Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to see this older pump Crosman at a flea market today. I got a good price and still pumps and holds air. I was interested because it is an older model with the steel barrel and receiver. Newer ones are all plastic. I remember having one with the wooden stock set when younger. This has a plastic stock set on it. Anyone know when these were made? Has no serial number on it
IMGCROSSMAN1.jpg
IMG_CROSSMAN2.jpg
IMG_CROSSMAN3.jpg

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I think I have an old 760 stored in the loft of my reloading shed. Or maybe it was the Daisy equivalent. Put it up there when I got a new Gamo.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I have an old 760 stored in the loft of my reloading shed. Or maybe it was the Daisy equivalent. Put it up there when I got a new Gamo.
Ganny I know the feeling. I have so many pump and break open pellet and BB rifles I am not sure what I have. Some are expensive with hunting scopes. I have taken more varmints and squirrels with a simple cheaper pump than any other ones I use.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
That's identical to the 760's my friends and I had growing up in the mid 70's.

Smooth bore's that held up pretty well, with the weak link being the rod that connects the pump handle to the piston, at least that was what usually failed. The next step up was the 766, which looked like a sporting rifle and had a rifled barrel.

If I remember correctly the biggest competition was the Daisy 880,which looked better but cost a good bit more at the time so we all had Crossman's.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
The Crosman 760 came onto the market in 1964, metal and wood back then. I seem to recall that it was in the 1980s that the forearm and buttstock began being made out of plastic. I still have one or two of them in the attic somewhere that I've acquired here and there.

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
I grew up with one identical to that back in the mid-late 60s. I went hunting with my brother in law and picked off the occasional squirrel with it. You put about 15 pumps on that sucker and it will give you some real good velocity.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I grew up with one identical to that back in the mid-late 60s. I went hunting with my brother in law and picked off the occasional squirrel with it. You put about 15 pumps on that sucker and it will give you some real good velocity.
I am surprised how good the seals are in it for age. I has a lot of air resistance even on first pump. I shot at a target outside last evening and buried the BB,s in a wood backing. I am sure the pellets will work fine also. I put some oil drops in the seals where they tell you to.

·
NOT a new member
1,687 Posts
I bought a new Crosman 766 maybe 10 or so years ago, it came with a little scope but I don't recall the specs on it. Shooting at targets 75-100ft away with pellets(and I have tried several brands) this gun would shoot groups larger than 12" in diameter so I took the scope off thinking that might be the issue, nope, still shoots all over the place. Even up close like 20ft from a target you still get 3 to 4 inch groups. Has Crosman fallen that low to produce such junk.

Back in the later 70's I bought one of the Crosman 38T pellet pistols and still have it like it came in its original box. Unfortunately 20ish years ago I went to plink with it and put a CO2 cylinder in it and before I could get one shot off a seal or something blew out... I just looked and seal kits are available so I will get one coming. This was a great shooting pellet pistol and was just as accurate and powerful as any of the regular BB guns we had growing up.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a new Crosman 766 maybe 10 or so years ago, it came with a little scope but I don't recall the specs on it. Shooting at targets 75-100ft away with pellets(and I have tried several brands) this gun would shoot groups larger than 12" in diameter so I took the scope off thinking that might be the issue, nope, still shoots all over the place. Even up close like 20ft from a target you still get 3 to 4 inch groups. Has Crosman fallen that low to produce such junk.

Back in the later 70's I bought one of the Crosman 38T pellet pistols and still have it like it came in its original box. Unfortunately 20ish years ago I went to plink with it and put a CO2 cylinder in it and before I could get one shot off a seal or something blew out... I just looked and seal kits are available so I will get one coming. This was a great shooting pellet pistol and was just as accurate and powerful as any of the regular BB guns we had growing up.
I have a few newer Daisy and Crosman pump rifles and have plastic barrels with a metal outer shield. How can it shoot accurate at any distance over like 30 feet? I also picked up an older Crosman pump pistol a few years back still in the original box with booklet, oil, and BB,s. I had to get a seal kit for it because would not hold air or compress air. Its amazing that you can get all the seals and parts still from many places. I found Amazon was the cheapest at the time. Was like $7 for seal kit and went up to over $30 at other places for same OEM kit. I have found out also that BB,s are more accurate. Mine shoots pellets also but tend to curve or stray after a short distance. I have many types of pellets also

·
NOT a new member
1,687 Posts
The barrel on this 766 is metal, likely some sort of alloy and it has a liner in it. I just looked at it and the liner stops about 3/4 inch from the end of the barrel. That seems like an odd thing and it might just be the air getting around the pellets or BB's as they get past the end of the liner but before they exit the barrel could be a cause of the large groupings.
Looks like I have a project to make a short liner extension to see if that fixes the 766, it certainly can't hurt it.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Sure looks like a dead ringer a friend had way back. AM quite sure his was a CO-2. Had the name HAHN printed on the receiver. Often jealous as his had more zoom than my Daisy pump.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure looks like a dead ringer a friend had way back. AM quite sure his was a CO-2. Had the name HAHN printed on the receiver. Often jealous as his had more zoom than my Daisy pump.
I have a Daisy which is like new but bought many years ago. It is cheaper made in comparison and has a plastic thin handle for pumping it up. I remember a friend of mine used to keep a pump Crossman in his big garage. He had a lot of squirrels and it would take them out quick. My Daisy takes a back up shot usually

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I've had a couple of those 760 s over the years. great inexpensive pellet guns. I wish they were around when I was a kid. the critters would have caught hell! they are way more powerful than my ole Daisy pump BB gun.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
That's identical to the 760's my friends and I had growing up in the mid 70's.

Smooth bore's that held up pretty well, with the weak link being the rod that connects the pump handle to the piston, at least that was what usually failed. The next step up was the 766, which looked like a sporting rifle and had a rifled barrel.

If I remember correctly the biggest competition was the Daisy 880,which looked better but cost a good bit more at the time so we all had Crossman's.
I still have an old an old variable lever action pump Daisy 880 that I've been dragging around for a lot of years. It has a metal receiver, rifled barrel and plastic furniture on it & it's still running the original seals that still work great thanks to an occasional squirt of WD-40 on them . Unfortunately it's not the most accurate thing around anymore and it shoots all over the damn place . I'd be surprised if I could keep the shots on a pie plate at 30-40 ft. It turns out the rifled barrel is actually a plastic barrel with a press fit stamped metal liner over it so it looks like a metal Barrel .

20180429_231514.jpg 20180429_231503.jpg

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I've had a couple of those 760 s over the years. great inexpensive pellet guns. I wish they were around when I was a kid. the critters would have caught hell! they are way more powerful than my ole Daisy pump BB gun.
Yeah, I never had the Red Ryder lever, I went straight to the Crossman. I think my stinking brother lost the darned thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got my first Crossman 760 Pumpmaster on my 6th birthday. It looked close to yours except it had a different bolt handle, my was a cast curved piece that would fit your finger. It had the plastic stock, and a cover you'd push over to one side on the receiver to load bb's. I used that thing to terrorize the squirrel and rabbits in the wood behind our house. I think 30 feet was a long shot with it. I used bb's mostly, but had the little plastic box of Crossman .177 pellets with the handy built in belt clip on the back. I probly scared more targets away with that rattle of running and hiking back then. But heck I was 6 and my dad didn't hunt. So I had to learn the hard way.

I now use a .22 Springer Ruger Impact or a Benjamin Discovery PCP rifle in .22. Last year I used the Benjamin for my entire squirrel season. I never limited out, but that was more from lack of time than anything. 39 years after my first airgun, buying and trading just about anything I've wanted, and I'm back to using an airgun.

Go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I happened to see this older pump Crosman at a flea market today. I got a good price and still pumps and holds air. I was interested because it is an older model with the steel barrel and receiver. Newer ones are all plastic. I remember having one with the wooden stock set when younger. This has a plastic stock set on it. Anyone know when these were made? Has no serial number on it View attachment 93186 View attachment 93187 View attachment 93188
I recently bought one just like it at a flea market and have it almost completely restored except for the pump cap. I cannot find a replacement pump cap for this year model what ever year that is because it also does not have a serial number. If you have located the pump caps on line please let me know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts