Old Shotgun Shells

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by TJ80, May 13, 2008.

1. TJ80

TJ80 G&G Regular

ok guys i am in need of some advice. about three weeks ago my grandfather passed away and him being the old time farmer that he was he had three guns. the 12ga. and .22 we brought home with us while we were cleaning the house. the .303 is at an uncles. the thing is we found a 25 count box of #4 ACE shotshells that had been purchased for $3.49. now from what limited knowledge i have are shotshells not about a buck a piece now? these shells are very old by my calculations and my father has deemed them not safe. are they safe? can we use them? i personally am not going to take the chance even if they are. my question to you guys (and ladies) is what is the best way to dispose of these shells safetly and quickly? any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Are the shells paper or plastic ? and the cost is not that old for a 25 count box of 12 ga.... if you dont want to shoot them and you dont get a better disposal idea, just take them to your local fire dept those guys always want that stuff ??

3. TJ80

TJ80 G&G Regular

ok the shells are plastic.i was thinking of just taking them to the cop station and letting them do their thing with them

4. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

FWIW, I've fired German surplus ammo dated from the early '30's with no problems at all. Most ammo is very stable unless it has been bouncing around in a toolbox for several years or something similar. If the box is in decent cond. it could also be worth some $$$ on gunbroker, auctionarms, etc.

5. I had some old .303 cordite ammo that shot well kinda good. It worked some of the rounds took a moment to go off. I taught the value of follow through very well. I dont know if it did this when it was new or not so I dont know if that was odd. I did shoot good though it was pretty accurate.

6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Those shotgun shells are not that old and as long as they havent been wet and got rusted around the base They are good...Don't just get rid of ammo as it is going up in value...Shoot Em and have fun...FYI i was paying 3.69 per box last year...
    Rich

7. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

Shoot them. Unless they are heavily corroded, they are fine. Gads, I've fired off shot shells I bought in the late 1970's just a year or two ago.

8. I haven't had any problem shooting old shotgun shells. Matter of fact I've only had old rifle ammo not fire, but not shotgun shells.
    A.H

9. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

I would shoot them also, provided there are no corrosion issues with them. Good stuff for target practice and making noise.

10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Ive got Old Paper shells from the 40's and 50's that will shoot just as good as the day they were made...I just bought a bunch of boxes of "Ted Williams" shells that were sold by Sears and Roebuck back in the 60's and 70's...They shoot just Fine !
    Rich

11. You'll do just fine shooting them shells. Just make sure of no corosion.

12. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

The only one's I'd avoid are the see-through hard plastic shells as I've seen the hulls come apart and lodge in the barrel. I have no problem with regular plastic or paper hull ammo.

13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    as stated before, as long as the bases arent corroded, they are fine. im still shooting 16ga shells from gambles dept store, and they went out of business a long long time ago!

14. TJ80

TJ80 G&G Regular

Thanks for the input. they arre not corroded at the base and im pretty sure that the box just sat on the shelf all its life. it looks brand new.

15. tippmann7

tippmann7 G&G Enthusiast

i got an old .410 from my grandpa and he had 3 boxes of realy old shells for it (not sure exactly how old but there from before i was born,16years ago) and i shot all 3 boxes and every shell was fine. id shoot em

16. TJ80

TJ80 G&G Regular

ok guys you have changed my mind. my dad wants to get both guns professionally stripped cleaned and all that stuff but as soon at i get it back they will be shot

17. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

Whoa.....might want to talk about that as well! I'm not real up on collecting but I understand that refinishing an antique MIGHT severely lower it's value.

Ask Mooseman for a professional answer.

18. tippmann7

tippmann7 G&G Enthusiast

yea i wouldnt do to much to it unless it realy needs it and since it was your grandpas i would try to keep it looking as much as it did when he had it as i could.

19. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Carefully "stripping" them down to parts and cleaning and re-assembling does not hurt the Value as long as they dont mess up the screw slots, etc...
    Stripping the finish and refinishing them cuts the value in half...Less on a collectable gun.
    Rich