Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last weekend I went to my Central Fla. camp to hog hunt. just before leaving home, I realized that it was also the opening of muzzle loader deer season in that area. so I went to my "range" and checked the zero on my m.l. rifle. it was dead on.
I hog hunted with my 300 Black Out AR 15 the day before M.L. season and didn't see anything but ***** & squirrels. not good. :( opening morning I sat in another place where I had seen a bunch of deer on the trail camera. nothing. that evening I sat in the stand I was hog hunting from (the picture with the AR 15) and this barely legal "Spoon & Crockpot" trophy buck comes walking by. so I shot him. the .50 cal. Power Belt bullet went right through him and he ran about 20 yds. and fell down within sight of my stand. it left a blood trail that a blind man could follow but since I saw where he fell, I didn't need to track him.
Plant Vertebrate Tree Wood Trunk
Plant Plant community Botany Leaf Tree

· Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone.
I am a meat hunter and this lil buck was just what I was hunting for.
there was LOTs of hog sign and all the corn I put out there and in the other feeders a couple weeks before was gone. but none of the hog sign looked fresh. that night while skinning the buck, I heard dogs running in the orange grove that borders my hunting land and that answered my question of where were the hogs. :(

· Registered
3,109 Posts
That's the way it works around here, If I take my gun to squirrel hunt I see deer, if I take my bow(bow season here) to hunt deer squirrels are trying to crawl over me.
I wonder what would happen if I took both gun & bow?? LOL
I have one of those Ruger Chargers (1022 Pistol) that fits in my backpack when I bow hunt. It is suppressed also, so if I choose to make a shot at a squirrel or coyote or anything lese, no big deal. I also have a pack that will fit a short rifle or carbine, so as long as you are hunting from a stand and not trying to sneak through the brush no big deal. Some of the 22 suppressors with the right ammo actually is Hollywood quiet and I recommend them to every body. Creates a whole new sport of silent hunting, perfect for squirrels. Just shooting targets without ear protection or the neighbors knowing is a big deal. Mine are much quieter than my pellet guns. You only buy them once and pay that $200 tax once then good for life. Mine fit 2 1022s, a 17 HMR, a 17 WSM, and several 22 pistols. I have a 1911-22 that is very accurate, it would work for squirrels at 25-30 yards.

FWIW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.