one shot

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by lefty o, Aug 26, 2010.

1. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    wow, thought i was having a bad day at the bench or was getting weak. setting up to reload .308win for my M1A, and was having the hardest time ever sizing cases. i was dang near ripping the press off the bench! had cleaned cases, lubed nicely with hornady one shot, just wasnt working. took the sizing die back apart, and recleaned it, cleaned and lubed the press ram, reset the die, still no dice, grrrrrrr. in all my years of reloading i have never had cases this hard to size. start thinking its my once fired privi partisan brass, but not much i can do with the brass. out of desperation i grabbed my backup can of one shot, and lubed the rest of the cases. instantly smooth as butter sizing. bad can of lube=miserable time sizing. i shot hornady an email, we'll see what they say about this. i still think this is a good product, but had this been the first can i ever used, i would not be a fan!

2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Sorry to hear that good idea to keep some back up, even some RCBS lube and a pad. Did you give them the lot number?

3. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

Similar experience

The only stuck case I have ever had was when I used some Oneshot that had been sitting on the shelf for a long time (couple of years).
    Had to find my drills and taps and get out the deep sockets and a 1/4" bolt. grrr

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Well I am happy you diagnosed the problem early on !!

5. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I've had the same problem Lefty. But have noticed if u spray'm once real good. let'm set for a bit and spray'm agin, things work alot better. It could be a bad can of lube, but I'd try the double shot before I threw it away.

It certainly doesn't stand by it's name. LOL!

6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    oh, i tried it more than once with the bad can, no dice.

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Thanks for the report. I am a big fan of Hornady products, but I've never used the OneShot lube as I've still got 3\4 of the original tin of Imperial case sizing wax that I bought about 6 years ago. I used to use the Lee lube, but noticed a lot of stress while resizing rifle cases, so I switched to the Imperial and they started sizing like butter. I never stuck a case with the Lee lube, but I love the Imperial wax, especially for reforming 30-06 to 8x57.

8. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have it on good authority,you tried some hairspray. ,,,sam.

9. gamehunter

gamehunter G&G Evangelist

yup I got a sizing die sitting here with a .308 case still jammed in it thanks to one shot I emailed hornady and got a reply back from hornady saying they would replace my die but they never did. I still have that bottle of one shot and it is still on death row awaiting its execution date at the rifle range, I now use hornady unique case lube which is way better.

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I still use Billy's homemade lube recipe and a cheap spray bottle to apply it. Works great as long as you let the alcohol evaporate brfore you start sizing.

11. rl69

rl69 G&G Evangelist

+1 om billys lube i can size 1 with the lube (30/06) and 5 without

12. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad

plus one on the imperial, works great!

13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Billy's homemade stuff is a LOT easier to use.

14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    well, hornady email'd me back and said they are sending me a replacement can. good deal.

15. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

They have great customer service! Thats why I buy from'm!

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I had a bad can of the stuff myself a while back. Had to hammer out a .223 shell what got lodged in the die.

Used Billy's stuff ever since.

17. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I just stick with the pad and gel from RCBS. None of this newfangled spray stuff for me!

18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ Sounds like you're showing your age Teach! ,,,sam.

19. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Like I've said before, Sam, I have a few years on you and probably most of the guys here. When/if I retire in June of 2012 I will have 45 years in the classroom behind me.

But hey, I'm still having fun at school and one of the kids told me yesterday that she wishes she had taken chemistry since all her friends tell her it's "Da Bomb".

20. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Would not know , I use the Lee lube .

God bless
    Wyr