Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made the big leap and picked up an M91/30 from Big-5. The knowledge spilled here by everyone was definitely a great help in my search and I have to thank everyone for that. There's still the ten day waiting period but I should be picking it up next week. In the interim, I've got some questions that the search option didn't really help in answering.

First off, I'd like to buy some ammunition beforehand and I was wondering where the best deals are with the most variety. I think I'm going to go for a little bit of everything to see what I'm most comfortable with before I buy in bulk. Also, as a note, I'm only twenty so if you guys can provide links to places that don't require 21 and over for rifle ammo, that would be very helpful. I'm thinking about ammunitiontogo.com, has anybody dealt with them before? They also have some stripper clips that are supposedly original military issue. Can anybody comment on that?

Minus the usual dings and dents, the stock seemed to me like it was in pretty good condition and so I'm thinking of possibly removing it and putting it in storage so as not to diminish its value or quality by risking a refinishing job. That being said, I'm considering purchasing an identical M91/30 stock from ebay or somewhere else online that I can refinish and utilize on a regular basis. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

I have this weird feeling that I'm going to be broke in the near future. Already, I'm thinking about picking up an M44. Why do these rifles have to be so damn cheap? It's a curse in disguise; you think it's a good thing at first but it screws you over in the long run. I should be able to resist the urge though; as a student, I can't afford not to.

·
Registered
827 Posts
ammo you can find all over the place dirt cheap, ammotogo is a great place but ive never dealt with them so i dont know.

as for the stock, i would advise you to read up in this forum to find mine and Geo M44's refinishing processes

as for why there so damn cheap, they just got millions of them out of Russia as the country is revamping its military and they needed money.

as for resisting the urge, control is good, but remember its only a matter of time before the Mosin supply dries up, so controlled purchasing can be a good thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone please tell me what Big 5 Mosin's come with? Does the M91/30 come with a bayonet?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I finally made the big leap and picked up an M91/30 from Big-5. The knowledge spilled here by everyone was definitely a great help in my search and I have to thank everyone for that. There's still the ten day waiting period but I should be picking it up next week. In the interim, I've got some questions that the search option didn't really help in answering.

First off, I'd like to buy some ammunition beforehand and I was wondering where the best deals are with the most variety. I think I'm going to go for a little bit of everything to see what I'm most comfortable with before I buy in bulk. Also, as a note, I'm only twenty so if you guys can provide links to places that don't require 21 and over for rifle ammo, that would be very helpful. I'm thinking about ammunitiontogo.com, has anybody dealt with them before? They also have some stripper clips that are supposedly original military issue. Can anybody comment on that?

Minus the usual dings and dents, the stock seemed to me like it was in pretty good condition and so I'm thinking of possibly removing it and putting it in storage so as not to diminish its value or quality by risking a refinishing job. That being said, I'm considering purchasing an identical M91/30 stock from ebay or somewhere else online that I can refinish and utilize on a regular basis. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

I have this weird feeling that I'm going to be broke in the near future. Already, I'm thinking about picking up an M44. Why do these rifles have to be so damn cheap? It's a curse in disguise; you think it's a good thing at first but it screws you over in the long run. I should be able to resist the urge though; as a student, I can't afford not to.
Unlees your rifle is a collector item I wouldnt worry about the stock getting dinged . and if it does buy a different stock at that time in the mean time enjoy it and Welcome to G&G

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my biggest worry is messing it up when I attempt to refinish it. I've never refinished a stock before so I'd much rather mess around with something I could care less about. On a completely different note, do these things kick at all? From what I've read the M44 is a kicking beast but what about the M91/30? My dad bought me a 7mm magnum when I was thirteen as my first rifle. I still cringe just thinking about shooting it even though lately I have had a sudden urge to take it to the range.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
the bayonet, ammo pouch, oil/solvent bottle, firing pin checker/screwdriver/bayonet tool and some cleaning jags should have all come with the big 5 purchase. every one i've ever looked at had them.
there's a gun show at the cow palace in san francisco this weekend. i was thinking of re-upping some more bulgarian. running low after the range session tonight.
wish i had your problem of possibly being too young to get ammo easy. you can allways get older. you'll never get younger.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
the bayonet, ammo pouch, oil/solvent bottle, firing pin checker/screwdriver/bayonet tool and some cleaning jags should have all come with the big 5 purchase. every one i've ever looked at had them.
there's a gun show at the cow palace in san francisco this weekend. i was thinking of re-upping some more bulgarian. running low after the range session tonight.
wish i had your problem of possibly being too young to get ammo easy. you can allways get older. you'll never get younger.
AMEN to that+1:sad2:

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Hey, wait a minute! If you can't get younger, then hows come my wife says I'm like a 5 year old around my Mosins?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
33,992 Posts
AIM Surplus has a good deal on Bulgarian heavy ball right now. I bought 300 rounds for $51 delivered UPS. And unlike the Russian "spam can," the Bulgarian "lifeboat ration" can is easy to open. Just be sure you have another container to transfer your ammo into, though, becuase the Bulgarian can does not reseal.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
AIM Surplus has a good deal on Bulgarian heavy ball right now. I bought 300 rounds for $51 delivered UPS. And unlike the Russian "spam can," the Bulgarian "lifeboat ration" can is easy to open. Just be sure you have another container to transfer your ammo into, though, becuase the Bulgarian can does not reseal.
2 words: Duct Tape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts