Ontario Rat 5.

Discussion in 'Knives/Cutlery' started by 46camper, Jun 1, 2020.

1. 46camper

46camper G&G Enthusiast

US
    I just bought a Ontario Rat 5 . A couple weeks ago. I liked it fairly well. It was sharp out of the box . The fit and finish was decent.
    I got it at Midway USA for $54.99. That was $30-$40 cheaper then most places had it.
    I do not like the sheath that it came with.
    So anyway I have used it some . I think it will do anything I want it to .
    So after useing the Rat 5 a little bit I decided to sharpen it up . So then I took a marker marked the edge . Then I put the angle guide clamp on . I took the fine stone and put the guide rod and lightly ran the stone along the edge. It was the wright angle . The stone took the marker off the edge.
    So I went to the opposite side did the same thing. This time the stone hit above the edge . I checked the clamp it had not moved . The only thing I can figure is that Ontario puts the edge on there knives by hand. So when my knife was finished at the factory.the opposite side was off a degree or two.
    So I reprofiled the edge now it's 30° on both sides . It is also sharp enough to shave.
    Now I need a good sheath.

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk

ChaZam, BigEd63, Dutch and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I’m seriously considering a sharpening system. I’ve never used anything more advanced than whatever stones I’ve had on hand. I don’t even know where or when I got them. Which system are you using to set the angle, and would you recommend it?

I went and looked up the Ontario Rat 5, it looks like a functional fixed blade knife.

neophyte and ChaZam like this.

3. 46camper

46camper G&G Enthusiast

US
    It’s very functional blade. There are several after market handle scales and sheaths made . So I would assume it’s very popular in the bush craft / survival crowd.
    As for the system used to set the angle . Used a Smiths brand clamp system . It is like the Lansky system . The Smith system , the clamp it’s self seems to be better suited for bigger knives.
    I’m also looking into a different brand that has a similar clamp angle guide . As the other two systems it has preset angles.
    Also DMT also has a clamp guide system. In a way I think the DMT would be better because it looks like there is no set angles to me . So you could set it to match the factory edge on a particular brand of knife. A lot easier then the other three brands .
    Now don’t take my word on the DMT. I have only seen photos of the system.
    It could have preset angels as the other two systems .
    When I say preset angles . You clamp the knife . The clamp has back that has slots with the degree of the angle . For each slot . [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutch and neophyte like this.
  4. 46camper

46camper G&G Enthusiast

US
    There are better more precise. Those sharpeners cost way more . You could buy two of each system I mentioned and still have money left over . For what it would cost to buy one of the other type. I believe the precise high dollar system I have in mind is the Wicked Edge .

Dutch and ChaZam like this.
  5. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

information: a review. I have a Lansky system.
    and stones. I can and have ruined many blades.
    (dagnabit). I would probably be a great candidate for
    Wicked Edge tester :).

https://knifeinformer.com/wicked-edge-knife-sharpener-review/

Keep in mind that this system was designed from the ground up to be the best sharpening set up ever made cost be damned. If, like me, you own numerous expensive custom knives this is the only system accurate enough, in my opinion, to be trusted with confidence each and every time.

The results I’ve obtained using the Wicked Edge are truly amazing. When I put a full mirror edge on my knives (as outlined below) they can literally whittle hair and “pop” the hair clean off your arm! If you are so inclined you can turn the Wicked Edge into a small business sharpening for the local population or at the various shows. I know several people who do this on a regular basis.

I’m not disputing that the other systems out there can get your knives equally sharp but the Wicked Edge is the cream of the crop when it comes to accurate, repeatable results in my opinion. For quick touch ups of my budget knives I’m happy to hit the Sharpmaker but when the super-steels need to regain their edge I go straight to the Wicked Edge.

Dutch and ChaZam like this.
  6. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    After deciding on a much more expensive system, a friend brought over his much less expensive Lansky sharpening system. After a quick demo, I ordered the 4 stone Diamond kit.

Problem solved, thanks for the conversation and input on this.

FortyXDM, neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  7. 46camper

46camper G&G Enthusiast

US
    Yep

Dutch and neophyte like this.