close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

One more chance.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Uncle Red, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

This is a BIG one folks, It looks like we will only have one more chance to defeat an anti- First and Second Amendment bill that will be going to the desk of the President soon

On Wednesday, the Senate passed the Incumbent Protection Act, otherwise known as Shays-Meehan Campaign Finance Reform. This has set the stage for a constitutional crisis. If President Bush signs this bill, it would severely restrict the rights and abilities of individuals and civic organizations from participating in the political process and speaking out and educating voters on issues of public policy. Speak out against an incumbent -- go to jail.
    Certain provisions of Shays-Meehan, including the ban on issue advocacy advertising 60 days from a general election and 30 days from a primary, as well as prohibitions on so-called "coordination" of contact between advocacy groups, individuals, and candidates for office, is an outright violation of First Amendment free speech protections.
    After what the liberals in Congress have passed, we're one step closer to losing our rights to free speech and to have our voice heard in the political arena. If this legislation becomes law, the only groups left with real influence in our political system will be incumbent politicians and the media. The losers will be average citizens, civic groups, labor unions and political parties.
    The bill now goes to the President's desk, to be signed into law or vetoed... and President Bush hasn't said which it will be.

ACTION ITEM: #1
    "If Congress will not protect the U.S. Constitution, President Bush is oath-bound to do just that," said Phil Kent,
    president of the Southeastern Legal Foundation (www.southeasternlegal.org). "Free speech gag rules in Shays-Meehan violate the most protected of all free speech rights -- the right to free expression of political ideas."
    "President Bush has expressed deep concerns about many of the free speech provisions in Shays-Meehan," said Kent, "and we hope that he will make the right decision in favor of the First Amendment."
    All Americans who cherish the right to free speech should consider it their duty to contact the President and urge him to VETO this bill. CLICK BELOW:

http://www.conservativehq.com/032102.htm

ACTION ITEM: #2
    Send this pre-written message to President Bush:
    president@whitehouse.gov
    ----------
    President Bush,

On Wednesday, the Senate passed the Incumbent Protection Act, otherwise known as Shays-Meehan Campaign Finance Reform. This has set the stage for a constitutional crisis. If you sign this bill, it would severely restrict the rights and abilities of individuals and civic organizations from participating in the political process and speaking out and educating voters on issues of public policy.
    Certain provisions of Shays-Meehan, including the ban on issue advocacy advertising 60 days from a general election and 30 days from a primary, as well as prohibitions on so-called "coordination" of contact between advocacy groups, individuals, and candidates for office, is an outright violation of First Amendment free speech protections.
    The free speech gag rules in Shays-Meehan violate the most protected of all free speech rights -- the right to free expression of political ideas. If Congress will not protect the U.S. Constitution, then you, President Bush, are oath-bound to do just that! President Bush, you have expressed deep concerns about many of the free speech provisions in Shays-Meehan, and I hope that you will make the right decision in favor of the First Amendment. As an American who cherishes the right to free speech you should VETO this bill. Please let me know of your decision, at your earliest possible convenience. Thank you.

Sincerely,

(Your name and address here)
    ----------

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

President Bush has said he will sign this bill,let's hope we can change his mind.

3. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I contacted Frist and Thompson and they both said they do not support the bill and if it passes they are planning to be included in the lawsuit contesting the constitutional implications of such a law

4. Uncle, your suggestion is a great one but is there a way to click on the White House link and send the letter you typed or do we need to retype the letter.......'member....you are dealing with, at least one, computer idiot here.

Let me know Uncle...thanks....yepper

5. ScottD

ScottD G&G Newbie

As Phil Gramm said, "This is the most blatantingly, unconsitutional bill before congress in it's entire history."

It will never never stand up in a court of law.

How can we get Phil Gramm to run for President?

Never trusted anything that Fiengold had his hands in.

6. Robert

Robert Member

Dale, just click on the link at the bottom of action #1 and just follow all the prompts. It is automatic and painless.

7. Robert

Robert Member

Uncle Red... Thank you very much for posting this. Tami and I both sent our vote with the Sixty-Second Activist, we also forwarded the link to others.

8. Thanks Robert...done sent.

9. Uncle Red

Uncle Red G&G Newbie

Anyone who wishes to use the letter I supplied may do so freely. That is exactly the reason I added it. If you feel you want to use the link provided by 60 second activist, knock yourself out. I sent both and so did my wife. I just added mine to make it as easy as possible for anyone to send a letter. I had sent my letter before I went to the web site.
    There is also a letter at Gun Owners of America:
    http://www.gunowners.org/a032102x.htm
    You can let your Senator(s) know how you feel about their vote. -UR.