Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If we're talking rifle, a .22 is hard to beat for ammo availability, lightness and all around usefulness.

If anything goes, I'd be tempted to replace it with a 12 gauge. Differing types of shells for all uses and slugs are even accurate out to 100 yards and hit much harder than a .22 lr.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
4,283 Posts
Based on what I own and my current stock, probably .223/5.56 just because of my current geographical surroundings. You can't really find anything longer than a 200 yard shot in these woods. Since it's SHTF I am not going to worry about "ethical kills" or anything like that. I sure hate the thought of having to give up my handgun, and while I have an AR pistol that doesn't really count as a handgun IMO. I thought about the .22LR but does anyone here really want to depend on that for neighborhood defense? I thought about the .44 magnum, but it's hard to come by and a revolver for a sidearm isn't ideal IMO and don't you really want a semi-auto rifle on hand? Of course you can get PCC's in .45 and 9mm, that might not be a terrible choice for the other stuff but neither is a great meat harvesting choice.

Interesting subject Animalspooker, in the end I think I came to the same conclusion, the .223.

·
<------------<<<-
4,437 Posts
One caliber, but I get the crappiest ammo... Is 50cal round ball cheating? The crappiest 'ammo' would have choppy sprues and air pockets. They're ok enough to shoot as is, but I could also recast them later. Not an ideal set up, but it's a fairly quiet rifle, especially when I only load 50gr of powder. It's got plenty of power for medium game. I would just need several rifles and pistols so I could fight like Mel Gibson, if needed...

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I have a bolt gun (223) with a 16" barrel and I'm thinking this might be the gun to have if one went with this caliber. ARs create doubt for me (I have number of them still) in a SHTF situation. TOO MANY PARTS!!!

I would like bolt guns in both .223 and .300 blk. companions to go with my AR's, use the same ammo, but much simpler and less likely to fail. the .223 would be 20" or so to take advantage of the higher velocity, while the .300bnlk would be just 16" or maybe even 14.5" pinned and welded, to keep it a short as possible for a rifle. now i suppose if the SHTF and were defending ourselves with rifles, i dont think the atf will be checking my barrel length!

Correction: AFT

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah that R/A American in 22 magnum could also serve as a survival type in my opinion. 18 inch barrel with standard stock module fits me great now. I read the 22 magnum burns up powder in around 18-19 inches of barrel so not losing too much in velocity according to that. Glad I bought it 6 years back as all I ever see is "Out of Stock" from distributors. Of course a .270 semi would make a better choice for 2 legged desperadoes.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Theoretically I would say .308. But I don’t have a good stash of supply for that caliber, so I would pick pretty much any other caliber that I am well stocked regarding.
If the shtf in real time it could come down to grab a rifle and some ammo boxes and git.
Hopefully not, the idea of leaving supplies behind is distasteful. The easiest grab and go for me would be 5.56 or 7.62x39. Packed best to move anyways.
Given any modicum of time and a capable vehicle I would not face the problem of choosing a caliber.
If it were a grab and go, one caliber, it would likely be one weapon too. Maybe a sidearm you already have on you as well, but no spare rounds, mags, etc….

·
Registered
189 Posts
I thought we had beaten this one to death a few years back :D Everyone knows that 10/22 is King of survival scenarios
1 caliber answer =I have several 9mm pistols and a 9mm Pistol caliber carbine.....although i do love my Ruger Mini 14 5.56

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
I'd have to roll with the .357 since I have both carbine and wheelgun.
Barring those, then the AK is the way to go since the worst 7.62x39 I've ever had was spam can Yugo stuff and it was still reliable and fairly accurate, just corrosive.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Well shitski, I was really leaning towards the 44/40 & the 6.5 Swede" . They're both great cartridges and are quite versatile in several roles, however in this scenario I think I'll keep these on the back burner and go with my favorite go to's. The 22lr, 45acp & the X39 combloc because they're extremely popular and can be found and or scavenged for just about anywhere if need be.

Of the three my preference would still be the 22LR for most things. In a situation such as this I would be operating as quietly as possible and utilizing my compound bow and/or katana sword for most things until the 22 is needed or just makes ore sence. About the only time I'd ever use the 45 or x39 is when the situation calls for it, ie: being quiet goes out the window and to Haydes with how much attention it attracts. In a nutshell I look at this scenario basically the same way I would as a Street Samurai if I were playing the once popular RPG game Shadow run.

·
God, Guns, Glory
37,136 Posts
As I have answered in the previous 100 posts on the same question. My choice is always the .44. Being completely blind now in one eye. And fighting to keep the vision in the other. I have far more ammo than I will ever use in my time left.

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Well shitski, I was really leaning towards the 44/40 & the 6.5 Swede" . They're both great cartridges and are quite versatile in several roles, however in this scenario I think I'll keep these on the back burner and go with my favorite go to's. The 22lr, 45acp & the X39 combloc because they're extremely popular and can be found and or scavenged for just about anywhere if need be.

Of the three my preference would still be the 22LR for most things. In a situation such as this I would be operating as quietly as possible and utilizing my compound bow and/or katana sword for most things until the 22 is needed or just makes ore sence. About the only time I'd ever use the 45 or x39 is when the situation calls for it, ie: being quiet goes out the window and to Haydes with how much attention it attracts. In a nutshell I look at this scenario basically the same way I would as a Street Samurai if I were playing the once popular RPG game Shadow run.

Honestly, rabbits and a lot of other game you would normally kill with a .22 could be done with a stick or a trap.

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
376 Posts
I have four .308 rifles and two .223/5.56 rifles and quite a bit of ammo for both. I love the .308 round, but if you have family with you, especially smaller ones, the 5.56 is easier to shoot. The .308 will take anything on the North American continent and you can load it with really light rounds if you want.

I also have a .357 mag rifle and several revolvers to go with it, and a lot of .38 special and .357 mag ammo. The lever action rifle only holds 10 rounds and is slow to reload, but you could use it against anything that walks in North America.

I have a Mossberg 500, in 12 gauge, with three interchangeable barrels, an 18" for home defense, a 24" slug barrel, that will reach out to at least 100 yards and a 28" barrel for duck and geese, or whatever. I have a ton of 12 gauge ammo, the only drawback is ammo capacity and speed of reloading, plus the ammo is heavy and bulky.

I have more 22lr and 22wm ammo that anything, but due to reliability issues, I would only grab those in a last ditch effort.

I would probably grab my .308s, because of the flexibility, but any of the others would work in a pinch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, there is the PPSH-43C "pistol." It's a civilianized, semi-auto-only version of the PPSH-43 Soviet submachine gun with its folding stock welded in the closed position. You would have to submit a request to the BATFE to get permission to cut the weld and restore the stock to use it as a short-barreled rifle, but for this particular firearm I don't think BATFE would give you a hard time. It can't be converted to full auto, and it's a tough little piece that like every other Soviet firearm, is meant to work under crummy conditions.

There are other longarms that were made for the 7.62 Tok round, but all of them are submachine guns.

As for rolling your own, apparently there are dies that will convert 5.56 NATO brass into 7.62x25 Tok. You'd need to consult with the reloaders to determine who makes them and how difficult it is to do. I think, but I am not sure, that you can use .32 Auto bullets to reload. Again, the reloaders would know.
Couple company's make ar uppers for it, both pistol and rifle length.
For sizing the brass just cut down the 223 brass through tok die with decap removed, trim resize again with and trim to length based on your chamber. May need to ream etc based on your firearms fit.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Okay! Situational, hypothetical, what-if coming your way.

All of society breaks down completely. You can expect no help from your government (not that would anyway), and grocery stores no longer exist. You are prepared to feed your family/group well enough to get to the next 'garden-picking' season, and you have a healthy collection of livestock. You will however have to defend your location (people, property and livestock) and game acquisition is also a must to supplement what you already have.

Due to some extremely odd turn of events that occurred a few years earlier, you were forced to choose one caliber and one caliber only. When you were forced to do this, you thought ahead to this day and chose the caliber you felt could best serve you and your family/group. Your other members also must only use the same caliber...no cheats!

What caliber do you choose?

I think, and I haven't put a whole lot of thought into it, that I would go with the .223. Easy enough to reload, I can take any animal from a chipmunk to a grizzly (with enough well placed shots), and 2 legged bandits can definitely be deterred by it. Range is moderate (up to 600 yards?) and there is a wide range of bullet sizes (35 to 85gr). FMJ, soft points, hollow point and a number or other 'points' are also available.

Another caliber that crossed my mind was....wait for it...the .357. Easier to reload(?) with straight walls (no lube?). Seems odd picking this one, but it'll take down anything, and with a lever action rifle and the right bullet, small game can be taken and not totally destroyed.

What are y'alls thoughts?
You might laugh but 9x19 Luger.
Tons around.
Packs easy a d women and kids could use a 9mm with some training.

·
Registered
189 Posts
[QUOTE
You might laugh but 9x19 Luger.
Tons around.
Packs easy a d women and kids could use a 9mm with some training.
[/QUOTE]
Yup I said that too. 9mm is a very versatile round. I can shoot out to 100 yards with it in my 16 inch barell carbine and for self defense ,a 9mm pistol s easy to shoot and train with. The Most popular pistol round in the world.

Reactions: neophyte
21 - 40 of 78 Posts