close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Only 1

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Let's say you could own only one gun...rifle, shotgun or handgun. :mad: what would it be and why would you choose it ? :confused: :fuss: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

2. .22 rifle. ammos cheap and you could in theory harvest any game animal in the U.S.A.

3. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

In theory, I would not use a 22 on a kodiak or a grizzly. The odds against your success excrutiatingly high.

My Ruger SRH 44 mag with a Tasco Pro Point red dot sight. Portable, diverse loads, including shot rounds, small game, and large game. Good to 100 yards. **** near indestructible.

A 12 ga pump gun with a couple different barrels would be the best all around for anything and everything. Better for combat and bird hunting than the 44.

4. florgy

florgy G&G Newbie

I'd go with a mossberg 12 guage pump action shotgun. I'd need at least an extra slug barrel, and rifle or ghost ring sights. Regards.

5. I wold go eith one of those new H&R combos (223/12ga)
    two barrles one gun. That should just about cover it.

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Why not the good old M1-Garand! Not too bad for hunting, and well, target its great, and self defense not the best, but wow if you hit them with it....they are down for the count!

That or a BAR, I don't play mensy pansy with this stuff, I want the big stuff!

7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

My Winchester Model 94 in .44 mag. Could use it for almost anything.

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I'll use my 03A3.

If I only had one gun to use I would be happy to use my Springfield 1903A3 for hunting, home defense, or target shooting. It's got power, accuracy and historical success for military uses.

:assult:

9. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

I would go with my M1-A it will take care of anything that comes up Hunting,Defense,and can double as a noise maker and light show on the 4th it screams FREEDOM!.

10. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    A 12ga. pump shotgun no question has the most options for big game, small game, defense and ease of use.

Dave375

11. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Only one?
    I figure to rely on for survival and defense my choice would be a good shotgun (12 ga.) with adjustable choke. You can hunt bird (turkey to dove) and critter (squirrel to deer) and some claim that the shotgun is the best defense weapon. Personally, the thought of having only one gun sounds more like a nightmare to me. Good Shooting! Eric

12. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I would go with one of my custom built h&r rifles with six or seven of the different caliber I have built for it

13. For the sake of Carnivore--one assault wrist rocket.:joker:

14. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

I'm with Rock My M1A "Bush" rifle would suffice in any situation Different weight bullets & loads Close range, long range, whatever Plus already have whatever parts that may fail.You have to think about that too

15. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Wayne you are right about the possibility of breakage that's why I go for the H&R because there are very few working parts on the gun and really nothing can break except for the plastic trigger guards.

16. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

That's a tough one. I'm stuck between my HK-91 for range, accuracy, and capacity, or my Mossberg 590 for versatility, durability, and heavy knockdown with slugs. Depends on where, I guess.

17. MarkII 22

MarkII 22 G&G Newbie

Sumthing in the order of a FAL M-14 ipe rifle.

18. johno

johno G&G Newbie

that's a tough one. i'd have to go with an M1A or FAL. close runners up would be a mossberg 500 with a few extra barrels, and a marlin lever gun in .44 mag.

19. BenP, a few years ago in one of the outdoor magazines, I forget which one Outdoor Life, or Field and Stream, I read an article on one of the largest Grizzlys ever shot. I think it was in Alaska during the "20's or "30's. A Inuit woman was walking with her 2 children. she was armed with a single shot .22, which she had only .22 shorts, she was hunting Ptarmagin, anyway a bear got after her and her children. She took them and climbed up on a brush pile, and of course Mr. Grizz was coming up there also. The article stated that she shot him twice I think it was, and at the second shot, she put his lights out. Now I know that this is a rare case, and I for one would not want to be in a similar situation, but it does prove that a .22 will kill a bear. I forget how large the skin squared out at, but it stood as a record for several years. I think it was back in the late "70's or early "80's issues. It evan had a piture of the woman, and the bears hide.

20. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

Yep, like I said, it's possible, but the odds are too high for me.