Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OMG hailstorm in Australia

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PAPA G, Mar 13, 2018.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

jwrauch, TXplt, ChaZam and 2 others like this.
  2. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

wow! that was pretty bad! I wonder how many ft. lbs. of energy a tennis ball sized chunk of hail has? probably more than some of our smaller pistol bullets.
    jwrauch, neophyte, MosinRuger and 2 others like this.

3. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

Can't say for tennis ball sized hail, but I can tell you golf ball sized hail can fuc& you up. I have a scar on the bridge of my nose from being broken by one, crashed the bike, the whole nine yards....
    jwrauch, TXplt, Cyrano and 2 others like this.
  4. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I remember back in the early 90s in Indiana we had near golf ball sized hail. I worked at my uncle's body shop that summer and I can tell you we were busy busy busy repairing all the cars. Luckily for me I was parked in a parking garage when the storm hit.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yep it can really starts doing some damage when it advances to the ping pong and golf ball sized stuff. When you get into the tennis ball size, baseball size, soft ball size, it's sure enough life threatening.
    jwrauch, TXplt, ncnascarlady and 3 others like this.
  6. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Note to self.
    Stay the hell out of Australia! scared.gif
    Everything from snakes, sharks, spiders, frogs, outback, Muslims, gun control, floods and hail storms kills you. dead1.gif
    jwrauch, TXplt, mdj696 and 3 others like this.
  7. It happens.

My brother arrived home one day just as a hail storm started. He had to go through a down stairs door and maybe 20 feet to open the carport door. He swung the door open and in the time it took him to get from the car, 20 feet through the downstairs the sky just collapsed.

He stood there barely able to see his Nissan Navara tray back 5 feet away and could not get out to drive it under the house.

I couldn't believe the damage. The windshield was on the seats and the cab roof hood doors and fenders looked like the surface of the moon.

Claremont where the storm in the video takes place in getting up towards the tropics. You could live your life and think you'd seen a storm then go there and decide you hadn't seen anything. I know I did when I was there right at the beginning of the wet season. I saw electrical storms that defied description. I saw clear sunny days turn into Hell on earth in several minutes.

I stood in a feed shed that was basically a high roof with no walls with rain coming down so hard we couldn't see a Mack Superliner - semi trailer rig 10 feet away.
    TXplt, ncnascarlady, PAPA G and 4 others like this.
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Hail doesn't have to be big to damage cars. In my Navy days, I lived offbase. One day I had just driven into my apartment's parking lot. It had just begun hailing a pea-gravel sized stuff. I used my umbrella to get to my apartment, and it was pocked with tiny holes.
    Later checked my 1975 Firebird - it was covered in tiny dents! Really PO'd me because Dad and I had painted it with pricey auto paint a year before.
    A couple months later, I separated from the Navy and drove home to Florida. I sanded the car down all over, using spot putty to fill the hundreds of dings. We repainted the car again.
    jwrauch, TXplt, PAPA G and 3 others like this.
  9. The car dealers around here have big shade sails over the their yards. It makes it a bit nicer on sunny days but reduces the need for Hail Sale's!

All of my cars have had hail hit them and touch wood I;m yet to suffer any noticeable damage.

One night when my Dad worked at one of the local coal mines they had a freak hail storm. Dad's station wagon got a decent sized dent in the roof but the car parked next to his had a softball sized number go clean through the roof. I recall it was a 1960 model Holden so that top was definitely real steel...

It doesn't take much experience to know when it could be gonna happen. Usually a very warm day with a storm brewed quickly in the afternoon. The clouds will have this green tinge to them and if the wind turns suddenly cool, yeah there is a good chance some ice might fall.
    jwrauch, TXplt, PAPA G and 2 others like this.
  10. Also Redbacks on the Dunney seat, with Funnelweb spiders
    in the garden that can kill you.
    In the present day floods in Queensland they have had
    Bull sharks swimming up the streets.
    Come on gotta live dangerously sometimes!
    Oh I forgot, crocodiles on the front lawn.
    In the really hot weather we had Skinks and larger lizards
    come into the house and Mary feeds them and puts down
    a shallow dish of water for them.Only problem is their
    inability to use the bathroom.:D
    TXplt, Cyrano and PAPA G like this.
  11. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I blame it on the spiders. Even the angels are trying to throw everything they have at their disposal to squash the little nasties and hail just happened to be handy that day.
    jwrauch, TXplt, Dressround and 2 others like this.
  12. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

funny you mention the sky color for a storm.

if it's night and cloudy here and the sky/air turns orange you better be hunkering down or getting where your going quickly.
    I just cleaned out the last of the orange sky that over flowed the bed of my pickup the last storm.
    it wasn't too bad, it averaged an inch an hour for 3 straight days. [here in the valley]
    I have seen it dump that same amount in 6 hours a couple of times.
    no the schools weren't closed.
    PAPA G likes this.
  13. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I remember about 35 years back there was a golf ball-sized hailstorm in New Haven, Connecticut, where the region seldom gets hail and even then most of it is in the triple-ought buckshot to BB shot range. But this time, the skies opened up and pelted the city for about 30 minutes. Hundreds if not thousands of cars parked on the streets had their windshields cracked or punctured; it was nightmarish. And after the storm, at least three car dealers that I recall held "Hail Sales" with substantial (like at-cost) discounts on brand new cars that looked like they were refugees from the set of a shoot-'em-up movie. The used cars, they were practically giving away. Not all the dealers were playing; I think some of them had business insurance that covered hail damage to their stock. But the ones who didn't just wanted to get back what they had paid for the cars from the factory!
    ncnascarlady and PAPA G like this.
  14. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

There goes my insurance rates!
    PAPA G likes this.
  15. So you are barreling down the highway in a hail
    damaged car and get pulled up and given a ticket.
    My defence is the car resembles a golf ball.
    Everyone knows a golf ball travels faster on account
    of all the dimples.:cool:
    PAPA G and Huey Rider like this.