opinions on ballistic tip

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by fishnfool1991, May 8, 2008.

1. does anyone have opinions on the balistic tip ammo i kinda like it anyone else?

2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I like it just fine on deer-sized and smaller game. On anything larger, I'd want something that holds together and doesn't expand as quickly.

3. .280Rem

.280Rem Guest

Depends on the caliber and velocity, as well as the intended target. Not so good on even deer sized game if you're gonna run lighter weights at high magnum velocities such as 7mm 140s out of a 7mmRM or larger 7mmMag. Ok for deer sized game most likely if run under 3000fps like a 140 run at 7-08 velocity.

4. turner

turner Guest

+1..!!!

5. .280Rem

.280Rem Guest

Another +1 here.

6. turner

turner Guest

Only question I'd have then....What exactly would a 140 ballistic tip be used for?? I've used them with excellent results on deer sized game. Many problems found with "poor" bullet performance on deer, I believe are due to "over built" bullets that zip through without expending enough energy on the target. The deer no doubt will die with proper bullet placement, but from a smaller diameter wound and possibly after a l o o o ng tracking job. That, I doubt, would be the case with said loads. If a 22-250 will smack down a deer sized animal with a 60gr (or thereabouts) load, a 140 driven over 3,000 FPS would/should simply be devastating.