 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to tell that I know of . I doubt that the pistol is that old , more than likely from the late 60's up.
If you can open the cylinder , look on the crane for a model number stamp.
That may help with an ID.
Most Early Rossi guns were not expensive but were fairly good quality , the biggest complaint was that the firing pins were too hard and would often break after 4-5 boxes of shells.
They have never gained any resemblance of Collector Status and I have seen them from 50 bucks used to 200 bucks if like new...
Rich

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks! I think I will pass on this one. I already own a mint condition Winchester Model 1892 made in 1909 and the famous Colt .41 Peacemaker from 1891. If this other piece was a real collector, perhaps, but I think I will buy a 1/4 ounce of GOLD instead. Take care.

Dr. Z

· Registered
17,233 Posts
I have a Rossi 22cal, pump from my childhood, has a sn of 806609, how can i find out the date of mfg/age? Cathy
Cathy,
Unfortunately , since they are an imported gun , there is no way to tell.
Rossi name has now been bought out by Taurus , so the older ones are what I call "Pre-Taurus" guns and were imported to the US starting in the early 1960's and you cant get parts thru Taurus/Rossi.

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.