Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this on layaway a couple of months ago and sprung it today.

Almost as old as I am but still a few or several years younger.
I've got a past with the Security Six as a 6"bbl blued one was my first centerfire handgun.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
1,239 Posts
I put this on layaway a couple of months ago and sprung it today.

Almost as old as I am but still a few or several years younger.
I've got a past with the Security Six as a 6"bbl blued one was my first centerfire handgun.
View attachment 180238
That model was my first center fire handgun. Still kicking myself for trading it for a Smith. They are great guns, if they made a new one exactly the same, I would be first in line. LOL I would love to find a nice one. Just do not see them around here, ever.

· Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That model was my first center fire handgun. Still kicking myself for trading it for a Smith. They are great guns, if they made a new one exactly the same, I would be first in line. LOL I would love to find a nice one. Just do not see them around here, ever.
They're kind of rare here also and I agree that about kicking myself. Still wish I had kept mine and the second one that I had gotten which was a 2-3/4" bbl one.
The one that I've been after hss been a snub nosed Ruger Speed Six in stainless steel. But not at the prices I've seen online.
I really agree about wishing Ruger would bring back this gun. Even one similar with the newer grip frame style and set up primarily for concealed carry.

· <------------<<<-
4,670 Posts
There are some Talo exclusives that resemble these older pieces, but they don’t have near the character as these old guns.

Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Font Gun accessory

I myself would love an old Speed Six. As much as I love my S&W PC 19, I still think Ruger has a better DA trigger. My GP does, anyways.

You’re making me want to start looking for one of these 😂

· Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, and although I had a GP-100 and loved it also. That frame size is like carrying around a handgun version of Mike Tyson vs. a handgun version of Bruce Lee.
I just wish they would have a redo. I mean both Colt and S&W have done so off and on. And really with all the CCW permits and Constitutional Carry states out there they are losing a market share. Plus pack/kit guns
They have, maybe still, a 4"bbl SP101 .357 and of course a 22lr.,. But a 5shot 4" while elegant looking is still a 5 shot 4" handgun.
I won't goober up this one to do it but I theory I could round butt this Security Six and have one more round with scant much bulk. I did that with the 2-3/4" one I had.

Hell here's what I'd do if I was Ruger. Come out with a improved security six and call it "The Defender"
Offer it in the following manner:
6-shot .357Magnum
7-shot .327 Federal Magnum
Stainless construction where applicable.
Changeable rubber or aftermarket wood grips.
Sights: 2-Dot Tritium blade front and notch rear. Rear sight driftable for windage.
2-3/3" or 4" barrels. Barrels standard configuration.
Maybe offer a "Woodsman" model with a under lugged barrel and adjustable sights but maybe too much?
But the reality is Ruger ain't gonna be doing that any time soon.
Now if I had the scratch and I surely don't, I'd be buying up all the used Security Six revolvers that show up on the Surplus Market and rework them into something very similar with custom barrels and sight assemblies.

· NOT a new member
1,771 Posts
My first center fire handgun was and still is a stainless 4" security six from the mid 80's. I was on a trip to CA back then and we went to a couple gun shops and rental ranges and two guns I knew I really wanted was a security six and a Browning BDA. At the time the BDA was really out of my price range but had the cash to buy a new Ruger Security six which at the time was under 300 out the door. Sadly the box did not make it back home but the security six still resides in the safe. I also have a GP100 and find the security six a better handling revolver. I never understood why Ruger killed off the Security six series in favor of a more clumsy handling GP100 series.

· Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first center fire handgun was and still is a stainless 4" security six from the mid 80's. I was on a trip to CA back then and we went to a couple gun shops and rental ranges and two guns I knew I really wanted was a security six and a Browning BDA. At the time the BDA was really out of my price range but had the cash to buy a new Ruger Security six which at the time was under 300 out the door. Sadly the box did not make it back home but the security six still resides in the safe. I also have a GP100 and find the security six a better handling revolver. I never understood why Ruger killed off the Security six series in favor of a more clumsy handling GP100 series.
Yeah, If I remember correctly the price "my father and I" paid for my first one was +/-$200 in about 1980/81.

· Registered
113 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ruger handguns, especially the older line, and revolvers. I have a 2-3/4" and 4" SS in the collection, along with a 6" GP100, SP101 and a few others of theirs. They use to be the best priced handguns to buy, quality was good, and they always back their product. They are not so much best price anymore because of their popularity (pretty much in line with the competitors), but I still buy them because they are tough as can be, reliable and backed up for ever. Last Ruger purchase was a Mini 14.
That 4" is a great shooter, I've shot the hell out of it over the years and it just keeps going.

The 2-3/4" is a collectable for me. I purchased it NIB unfired 15 years ago and its still never been shot. The only thing that I've done with it was add a period correct Tyler T grip to it. Its one of two unfired revolvers in my collection, the other is a 45 year old Python

· Registered
26 Posts
I found my Security Six in a small gun shop about 15 years ago. It is blued with a 4” barrel and in fantastic shape. Growing up I shot my father’s Security Six 2 3/4” and figure that is why I had to find one for myself. I would like to add another one to my safe and a friend of mine wants a stainless with a 4” barrel. I haven’t seen one that was in decent shape in many years.

· Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice guns. I've got a 6" that I've had since 1986. How can you tell which series they are?
It's the serial number prefix for example mine is 150-XXXXX. Therefore a 150 series.

· Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I am not mistaken, the grip shape was changed between 150 and 151 prefixes. That is why Security Sixes are divided into 151 and pre-151 prefix groups.
Yep, that was the biggest reason. There was supposed to have been a hue and cry from the gun rag people of the day plus a few regular people that the grip hurt their whittle hands when shooting full power .357 Magnum in it. Well so far only shooting+p .38spl in it it's not been bad. And actually it fits my hand decently. Now that tune might change when I work up some full power.357magnum loads I don't know.
I do know that I had no trouble with the snub nosed version I had around 1999. Big mutant hands I guess

· Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a near complete strip down clean oil and inspect. I don't think it ever really has it done in decades. Found a bit of rust scale under the grips and carefully buffed it off. Then worked more on the stuff on the cylinder and the trigger and hammer. Then added some bluing where I think it was needed, hope to give the hammer and trigger a sort of case hardened look after some wear in...
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel
....maybe.
Couldn't do much about the glare off the hammer hard to tell it's been blued instead of bare steel on the sides now.
I also gently knocked down the square edges along the trigger and raised grooves in the trigger face. Sorry I don't like a trigger face that feels like it's made from a mill file.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts