Opening For New Ideas

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Chris, May 27, 2008.

1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

So hey everyone,

I'm pretty much slammed with just work as school is out for summer, but I have a ton of things going on in my life right now. So this leaves very little for developing any cool new features for the site. So if you have an awesome idea and would like to be apart of help forming it on the site....POST and let it be heard. I'm not expecting you to have computer knowledge, just a dedication to the spread of knowledge and love for firearms. Your ideas are always welcome.

For example:
    I have an awesome system setup for a monthly magazine(online not printed). I have very little article or reviewing expierence. So this is something I'm working or at least attempting to.

If you have an idea...post it.

Rome wasn't built in a day....

2. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit G&G Evangelist

I used to be an editor/writer for a financial magazine and am now a Marketing Director for a manufacturing company. Plus, I have been doing graphic design and logo designs for more years than I want to admit. I did win a design contest from Graphic Design USA magazine a couple years ago for a logo design. I have some of my logos in just about every state being used by businesses. Plus, I know Photoshop in and out. I can also take photos and draw illustrations and have done all the photos and graphics for my company's website. And I can also do caricatures.

If you want to send anything my way to edit, design, etc., just email me.

Last edited: May 27, 2008

3. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

I spent 20 years as an Air Force journalist, including stints as a newspaper editor and magazine assistant editor. I can translate stuff into "English" if you need me to.

4. Earl Easter

Earl Easter Pheasant Hunter Forum Contributor

Hi ya Chris.
    In that format that you talk about "Magazine On Line" you could sell some ads and recapture some bucks for the site. CO OP. Iffin ya need some help with design and drawings i also could help you in those areas for free.....
    I know Photoshop,have a digital camera, I can use Illustrator, Quark but i type like Chit about 27 words pm no mistakes..... LOL.........

earl easter......

5. A new idea . . .

. . . would be to have a magazine or a section about inventions or creative projects of members.

I mention this as I have applied for a patent on a new type engine
    that is very high power and very low pollution.

If you send your mailing address I will send you a copy of a news article already done on the engine along with a copy of the patent application.

6. I think a lot of introductions and 101s could be useful. Like how to clean a gun, how often should you clean it, etc. How to build a gun from parts, what to look for when buying a used gun. Just get some of the people who have a lot of knowledge to put some 101s out.

My Mosin thread has a TON of great information for anyone who is looking to buy a Mosin for the first time. Thanks to the Mosin nuts on this forum they gave me all the information I will need when I make my purchase in a few weeks.

I think resources like that are just invaluable.

7. To continue on tlarkin's idea... maybe have the link :

Firearms Manuals added to your list of 101's. Someone else on this forum brought this to light and it surely is useful, especially to this crowd of diverse owners.

Chris (or anyone else for that matter) If you need help, please let me know what I can do to assist...

Maybe break it down into a search-based topic area and see if any gun-friendly websites like (for example) Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide or MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes would be interested in sponsoring a hyperlink to this forum.

... just an idea...

8. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Chris, I have edited three newsletters and the paper back when I was cadet at the Zoo. I also enjoy writing. If this gets going in an online format, I'd be happy to help edit and to write.

The thought does occur we could mine the stickies and some of the more itneresting threads for an issue or two, just to get started....

9. If there is like a nomination system at all, I nominate Cyrano definitely. His posts are informative, well thought, easy to follow and he doesn't seem to have any sort of bias to most of what he says. He is good at just giving the facts.

Thanks for your post in my Mosin thread, I am basically using exactly what you said to buy one.

10. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Chris i would like to see a the gunsmith thread as a stand alone, so we could discuss all the aspects of gunsmithing and different tools we have made, and mabe trade different tools and equipment ect,ect. not sell but trade or loan as neccssary.
    steve

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

First thing I would add is a "spell-check feature." I'm surprised one isn't here already. As it stands now, I have to go to Microsoft Word and use theirs, which takes additional time.

12. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

I use firefox which spell checks for me. But that's still a good idea.

13. A good gun magazine will have excellent gun test and range reports !

A How it's done section would be nice. example Checking head space, sighting in Iron sights, replaceing a stock...stuff like that.

A section on a guns history makes a good read too .

Since it will be an internet based magazine could it have a Problem Solver link.
    example : I own a Remington 22 speedmaster that Jams every third shot !!! What can I do to fix this problem.
    Answear : Have you tried other brands of ammo ?
    Thats all

14. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

+1 me know spel soo goood

LOL

15. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    What AH and sbowers said.

A stand-alone gunsmithing thread with folks like Mooseman, SwedeSteve, seabeescotty and cetmedog (all qualified gunsmiths) would be priceless. All four of them have solved problems for me, ranging from taming Mosin recoil to something my bad shoulder can stand to devising a design for a bullpup AK that will pass the oppressive NY state gun laws. If they are willing to share their expertise, everyone benefits.

Me, I'd call the Problem Solver section something like The Potbellied Stove, to give the image of a bunch of guys in comfy wooden chairs around the ol' woodstove, just settin' and kickin' problems around and comin' up with workable answers. Yassuh.

We might also have a section of the magazine called the Bargain Board or something, where we can put up the best prices on ammo, fast-breaking gun sale bargains (e.g., the PA-63 in 9x18 Makarov sale at J&G in November and December of 2007 where they were going for just $99) or neat, cheap accessories.

I'd also like to see a section called "I Learned Something From This" where people can recount screwups they've made or they saw other people make, that we can all learn something from.

For example, back in March a longtime blackpowder shooter at my club broke standard muzzleloading procedure and didn't make sure his previous powder charge had been completely consumed. He poured in the next powder charge, seated the ball, and was tamping everything down with his wood and knurled brass ramrod when a fragment from the previous charge ignited the new charge. The knurled end of the ramrod blew throught his fingers, ripping three of them badly. The ramrod made one hole in the roof of the rifle range, the ball another, and the hapless shooter, a senior member of the club, was taken to the hospital two miles away in an ambulance to get his hand sewn up. He was lucky not to lose a digit or any function in his fingers, - and luckier still he hadn't had his head over the muzzle the way some blackpowder shooters do as they ram the charge home.

See what I mean? I'm sure everyone on this forum has a "No sh*t, there I was when..." story like that. Or stories. Things we can all learn something from.

You know, I do think we could do this, for five or six issues, anyway.

16. I would like to see something like a THIS IS type of area. As in showing what a certain firearm is and being able to post pics and comments. I know this is what the forum is but I am taking about more of a sticky type area where people could look up different info on a firearm. Kind of a library type section. That would be great.

17. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

We have one of those sections. Or...we did have one of those sections.

18. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

For those of us in the Mosin-Nagant forum, we've discovered the lack of a spell check doesn't matter a whit! We're less worried about proper English spellings than getting the information across quickly. Of course, just misspell something like "Izhevsk" and you're subject to public whipping and humiliation...

Amen! Brother Cyrano really has some great ideas!

That "Problem Solver" section would be a blessing to many of us. Those of us in the M-N forum already get the benefits of having these experienced gunsmiths actively involved, but having it where all could chip in on everything from Arisakas to Waffenfabriks would benefit everybody in the forums.

That Bargain Board would be extremely useful, and wouldn't tie up individual forum areas to pass on very transient pricing information.

And "I learned about guns from that..." would be something we ALL could share in. Since we all have erred and fallen short of the glory... :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  19. Troy

Troy G&G Enthusiast

you could have a hell of a classifieds section. guys could offer their services and people would have a place to start when looking for something. we got stock builders (BRG3), stock finishers (Stock Doc) just to name two. that could be a heck of a resource and help drum up some buisness for the fine techs we got on board.

the fine work would add to the integrity of the magazine.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  20. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

How about a section for firearm user manuals/pictoral guides? Dedicate a person as a moderator. People can email this person scans/PDFs of the manuals for their firearms and the moderator can make a post of it in a forum with similar setup to the "Manufacturer" forum.

Or perhaps they can have it on another section of the site:

gunandgame.com/guides/ ...or something