Older Shotguns and Steel Shot

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Brother Bob, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Alright, before anybody chastises me for this thread, I want you to know that I haven't kept up with this stuff and, I haven't shot my shotguns in at least a decade! Here's the question........ I have a circa 1982-83 Remington 1100 with two barrels. It came with a 3 inch and since it wouldn't eject 2 3/4" bird shot, I also purchased a modified barrel for dove and quail. There wasn't any steel shot around back then, that I can remember. Do I need to replace the barrels for it so I can shoot steel shot? Someone told me I needed to. Help????????

2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

please note your barrels are not for steel shot. This does bring us to the amount of shooting you do with the gun. Steel shot will erode the metal
    in your barrels especially at the choke constriction area. However, this does not mean the relatively few shots we fire each year perhaps at dove, quail, or other small game will wreck your barrels in short order. Of course, if you go through several hundreds of rounds each year that would, to me, call for a new barrel designed for steel shot.

I would not worry about the situation if I did only a small amount of shooting with this gun each year.

However, this is a forum and I respect the views of others.

3. Brother Bob

Oh, I plan on shooting it a lot more. I might need to check into barrels for it, or better yet, buy a new shotgun or two.

4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Hi Brother Bob

Based upon your last post I would recommend trading off the gun and barrels toward a new shotgun designed for steel shot.

Best wishes.

5. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

haha I say use it as an excuse to buy another gun, or gunS lol.

6. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

I say forget the crazies and KEEP the 1100. A 3" steel barrel can be had for less than $230 last I looked. That 1100 that you have used even in not great condition is still worth $400-500. Not to mention they are soft shooting, even mine that I put synthetics on (just couldnt bare the thought of scratching those black walnut engraved stocks, haha). Even really heavy reloads are not bad, plus unlike some semi-auto shottys my 1100 WILL shoot reloads.

Dont do anything crazy, keep the 1100. Or give me a call and I might be able to find her a new home.......;)

7. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Good to hear from you again Brother Bob. I would just look around for another shotgun c. late 80s Browning or Remington made after steel shot was firmly the law for waterfowl. I have an early Browning BPS ('82-83) and I had to later buy a new tube for it that could handle steel shot. You should be able to get a steel shot compatible tube for your Remington 1100. I do not know if the 11-87 tubes are interchangeable though. That might be important to know before you look.

8. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

The 1100 and 11-87 barrels will not interchange, they are shaped different on the breach end, and the gas ports are slightly different.

9. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. I wonder if Remington … or some aftermarket company … ever saw the huge potential market in "steel shot" 1100 barrels after steel shot became law. If not, then Brother Bob might be better off keeping the 1100 as a guest gun for dove shooting and looking for a newer gun for migratory waterfowl.

10. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

Not sure I know that Mossberg builds 870 barrels but dont think they do anything else. Never have seen anything but Remington branded barrels for the 1100. I will do some looking though.

11. Brother Bob

Yeah, if I recall it always was a soft shooter. I'd be wearing a t-shirt and shooting 3in. mags all day without a sore shoulder.
    [​IMG]

12. Brother Bob

Yeah, I'm still kicking buddy. LOL! I guess I better check with Seabeescotty on this one. Maybe he can get me a couple barrels while I buy a couple new shotguns. Just don't tell Mrs. Brother Bob! She has a skillet and knows how to use it!

13. Brother Bob

Used an 870 in the Navy shooting clays off the helo deck. Are they still a good shotgun?

14. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

Who said any thing about getting rid of it?!?

15. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

I might be wrong in saying this, but I'd use the modified barrel with steel shot. I've got a 1970's era Beretta AL2 modified choke 12 gauge and that's my go to waterfowl gun. The steel shot don't constrict in the barrel like lead. A little more open bore in a newer gun should be fine...

16. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Oh, you bet. I think the 870 is about the best pump gun made. They're tough, ergonomic and dependable. We used them in the Navy too. I believe the Navy still has about a "zillion of them" in addition to the newer Mossberg 500-series. We used them in law enforcement too. I liked the Remingtons over the Mossbergs because they had "steel" receivers and were tougher.

17. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Evangelist

I bought my winchester 1200 new back in 1966. I quit hunting back in 1982, and shot steel through it when it first came out with no ill effects. I used that gun exclusively for waterfowl, and didn't see any problems with it.

18. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

Am I wrong? Steel is only required for waterfowl, but he said he was shooting doves and quail. You don't have to use steel on upland birds do you? At least not in my area.

19. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

WHY WORRY ABOUT IT??

Just use Brass game loads ;)

20. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted