Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Wife tells me there's no nutritional value with rabbits. I'll have to say my .303 for game. .308 for other.
I have heard this before. supposedly it takes as much or more energy to digest a rabbit than you get out of it. I had a friend who was into falconry. he told me that when he needed to bring the weight of his hawks down, he would feed them only rabbit.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
In a SHIF situation you would have to run out of your own supply first then run out of reloading components.
Then you could choose a caliber that you find the most of as you rummage through what others have left behind. It will probably be .22lr since most don't consider it a deadly caliber & won't keep it for defense.

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
376 Posts
Something that might be an option, that someone else, said is 9mm. I have a tone of 9mm ammo, a bunch of 9mm pistols and a 9mm carbine, not to mention two 50 round drums, a whole bunch of the Glock 33 round happy sticks, and a bunch of Glock mags. I've also got a bunch of 33 round mags for my M&P pistols. 9mm won't take down the biggest game, especially at distance, but I see how it could be a viable option. Plus, it's common all over the world. Not to mention, if all that is left is crap ammo, my Glock and M&Ps will shoot anything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If we are truly in a SHTF situation, will hunting be a viable option for most of us?
Maybe for some in remote locations, but maybe not for any of us located too close to urban or suburban areas. I would think being out in the woods with hundreds or even thousands of hungry and increasingly desperate people - all hunting for the same diminishing supply of game - may not be the best course of action.
For this same reason, I think calibers like .22LR and hunting type rifles - single shot, bolt action, lever action, etc. - might not be an ideal choice.
IMO, during SHTF, most of us would be more likely to have to deal with desperate people than we would be to take game animals.
I personally would choose a cartridge and weapon type more suitable for dealing with groups of two-legged animals, rather than something optimized for four-legged ones.
My personal choice would be .308 / 7.62 NATO. I plan to stay in one place, where weight and bulk of guns and ammo aren't so important.
If I was planning on having to travel to another location post SHTF, I'd choose .223 / 5.55 NATO.
But that's just me, YMMV.

Edited for typos

·
Global Warming Enthusiast
4,283 Posts
If we are truly in a SHTF situation, will hunting be a viable option for most of us?
That's a pretty good point. I live in a rural area, but there are plenty of people that would be competing for game animal... and cows for that matter.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Something that might be an option, that someone else, said is 9mm. I have a tone of 9mm ammo, a bunch of 9mm pistols and a 9mm carbine, not to mention two 50 round drums, a whole bunch of the Glock 33 round happy sticks, and a bunch of Glock mags. I've also got a bunch of 33 round mags for my M&P pistols. 9mm won't take down the biggest game, especially at distance, but I see how it could be a viable option. Plus, it's common all over the world. Not to mention, if all that is left is crap ammo, my Glock and M&Ps will shoot anything.
If 9mm is loaded in 350 legend cases it will reach distance with enough power to take down larger prey.

·
Registered
I love any and all firearms, also love archery hunting.
376 Posts
Maybe for some in remote locations, but maybe not for any of us located too close to urban or suburban areas. I would think being out in the woods with hundreds or even thousands of hungry and increasingly desperate people - all hunting for the same diminishing supply of game - may not be the best course of action.
For this same reason, I think calibers like .22LR and hunting type rifles - single shot, bolt action, lever action, etc. - might not be an ideal choice.
IMO, during SHTF, most of us would be more likely to have to deal with desperate people than we would be to take game animals.
I personally would choose a cartridge and weapon type more suitable for dealing with groups of two-legged animals, rather than something optimized for four-legged ones.
My personal choice would be .308 / 7.62 NATO. I plan to stay in one place, where weight and bulk of guns and ammo aren't so important.
If I was planning on having to travel to another location post SHTF, I'd choose .223 / 5.55 NATO.

Edited for typos
Very true and one of the reasons I'd also pick the 308. I have a DPMS Oracle LR 308 that would be great for anti-personnel/Crowd control, lol a Browning BLR lever action that great for hunting and quick follow up shots, and two bolt action Savages. One is a cheap Axis, but the other is a Savage 10 with a bull barrel and it's the most accurate rifle I own.

I live out in the country, so my primary concern, to start with, are bears, cougars and roaming gangs looking for supplies.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another option to consider is whether you will run into many people. If none, I might opt for an air rifle because I can cast my own pellets and have unlimited shots. With compressed air, I can have multiple shots without recharging.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts

Edited for typos
I live in the city limits of a town with a population of 23,000, within the Birmingham Metro area which has a total population of 1.1 million. The deer, raccoons, squirrels and possums casually strolling through our neighborhood would take a year to hunt out.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
You can walk up to a cow and then shoot it in the head, you don't have to be 100 yards away. Although I have never shot a cow, I have walked up to them. I have even helped during branding season and they are not very happy when you burn their A$$.
I never quite understood branding, seems like it would ruin the hyde and scar the muscle. We always tagged their ears.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
I never quite understood branding, seems like it would ruin the hyde and scar the muscle. We always tagged their ears.
Out west you have a different world and huge ranches, farms, and grazing areas. Tags fall off. I will admit, my experience is dated, and I joined the AF when I was19, but have seen a lot of the world and how they do things. Branding that was done when I helped my friends Dad and Grandpaw, only singe enough to burn the hair follicles, don't try and burn a steak. I do remember burning hair doesn't smell good.
Also, aren't the ear tags color coded so you don't put one color next to a cow with a different color so they don't get agitated. Hey, maybe we need to do that with people based on their ability to aggrivate others. :unsure:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
36,051 Posts
oma g21 raises an excellent point. I'm presuming most of the urban types will stay in their pestholes fighting for diminishing resources until it is too late, while the rural folks form local militias along the lines of the Minutemen of the colonial era and the local militia companies raised in times of emergency before the Civil War. The primary purpose of these "Dad's Army" outfits (which originally, World War II buffs might recall, were named Local Defence Volunteers) would be to run off and if necessary, shoot, urbanites trying to take over their lands and loot their towns. (I see the better-organized gangbangers who think guns are magic wands attempting this.)

One thing that has not been mentioned thus far is sound suppressors. We all know how far the BANG of a hunting rifle carries. It's not impossible that the sound could attract a gang of urbanites. The use of sound suppressors for hunting would lower that possibility. And if it became necessary to deal with the thugs from the cities in a rural environment, suppressed rifles would go a long way towards running them off or seeing them planted in the ground.

I note that one factor which led to the UK giving up the League of Nations/UN Mandate for Palestine after World War II was the fact the Irgun had laid its hands on a small number of the OSS-developed silent, flashless High Standard .22 caliber pistols and modified Thompson submachine guns. These were used to assassinate the more vocal anti-Israel British officers and government officials in the Mandate. The British could not cope with the tactic and had no counter for it, and it was very bad for their morale. I think we can presume it would be just as discouraging to the city dwellers who want to take over rural communities.

·
Registered
301 Posts
oma g21 raises an excellent point. I'm presuming most of the urban types will stay in their pestholes fighting for diminishing resources until it is too late, while the rural folks form local militias along the lines of the Minutemen of the colonial era and the local militia companies raised in times of emergency before the Civil War. The primary purpose of these "Dad's Army" outfits (which originally, World War II buffs might recall, were named Local Defence Volunteers) would be to run off and if necessary, shoot, urbanites trying to take over their lands and loot their towns. (I see the better-organized gangbangers who think guns are magic wands attempting this.)

One thing that has not been mentioned thus far is sound suppressors. We all know how far the BANG of a hunting rifle carries. It's not impossible that the sound could attract a gang of urbanites. The use of sound suppressors for hunting would lower that possibility. And if it became necessary to deal with the thugs from the cities in a rural environment, suppressed rifles would go a long way towards running them off or seeing them planted in the ground.

I note that one factor which led to the UK giving up the League of Nations/UN Mandate for Palestine after World War II was the fact the Irgun had laid its hands on a small number of the OSS-developed silent, flashless High Standard .22 caliber pistols and modified Thompson submachine guns. These were used to assassinate the more vocal anti-Israel British officers and government officials in the Mandate. The British could not cope with the tactic and had no counter for it, and it was very bad for their morale. I think we can presume it would be just as discouraging to the city dwellers who want to take over rural communities.
I didn't know Israelis resorted to that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Out west you have a different world and huge ranches, farms, and grazing areas. Tags fall off. I will admit, my experience is dated, and I joined the AF when I was19, but have seen a lot of the world and how they do things. Branding that was done when I helped my friends Dad and Grandpaw, only singe enough to burn the hair follicles, don't try and burn a steak. I do remember burning hair doesn't smell good.
Also, aren't the ear tags color coded so you don't put one color next to a cow with a different color so they don't get agitated. Hey, maybe we need to do that with people based on their ability to aggrivate others. :unsure:
My wife is always branding my ears with her complaining.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can walk up to a cow and then shoot it in the head, you don't have to be 100 yards away. Although I have never shot a cow, I have walked up to them. I have even helped during branding season and they are not very happy when you burn their A$$.
I shot my brother's sheep in the head with a .22lr, missed the brain but got it right on the 6th shot. It left me thinking that a .357mag would have worked better.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
We always had a lead female/alpha that took care of interpersonal disputes when we had Angus. As long as the herd is under 70 she will take care of any problems. I've heard a few of the larger cattle farmers around here use donkeys for the same thing, with the bonus that a donkey will happily mud stomp snakes, coyotes and wild hogs, and laugh while it is doing it. Unlike people, cows tend to pick the wisest leader, and a stupid donkey easily outclasses a cow in brains.

We used different colors for different generations. Tags had the dual purpose in helping the cull, and in determining when we needed to replace bulls. You can breed a bull with his daughters, but never with his granddaughters.
We also had hole punches that stood for what vaccines they had.

I was too young to remember what we did with Herefords. With those, I think my Grandaddy just made sure the tags he used were a different color to the neighbors'. His cows were pretty much tame, and he knew their age and temperament by sight.

·
Registered
301 Posts
[QUOTE
You might laugh but 9x19 Luger.
Tons around.
Packs easy a d women and kids could use a 9mm with some training.
Yup I said that too. 9mm is a very versatile round. I can shoot out to 100 yards with it in my 16 inch barell carbine and for self defense ,a 9mm pistol s easy to shoot and train with. The Most popular pistol round in the world.
[/QUOTE]
You can pull 9mm bullets and shoot them through a .38 or .357mag.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts