One more question, about magazines...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Tami, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Tami

Tami Guest

If an SKS has a detachable mag, can you still use a military surplus fixed mag? Seems like it would stay in, but instead of opening the bottom when you release the catch, the whole thing would drop out. Is that how they work?

2. stead

stead Guest

if your sks was orginal equipt with fix mag,you can interchange with a detachable mag,remove the trigger group and install,you can go back to the fixed.be sure to check.you local,state.federal laws first

3. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

Stead is right. You can go back to a fixed mag if that's what you want. The detachable mags don't really "fall" out-you have to manually remove them because of the tab on the front of the magazine. HTH:)

4. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Sometimes they do just fall out. Seen it happen. Fire your first shot and down it goes.

5. Tami

Tami Guest

No, that's not what I meant by falling out.....

With a fixed mag, when you open the catch, the bottom cover opens. After it is switched to a detachable, there is a peice missing that would ordinarilly hold the upper body of the magazine....when you use the detachable...it is the same catch that used to hold the cover....now holds in the entire magazine. So....if you insert a fixed mag into a converted one, It Should hold it in, but when you release the catch, both the uper body of the mag, and the hinged cover part would come out as one peice......that's what I am thinking should happen anyway. I dont know. I am hoping that to install a GOOD 5 round mag to make it legal in the woods, it won't have to be converted every time, that the 5 round fixed and the removable mag would be interchangeable after conversion. I dont like the 'removable style '5 round mags that I have seen, and I think the old surplus mags just look prettier than the cheap after-market ones that I have seen. Especially the ones that have the STAR stamped into the metal.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

If that's what you want, Tami, why not just make a block to insert under the follower in your original mag to limit it to 5 rounds? It's easily done, and you don't have to worry about reliabilty. JMHO